Wheeler’s Top 100 prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The Canes have 4 prospects in the Wheeler Top 100, two of them (Nikishin and Jackson Blake) being from draft picks below the second round. That's pretty good work. In fact, the only guys in Wheeler's Top 100 who were not drafted in the first two rounds of their respective draft are Nikishin, Joshua Roy (MTL), Jordan Dumais (CBJ), and Jackson Blake.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
The Canes have 4 prospects in the Wheeler Top 100, two of them (Nikishin and Jackson Blake) being from draft picks below the second round. That's pretty good work. In fact, the only guys in Wheeler's Top 100 who were not drafted in the first two rounds of their respective draft are Nikishin, Joshua Roy (MTL), Jordan Dumais (CBJ), and Jackson Blake.
Did he list Stankoven? Stankoven would still count as a prospect by most metrics and has played fewer NHL games than a lot of guys who are still teetering on prospect/non-prospect status. Regardless, he's an absolute steal for Dallas.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Are you actually taking one guys ranking to prove a point nobody made? Who said it was universal? They said he was highly ranked on several lists.
No they did not. I got literally 100 rage filled replies by Edmonton fans to one post suggesting he might not be a top prospect to everyone who watches him.

He didn’t even make the top 100 on one of the most successful hockey prospect journalists. That might help explain the trade a bit more to the hundreds of people claiming to be confused about the trade.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

North

Jun 25, 2009
No they did not. I got literally 100 rage filled replies by Edmonton fans to one post suggesting he might not be a top prospect to everyone who watches him.

He didn’t even make the top 100 on one of the most successful hockey prospect journalists. That might help explain the trade a bit more to the hundreds of people claiming to be confused about the trade.
Be for real Doug. Using this to justify your point is hilarious.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
People complaining about Wheeler have to take into account he is doing an impossible job. By his account, he is away from his family 3-4 months a year and I have no reason not to believe him. Although, if your task is to scout the entire planet, you will still have limited viewings on players during that span.

So basically, Wheeler is 100x more knowledgeable that people on this site in the sense that he watches a hell lot more minor hockey than we do.

But the standard people set is basically to be very accurate in these lists. Pro acouts would
Probably also struggle tonwrite those lists. And their job is to scout a specific area. Not the entire planet.

So my point is, even though his list will be inaccurate due to the impossible task he tries to accomplish, I still has respect for what he does as a member of the « hockey community » (i.e try to establish a barometer or projection for fans)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
People complaining about Wheeler have to take into account he is doing an impossible job. By his account, he is away from his family 3-4 months a year and I have no reason not to believe him. Although, if your task is to scout the entire planet, you will still have limited viewings on players during that span.

So basically, Wheeler is 100x more knowledgeable that people on this site in the sense that he watches a hell lot more minor hockey than we do.

But the standard people set is basically to be very accurate in these lists. Pro acouts would
Probably also struggle tonwrite those lists. And their job is to scout a specific area. Not the entire planet.

So my point is, even though his list will be inaccurate due to the impossible task he tries to accomplish, I still has respect for what he does as a member of the « hockey community » (i.e try to establish a barometer or projection for fans)

I wouldn't say he is 100x more knowledgeable, probably 100x more privileged. I mean he has a very comfortable job following a child's game played by adults, a game that he has undoubtedly loved as long as he can remember. He gets to do so and be paid and backed by a massive news outlet, giving him a lot of security. He gets credentialed access to tournaments and events, to have direct contact players, with travel and food that is likely fully paid for; barriers that 99.999999% of the interested population have to clear on their own.

None of that, however, translates directly to knowledge. He watches a ton of hockey, and he has direct contact with a ton of professional and amateur scouts and coaches, yet he routinely misses the mark on what the league seems to value and routinely undervalues the traits that have been proven time and time again to make high quality NHL players. Not to say that there is only one mold of player that works (there are several) but he views everything with the same set of blinders on. He will almost always undervalue the significance of size and strength and how that influences a player climbing levels. He will undervalue the importance of physicality and play along the boards or at the front of the net. He will undervalue the detailed and responsible defensive play of forwards and defensemen alike.

The best way I can dumb it down, the things he values makes it seem as if he scouts as if they are candidates to be selected for the ASG various skills competitions, not to be quality NHL players.

While I respect the amount of time that he puts into his work, I don't feel bad that he is away from his family doing a job that falls under the "labor of love" category in my mind. He chooses to do this work and gets paid to do so, but if it was a big enough drain on his personal life, he could just walk away. His biggest shortcoming is that he just refuses to make actual changes to his process; he writes his self-audit piece on an annual basis about prospects he was wrong about, but never seems to put those lessons learned into action.

And if he is going to continue to operate that way, he should learn to not be so soft when people file criticism of his opinion.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I wouldn't say he is 100x more knowledgeable, probably 100x more privileged. I mean he has a very comfortable job following a child's game played by adults, a game that he has undoubtedly loved as long as he can remember. He gets to do so and be paid and backed by a massive news outlet, giving him a lot of security. He gets credentialed access to tournaments and events, to have direct contact players, with travel and food that is likely fully paid for; barriers that 99.999999% of the interested population have to clear on their own.

None of that, however, translates directly to knowledge. He watches a ton of hockey, and he has direct contact with a ton of professional and amateur scouts and coaches, yet he routinely misses the mark on what the league seems to value and routinely undervalues the traits that have been proven time and time again to make high quality NHL players. Not to say that there is only one mold of player that works (there are several) but he views everything with the same set of blinders on. He will almost always undervalue the significance of size and strength and how that influences a player climbing levels. He will undervalue the importance of physicality and play along the boards or at the front of the net. He will undervalue the detailed and responsible defensive play of forwards and defensemen alike.

The best way I can dumb it down, the things he values makes it seem as if he scouts as if they are candidates to be selected for the ASG various skills competitions, not to be quality NHL players.

While I respect the amount of time that he puts into his work, I don't feel bad that he is away from his family doing a job that falls under the "labor of love" category in my mind. He chooses to do this work and gets paid to do so, but if it was a big enough drain on his personal life, he could just walk away. His biggest shortcoming is that he just refuses to make actual changes to his process; he writes his self-audit piece on an annual basis about prospects he was wrong about, but never seems to put those lessons learned into action.

And if he is going to continue to operate that way, he should learn to not be so soft when people file criticism of his opinion.
Do you think Wheeler's stylistic bias is too idealistic of what he thinks "how hockey should be"? Even though his views on hockey don't fully translate to the NHL on a consistent basis (especially and specifically in regards to playoff style hockey). Just something interesting I've pondered regarding the Wheeler types

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Do you think Wheeler's stylistic bias is too idealistic of what he thinks "how hockey should be"? Even though his views on hockey don't fully translate to the NHL on a consistent basis (especially and specifically in regards to playoff style hockey). Just something interesting I've pondered regarding the Wheeler types

I think it's not what it "should be" but more in line with the notion of finding some game breaking talent. Like he wants to be the guy who can point to his rankings in 10 years and say "see look, I believed in Eiserman back when he was first drafted" after he becomes a regular threat for 40+ goals. The problem is he does a really poor job of contextualizing his own opinion in a way that other people will understand it. Like Pronman does his piece the past few years of "these are my personal favorite prospects" which don't have to align perfectly with his rankings; he keeps some plausible objectivity to his rankings. It feels like Wheeler's list is just an avid fan doing rankings, so in the end his "ranking" feels like it's no different than how he categorizes his favorite flavors of ice cream.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Wheeler with 6 Habs in his top 100? Homer.
Pretty sure even in your batshit crazy rankings most acknowledged that the Habs have a top prospect pool.

... While laughing at the notion that Joshua Roy is a top 20 prospect and better than Stankoven or Nikishin.

Do better.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
3 out of 50 is the same percentage as 6 out of 100
Which doesn't do shit to dispel the idea of people discrediting you as a homer considering you ranked Roy 18th lol.

Nobody's disputing the Habs have a good prospect pool. They're saying the Habs have a good prospect pool and you're still a homer. Both can be, and are true.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Which doesn't do shit to dispel the idea of people discrediting you as a homer considering you ranked Roy 18th lol.

Nobody's disputing the Habs have a good prospect pool. They're saying the Habs have a good prospect pool and you're still a homer. Both can be, and are true.
Did Jagger Firkus make the top 100 or am I just a Seattle homer maybe? It's crazy, maybe I just like some players more than others despite their allegiance.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Did Jagger Firkus make the top 100 or am I just a Seattle homer maybe? It's crazy, maybe I just like some players more than others despite their allegiance.
It's weird that you continue to try to explain away your clear Montreal bias with "Well I ranked this guy higher than some too, does that make me a homer for them?!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad