Wheeler’s Top 100 prospects

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
While I don't often agree with wide ranging prospect rankings, I appreciate that someone is trying to not only quantify it, but put it in front of the rabid cross-section of hockey fans who are into debating that sort of thing.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This dude is such an unbelievable asshat. This shtick of overrating guys from every most recent draft in every rankings is so corny

I mean... it's what most fans do too. When guys get into the harder, less flashy part of development (like being in their first year or two in the AHL), guys drop on lists like a stone in favor of the latest and greatest.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I mean... it's what most fans do too. When guys get into the harder, less flashy part of development (like being in their first year or two in the AHL), guys drop on lists like a stone in favor of the latest and greatest.
I hold people who make a living out of writing about this stuff for a major publication to a higher standard than the average fan

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Edvinsson is too low. Definitely shouldnt be on a different tier than Nikishin

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Edvinsson is too low. Definitely shouldnt be on a different tier than Nikishin
Do you believe Edvinsson to have much better defensive skills than Nikishin? It would seem that Nikishin has a bit higher of offensive ceiling even though he's 2 birthyears older than Edvinsson.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
This dude is such an unbelievable asshat. This shtick of overrating guys from every most recent draft in every rankings is so corny
This isn't entirely fair. New draft classes will always be more represented in these lists because none of them will be in the NHL. Most, if not all, of the top picks from previous classes will be considered graduated.

Every fan base will know their guys better than anyone, so everyone will feel aggrieved. Most of the time we end up very wrong as well and we only focus on the 20 or so prospects from our favorite team.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Do you believe Edvinsson to have much better defensive skills than Nikishin? It would seem that Nikishin has a bit higher of offensive ceiling even though he's 2 birthyears older than Edvinsson.
Yes. Edvinsson is dominant defensively and in transition. Hes a 6'7 220 lb athletic freak that was picked 6th overall for a reason. All hes done since being drafted there is live up to/exceed expectations.

No reason a guy drafted that much lower should have passed him in a completely tier unless youre just reading their hockeydb pages

Reactions: FrankGallagher

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Yes. Edvinsson is dominant defensively and in transition. Hes a 6'7 220 lb athletic freak that was picked 6th overall for a reason. All hes done since being drafted there is live up to/exceed expectations.

No reason a guy drafted that much lower should have passed him in a completely tier unless youre just reading their hockeydb pages
Wheeler tends to favor the points producers over the all around Ryan McDonagh types. Not saying it's right, just the reality of it. And many probably rank Edvinsson a bit lower than he probably should because his offensive ceiling is still in question.

I wouldn't say he's exceeded offensive expectations. If he had, he would be putting up 46 points in 54 games in the A, in that range.

Reactions: Realgud

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

For some reason it suddenly occurred to me that Dallas was the team that supposedly had Edvinsson #1.

High praise from a team with their recent draft history.

Reactions: Realgud

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
He has also posted his goalie rankings

1. Wallstedt
2. Askarov

3. Fowler
4. Knight
5. Levi
6. Wolf
7. Cossa
8. Augustine

Only two guys from 2024 where Nabokov at #11 and George at #17

(Hard to argue with top couple of guys, but some random names in back half)

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

1. Wallstedt
2. Askarov

3. Fowler
4. Knight
5. Levi
6. Wolf
7. Cossa
8. Augustine

I wouldn't rank Knight that high considering the stops and starts in his development plus the fact that his SV% in the A wasn't that great this past year.

Reactions: Favin

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto

1. Wallstedt
2. Askarov

3. Fowler
4. Knight
5. Levi
6. Wolf
7. Cossa
8. Augustine

I would have something like

Wallstedt
Askarov
Fowler

Hrabal
Augustine

Lindbom
Levi
Cossa
Yegerov
Portillo
Nabakov
Gidlof

Wolf
Gajan
Dobes
Clara
George

(but then I look back at my old goalie rankings and am reminded why I don't normally post them)

Reactions: Bone Density

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
It checks out. Let's assume every draft class is equal.

From 2020: 40 guys have graduated to NHL regulars. If you're a 2020 prospect and not graduated yet, you're probably outside of the top 30 in the class, and so probably behind every 1st rounder from this year
From 2021: 11 of the top guys have graduated, and so if you aren't graduated yet, you probably fall behind all the guys drafted top 10-12 or so.
From 2022: 4 guys have graduated (Nemec is for some reason like 2 games short), if you haven't graduated yet, you probably aren't a top 5 guy compared to the class.
From 2023: 4 guys have graduated, if you haven't graduated yet, you probably aren't in the top 3 of your class.

Let's say the top 10 guys from each class make up a top 50.

Now take out the graduated guys.

You now have:
0 guys from 2020
0 guys from 2021
6 guys from 2022
6 guys from 2023
10 guys from 2024

And instead of an even list, now nearly 50% of the list is recent picks.

The best prospects graduate. Simple as that

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Except NIkishin had gaudy stats, so can't really
He's also the oldest guy here basically.

Is what Nikishin is doing in the KHL more impressive than Faber, Sanderson, Guhle, Laf, Mercer, Jarvis, Lundell, Stutzle, Byfield, Peterka, etc etc etc have done in the NHL?

Is he a top 10 guy in his own class?

In this he's being placed behind just 5 guys from this 2024 draft class

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Top 100 by junior league

USHL 22
WHL 18
OHL 15
QMJHL 6
Jr A 3

Sweden 15
Russia 10
Finland 4
Czech 3
Germany 1
Slovakia 1
Switzerland 1
Norway 1

Top-100 by Nationality

Canada 43
USA 21
Sweden 11
Russia 10
Finland 4
Czech 3
Norway 2
Austria 2
Slovakia 2
Germany 1
Belarus 1

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
For some reason it suddenly occurred to me that Dallas was the team that supposedly had Edvinsson #1.

High praise from a team with their recent draft history.
Yep. Edvinssons surgery this year kinda threw a wrench into things but Nill and the guys in Dallas had him number one on their entire draft board according to Nill himself. Now all hes done is be really good and hes falling in these rankings because he isnt the shiny new toy

1. Wallstedt
2. Askarov

3. Fowler
4. Knight
5. Levi
6. Wolf
7. Cossa
8. Augustine

No one on that list is random if you follow prospects at all lol.

Cossa just had a better statistical season than Wallstedt or Askarov have ever had in North America and was drafted higher than Wallstedt in the same draft but hes 5 spots behind both doesnt make any sense.

Fowler cant get into the net over Augustine in the WJC and doesnt sniff the mens worlds but hes also 5spots ahead... once again doesnt make a lot of sense

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No one said the Habs don't have good prospects. You had 4 Habs in the top 18. See where Joshua Roy is ranked?
Where would you rank someone you think had the potential to be a 60 points player with great supporting qualities as of this year? Have you ever figured maybe I'm just very high on Roy and not actually an homer? If I wanted to be a homer I would've included Hage and Beck.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Top 100 by junior league

USHL 22
WHL 18
OHL 15
QMJHL 6
Jr A 3

Sweden 15
Russia 10
Finland 4
Czech 3
Germany 1
Slovakia 1
Switzerland 1
Norway 1

Top-100 by Nationality

Canada 43
USA 21
Sweden 11
Russia 10
Finland 4
Czech 3
Norway 2
Austria 2
Slovakia 2
Germany 1
Belarus 1
Who is the German he has on the list? Is he still including Reichel as a prospect or is it Lutz?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad