Value of: What's a Realistic Pettersson trade even look like?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Couple seasons? He had 21 points in 26 games last year. He missed half of a shortened covid ridden season.

You must be pretty confident in your teams amateur scouting (lol) if you think you're all but guaranteed a better player than Elias Pettersson who has already won a calder and performed at a near ppg pace over the course of his career.

EP would need a new deal (and reach UFA status) before Habs are contending again... Therefore why waste an asset whom you have control over for 7+ years? Habs will gladly pick a guy like Wright or Savoir over trading their pick for EP considering where they are

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The team is firing on almost all cylinders, despite covid running roughshod again.

Boeser, the other scapegoat for our offense under Green, was back to form before going through covid isolation.

Pettersson is snakebitten offensively, but is still contributing to the team's success. If a team is serious about wanting him on their team, they are paying for the PPG Calder winning Pettersson, and hearing that he's "regressed" or "fallen off" as justification for lowballing is just trying to troll.

A single propsect or draft pick isn't worth Pettersson. The only one for one piece is another PPG top line center or #1 RHD of comparable age and contract. We don't want, and can't take, 10 dimes for a dollar either.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
I would not trade Pettersson, I'd rather continue saying he'll be better next game like I've been doing for 30 games so far. :laugh:

I also have zero interest in -29 LD Chychrun no thanks.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
EP would need a new deal (and reach UFA status) before Habs are contending again... Therefore why waste an asset whom you have control over for 7+ years? Habs will gladly pick a guy like Wright or Savoir over trading their pick for EP considering where they are

That's fair, makes sense. I was speaking more in terms of his value relative to his so called regression.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
That's fair, makes sense. I was speaking more in terms of his value relative to his so called regression.
We he has regressed. His value is still high, don't get me wrong, but asking for a top5 pick in a deep draft isn't going to happen IMO. Eichel got Krebs, a low 1st and a 2nd-3rd liner. I see EP getting a prospect similar to Krebs and a 1st rd pick in the mid-ish.

Fact is, not a lot of teams picking in the top5 are one EP away from contention. Therefore, having only 3-4 years of control is a serious deterrent for any of those teams to trade their pick for EP.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Based on where Montréal is right now I’d rather have a top 5 pick coming in on an entry level deal than Pettersson at $7.5m for the next 3 seasons. He’s a talented player but he has durability issues and his play has gone off a cliff this season. He looks lost and disinterested
Pettersson is a top 5 pick though and a top 5 pick doesnt guarantee a superstar. Example: Kotkaniemi

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
We he has regressed. His value is still high, don't get me wrong, but asking for a top5 pick in a deep draft isn't going to happen IMO. Eichel got Krebs, a low 1st and a 2nd-3rd liner. I see EP getting a prospect similar to Krebs and a 1st rd pick in the mid-ish.

Fact is, not a lot of teams picking in the top5 are one EP away from contention. Therefore, having only 3-4 years of control is a serious deterrent for any of those teams to trade their pick for EP.

He's certainly taken a step back this year but it's pretty clear to anyone other than a casual observer that he hasn't magically lost all of the talent that made him the player he's proven capable of.

Eichel, while definitely the better player, was about to undergo a serious neck surgery with 5 years left at 10m. The risks involved with that trade is what lowered his value so I don't see that being a fair comparison whatsoever.

I think it's crazy to assume you wouldn't have a few GMs considering trading a top 5 pick for Pettersson if the offer was on the table.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Pettersson is a top 5 pick though and a top 5 pick doesnt guarantee a superstar. Example: Kotkaniemi
Cool, doesn’t change the fact that Pettersson makes $7.5 for another 2 seasons and then will be looking for a raise. And Montreal has no cap space

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

Yeah your evaluation of Petersson is way off. Krebs and a mid 1st only? Yet in trade deadline teams trade a 1st for an over the hill Marleau. But imagine that, adding Krebs to that 1st get you Petersson lol. How much will Matthews get? A 1st, 2nd and Krebs? I think HFboard values a 1st round pick more than even top young players. Like if Zegras was available, you probably will say a top 5 pick is worth more :rolleyes:

Its like choosing the mystery box over the boat.

"I mean the mystery box could be anything...it could even be a boat"

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Cool, doesn’t change the fact that Pettersson makes $7.5 for another 2 seasons and then will be looking for a raise. And Montreal has no cap space
When you draft a good player, they usually want raises from ELC. Its really that simple. Also Petersson is a young player with potential to get better, not an old man. It also doesnt change the fact that a top 5 pick does not guarantee a player like Petersson. Examples: Kotkaniemi, Galchenyuk, Juolevi, Virtanen etc.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
When you draft a good player, they usually want raises from ELC. Its really that simple. Also Petersson is a young player with potential to get better, not an old man. It also doesnt change the fact that a top 5 pick does not guarantee a player like Petersson. Examples: Kotkaniemi, Galchenyuk, Juolevi, Virtanen etc.
You’re right. It doesn’t. But Montreal will be early in a rebuild and cap strapped. That puck has a chance of being 1st OA, comes with an entry level cost and team co trip of at. least 7 years. Given the cost to squire, the teams current position, and factoring in the other contract stuff I just don’t like the deal from Montreal’s perspective. Not to mention the fact that Pettersson has had done durability issues that are a bit concerning. Is he talented? Absolutely. Is he a fit? Not really

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Yeah your evaluation of Petersson is way off. Krebs and a mid 1st only? Yet in trade deadline teams trade a 1st for an over the hill Marleau. But imagine that, adding Krebs to that 1st get you Petersson lol. How much will Matthews get? A 1st, 2nd and Krebs? I think HFboard values a 1st round pick more than even top young players. Like if Zegras was available, you probably will say a top 5 pick is worth more :rolleyes:

Its like choosing the mystery box over the boat.

"I mean the mystery box could be anything...it could even be a boat"
Team trading a 1st at the TDL are between 20-3th place, with a 20% chance of finding an actual good talent there. Teams aren't trading mid 1st rd picks for Marleau, they're trading a very late 1st for those kind of guys.

NO team is trading a top5 pick for EP for couple reasons

1- Salary
2- Years of control
3- Fact most of these teams aren't an EP away from being cup contending. They are at the star of their rebuild and EP would just make it that much harde to tank and get a top5 pick.
4- Better players (see Eichel) were traded for a lot less than a top5 pick. Why would EP be worth more? He isn't a better player than Eichel, so let's just say his value is around Krebs + LVS 1st (taking out Tuch), do you see any team in the top 5 this year trading away their shot at Wright, Savoie etc... for Krebs and a mid/late 1st?

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Only thing that could make sense and I dont know if I'd be happy about it is the Habs 1st this year assuming it isn't 1st overall.

Basically Jiricek/Nemec for Pettersson.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Tough calendar year for EP, but in no way am I trading him anytime soon. His confidence is low, and I think this season may be a write-off for him. This is the first adversity he has faced as a pro, I'm giving him lots of time to work through it, his 2-way IQ is just too good to give up on him.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Trading him would be stupid. A month ago Barzal was filling this forum with trade proposals and now he's untouchable again.

In a year at most and possibly within this season, Pettersson will be back to being a PPG 1C while playing selke defense and the proposals of trading him will be forgotten... until the next slump.

It matters because there wouldn't be a realistic trade that makes sense for the Canucks. The Eichel trade illustrates that.

Pettersson has never been ppg or played selke defense

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
EP for Matt Tkachuk. That’s the best offer you will ever get

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Canucks fans will want elite #1C return for a guy who has never shown he is one, only potential a few years ago, and other fans will want to pay 2C level return (Kadri) maybe with a sweetener if they really believe in potential.

All I can say is, he has as many seasons not looking like a #1 C as he did looking like one. He said in the summer, while holding out, he would leave Vancouver if they weren't winning when his deal ends. They would be smart if there is a GM out there willing to pay #1C value to cash out on this guy before he potentially either never turns into a #1 C or does and leaves as a UFA in his prime.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Elias Pettersson to Vancouver for future considerations

with how bad he has been, it would be vancouvers biggest mistake to trade him,

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Probably in a straight up trade for another struggling young star.

Would be dumb to trade him now though. He wasn't as good as his previous individual & on-ice shooting percentages, and he's also not as bad as his current ones. Let his numbers normalize and see where he's at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad