Value of: What's a Realistic Pettersson trade even look like?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
have to agree, Barzal is an absolute stud. Has already beaten multiple hall of famers in the playoffs among other stars in this league and has the potential to be a 90 plus point guy in a different environment (already put up 85 big ones as a 20 year old rookie ) plus an emerging 21 year old Right handed potential top #1-2 dman? The Isles would pass I suspect. As far as Petey, being too lazy look it up but has he scored over 70 points in the NHL? Appears to play in a wide open run and gun environment and feasts on PP points with better scoring sidekicks to contribute.

His first two seasons he scored 132 points in 139 games followed by 18 points in 17 playoff games. He didn't have 70 points, but that's entirely due to covid stopping his sophomore season short. The Canucks weren't really run and gun either, just poor defensively, except when the Pettersson line was out. And his 5v5 numbers were very good beyond the PP, despite Travis Green stupidly limiting his minutes. He was tied for 18th in 5v5 points in '20, and tied Barzal in 5v5 points as a rookie in 11 fewer games. As for linemates, Miller was good in '19, but their scoring was basically the same, and Pettersson had a better influence on goals for when he was on the ice. He didn't have Miller as a rookie either. Even last year, he had 14 5v5 points in 26 games, which, prorated to 56 games would be 30 points. That would have put him in a 4 way tie for 23rd in the league. Overall, for those first three seasons of his career, his 2.50 P/60 at 5v5 put him 17th in the league among the 323 forwards who played at least 2000 minutes. He's obviously sucked 5v5 this year, but he's shown to be a very good producer there, while having a highly positive influence on GF% over his first three years, which is what anyone acquiring him would be thinking he can get back to.[/QUOTE]

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
His first two seasons he scored 132 points in 139 games followed by 18 points in 17 playoff games. He didn't have 70 points, but that's entirely due to covid stopping his sophomore season short. The Canucks weren't really run and gun either, just poor defensively, except when the Pettersson line was out. And his 5v5 numbers were very good beyond the PP, despite Travis Green stupidly limiting his minutes. He was tied for 18th in 5v5 points in '20, and tied Barzal in 5v5 points as a rookie in 11 fewer games. As for linemates, Miller was good in '19, but their scoring was basically the same, and Pettersson had a better influence on goals for when he was on the ice. He didn't have Miller as a rookie either. Even last year, he had 14 5v5 points in 26 games, which, prorated to 56 games would be 30 points. That would have put him in a 4 way tie for 23rd in the league. Overall, for those first three seasons of his career, his 2.50 P/60 at 5v5 put him 17th in the league among the 323 forwards who played at least 2000 minutes. He's obviously sucked 5v5 this year, but he's shown to be a very good producer there, while having a highly positive influence on GF% over his first three years, which is what anyone acquiring him would be thinking he can get back to.
[/QUOTE]

so the team didn't or does not focus on playing defense. Unlike the rigid Trotz. Thanks

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
VAN not getting coke for pepsi, 1:1 type deal, esp w/EP --- while still having high end value --- not merely off but extensively not producing.

Dallas not giving up Heisk, DET not giving up Seid.

Sure, Pete goes nowhere w/o Canuck consent, but no one offers to pay except what they choose to offer. So VAN has to decide if it want to hold on to EP or go for an acceptable package.
That package can have signif profit for VAN, but it must yield to the buying club's choice of currency; if not, buyer does not have enuf incentive to trade.

Crushed for coupla days but will try to have a thread the needle offer from NYR later this wk.
Despite signif EP woes this season, it woul have to be a signif pay in a package where pieces are from Rangers depth, not where they are thin.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
EP40 is struggling in Vancouver, The knives are starting to come out already, Even with the Canucks playing so well.
SN650 post game show it was a significant talking point, And fans are getting frustrated with his current play.
Just for fun, and as a class project, What does a EP40 Trade remotely look like?
Love EP but he looks extremely frail and weak.

Having said that would love to see him on the Avs eating chickpea pasta.

Not sure how or what it would take but Byram is off limits.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
VAN not getting coke for pepsi, 1:1 type deal, esp w/EP --- while still having high end value --- not merely off but extensively not producing.

Dallas not giving up Heisk, DET not giving up Seid.

Sure, Pete goes nowhere w/o Canuck consent, but no one offers to pay except what they choose to offer. So VAN has to decide if it want to hold on to EP or go for an acceptable package.
That package can have signif profit for VAN, but it must yield to the buying club's choice of currency; if not, buyer does not have enuf incentive to trade.

Crushed for coupla days but will try to have a thread the needle offer from NYR later this wk.
Despite signif EP woes this season, it woul have to be a signif pay in a package where pieces are from Rangers depth, not where they are thin.
Incoming Zac Jones + Kravtsov garbage...

EP not heading to NYR unless Schneider + one of Kakoo / Laf + ??? is heading VAN way

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
34 game slump with 2 coaches and the whole team playing much better. Its time to call it what it is and its a regression in his skill level due to a poor work ethic during the offseas0n transiting into a season where literally anyone on the ice can knock him off the puck

this isnt a "oh he is still getting his chances" this is a "where the F is Petey and is he even playing today"

Good thing development isn't linear, guess you've never heard of that before, guess you would have traded Mack when he was going to through his slump?

Last edited:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I don't see a trade to be made here.

Vancouver would be crazy to trade him for anything less then a 1:1 deal. But from the other team perspective, why would you trade for player that is producing? And you are not sure if he will return to form?

From the Blues, I would expect Vancouver to ask for Kyrou or Thomas. But as a Blues fans, both of those guys are really playing well - while EP out produced then on a ppg bases over the last two years, he isn't going it now. I would rather keep my players. (Too much risk to take a guy who isn't producing for guys who are). Both seemed to have figure it out and EP is having an off year.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It would be really stupid and shortsighted for Vancouver to trade him. He’s one of the most naturally gifted players alive. He’s just in a bad rut, and gotta work some issues out.

Lots Avs fans wanted to trade Mackinnon when he as having a couple of tough seasons after his rookie season. Those to were the stupid and shortsighted ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I dont f***ing know...maybe cause it is when your trying to win a f***ing stanley cup and playing your hardest against the leagues best with less penalties called too!
You’re moving goalposts.

The playoff is never considered a PPG season
I would never say Mackinnon has scored at PPG or better 8 times.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Incoming Zac Jones + Kravtsov garbage...

EP not heading to NYR unless Schneider + one of Kakoo / Laf + ??? is heading VAN way

No, NY will pay in currency it wants or no deal

too busy to detail now but neither Krav [tearing up KHL] nor Jones [think the guy said he averaged a pt per last 10 games] is garbage

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
No, NY will pay in currency it wants or no deal

too busy to detail now but neither Krav [tearing up KHL] nor Jones [think the guy said he averaged a pt per last 10 games] is garbage
Krav is 0.5ppg in the KHL at 22, how is he "tearing it up" lol.

Keav is worth a 2nd at the monent, Jones' a dime a dozen prospect, you're not getting EP with thos kibd of guys

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Good thing development isn't linear, guess you've never heard of that before, guess you would have traded Mack when he was going to through his slump?

HE ISNT MACKINNON. Petey doesnt have the physical toolbelt Mackinnon has I dont see how anyone looks at those two players and say they are a comp at all.

Feb 19, 2018
Honestly? I'd give you Laf + one of our good D prospects for EP. Easy.
Laff and Schneider for Pettersson would probably get it done to be honest. To a new management they would not be bias and take the deal that helped a proper rebuild. Both those players fit in the window and Pettersson would explode I imagine.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

Keav is worth a 2nd at the monent, Jones' a dime a dozen prospect, you're not getting EP with thos kibd of guys
I agree Kravtsov isn't tearing it up, but he's at 0.66PPG according to the KHL website. Looks like he's playing about 5 minutes less TOI/G than the guys at the top. :dunno:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The only way you obtain a player at his caliber is when he is struggling, This is why people keep bringing him up around circles.
The moment Petey starts to rip it up again, There would be less than a 0% Chance he would get traded.
Ruthaford is known to make big trades, to wheel and deal, and has no connection with Pettersson, If the right deal came along, I can absolutely see it happening, but only for a massive ransom.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I agree Kravtsov isn't tearing it up, but he's at 0.66PPG according to the KHL website. Looks like he's playing about 5 minutes less TOI/G than the guys at the top. :dunno:

Again, doesn't change the fact he's a 22yo prospect that's not even near ppg in a lower level league. He's not going to be a core piece in a deal for a star player, he'll be a throw in.

Same goes for Zac Jones, diminutive offensive-minded only d-man aren't worth that much in the NHL nowadays.

If the Rangers want EP, the deal STARTS with Laf Or Kakko + Schneider + something else

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Jones NOT dime a doz
and Krav will not be in the prop
he is worth a mid 1st but NY will use to replace the dealt Strome

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Jones NOT dime a doz
and Krav will not be in the prop
he is worth a mid 1st but NY will use to replace the dealt Strome
22Y prospect struggling in the AHL and not dominating the KHL aren't worth a mid 1st rd pick.

Zac Jones isn't cracking the top100 prospect in the NHL. So yah, dime a dozen

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Realistically, the Canucks will shop him as the player who was at his peak not so very long ago, full of promise and with a steep upward trajectory. They will set his value accordingly. Buyers will point out the player he is right now and won't offer value commensurate with the player as he was at his best at the NHL level. That divide probably makes a trade unworkable at the moment. Vancouver's best move is to coach him up and keep him.

Reactions: bernmeister

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I think a team serious about acquiring him would want to get a real feel for what's behind the struggles of this year (so far) and last. Is it covid anxiety? Is it unhappiness with the organization? Just a funk? There's enough of a pattern that I can't see the offers of today being what they would have been two years ago.

I'd really be shocked if Vancouver put him in the market though, unless they really wanted to be rid of him. He's only 23 and has shown a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad