What's going on with Tavares ?

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
We were in big trouble the moment we signed Tavares the first time, if not before.
Management got all excited because they blew their pitch to Stamkos and Tavares was finally a local boy who wanted to wear the blue and white. They were arrogant enough to think they didn’t need to build a NHL defense because their four star forwards would possess the puck all the time. Then they moved Kadri who for $6.5M less had scored thirty goals two years in a row and had the grit Dubas didn’t value as a 2C at the same team believing Rielly was a 1D who would help them build an unstoppable offense a la the 1980’s Oilers. Unfortunately Matthews and Marner convinced Dubas they were already better players than Tavares and he happily handed them record breaking contracts as RFA's. In retrospect, it’s hard to imagine a management group handling their opportunity to build a deep, talented team more poorly.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Management got all excited because they blew their pitch to Stamkos and Tavares was finally a local boy who wanted to wear the blue and white. They were arrogant enough to think they didn’t need to build a NHL defense because their four star forwards would possess the puck all the time. Then they moved Kadri who for $6.5M less had scored thirty goals two years in a row and had the grit Dubas didn’t value as a 2C at the same team believing Rielly was a 1D who would help them build an unstoppable offense a la the 1980’s Oilers. Unfortunately Matthews and Marner convinced Dubas they were already better players than Tavares and he happily handed them record breaking contracts as RFA's. In retrospect, it’s hard to imagine a management group handling their opportunity to build a deep, talented team more poorly.
Well said.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
3.5mil is too much, look at JVR’s contract.
That’s what JT is if he moves to the wing.

JVR signed coming off a 29 point season.

JVR's previous was $7mm, was 36 goal 54 point season. He was younger.

Tavares is coming off a 29 goal, 65 point season.

I don't have a lot of emtion tied to Tavares, but my guess he'll get offers like the Malkin deal.

Reactions: banks

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

I don't have a lot of emtion tied to Tavares, but my guess he'll get offers like the Malkin deal.
His numbers now are similar to Giroux.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

JT points last season was boasted by Willie’s career year and PP.
If he ends up playing on a line away from Willie with McMann and Robbie or Calle. His EV points will drop by at least 1/3. That’s pretty much a 50pts player.
Malkin’s deal was also partly as a rewards for your career thing, I don’t think JT qualifies that with the Leafs with ONE playoff round win.

Reactions: arso40

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
tavares really should be playing 3C this season with limited minutes and 2nd PP duties IMO. Let him play out his last year and then move on.

We need to get a 2C in place and soon; if not then just try Willy as 2C.

We should have been gearing up for Tavares at wing last offseason, have him get heavier and meaner in front of the net instead slimming down so he can pretend he can still have a two way impact at C.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Management got all excited because they blew their pitch to Stamkos and Tavares was finally a local boy who wanted to wear the blue and white.
Stamkos was Lou and Tavares was Dubas. I really think if we had offered Stamkos the Tavares deal, he would have taken it. He was obviously interested in the Leafs, but we didn't offer enough money IMO. I would have strongly preferred Stamkos.

Reactions: arso40

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I was so happy when I got divorced.

My ex hated my guts. The thought of trying to stay with her any longer never even crossed my mind. Because I'm not dumb enough to hang around somewhere I'm not wanted.

Clearly can't say the same about Captain Boat Anchor.

I suspect the players read these comments from time to time. It wouldn't surprise me if ML$Epr mines this site. So Tavares must have pretty good idea he isn't welcome here anymore.

If he's on the team next year I might actually buy a ticket just to go boo him.

Time to pack your bags and go pal. You can be a failure somewhere else. No reason for hurt feelings though, it's nothing personal, just business.

Sorry it didn't work out like the marriage from heaven we were all told it was gonna be.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018

My ex hated my guts. The thought of trying to stay with her any longer never even crossed my mind. Because I'm not dumb enough to hang around somewhere I'm not wanted.

I suspect the players read these comments from time to time. It wouldn't surprise me if ML$Epr mines this site. So Tavares must have pretty good idea he isn't welcome here anymore.

Time to pack your bags and go pal. You can be a failure somewhere else. No reason for hurt feelings though, it's nothing personal, just business.

Sorry it didn't work out like the marriage from heaven we were all told it was gonna be.
lol… you seriously think the Toronto Maple Leafs hate John Tavares like your ex wife hates you?

Nobody at MLSE is feeling about John Tavares like your wife feels about you.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019

You're mad if you think the prevailing opinion on HF is the same as the majority opinion of the majority of fans. Most fans don't hate Tavares.

And even if they did, I'd bet he doesn't base his life choices on the opinion of fans. You're giving yourself too much credit.

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad