TV: What TV series are you currently watching/recently watched?

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I just finished series 5. The first 3 seasons are definitely the best so far, then there is a drop. Still a very good show, but not the consistent binge watching highs of the first 3 seasons. About to start season 6.
I'm into season 5 now and I think Anthony Anderson might've been the best one season "villian" I've watched in a show for quite some time. I've only seen him during his stint on Law and Order, but he had a presence in every scene he was in.

Forest Whitaker is also a damn good actor, he's great in season 5 so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doothpick

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I wanted to get into Suits, watched the first 3 or 4 episodes and it just didn't grip me. From the clips I've seen of it it looks good, but I just didn't get reeled in.
I like Suits, and have started a rewatch. On second watch, it's absolutely mind blowing how many scenes end with a snarky remark and the buttoning of a suit.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I like Suits, and have started a rewatch. On second watch, it's absolutely mind blowing how many scenes end with a snarky remark and the buttoning of a suit.
I've seen enough clips to know I would love Louis, he seems like one of the sassiest characters in TV history... but for some reason the show just never "got" me in. Despite looking forward to watching it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Doing a Justified rewatch. I always sing the praises of the second and third seasons, but I had forgotten how good the fourth season is.

I've watched that all the way through probably seven times. Even the weaker seasons are better than most shows and they wrapped it up before it dipped too much.

It's a shame that the sequel wasn't better though.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm into season 5 now and I think Anthony Anderson might've been the best one season "villian" I've watched in a show for quite some time. I've only seen him during his stint on Law and Order, but he had a presence in every scene he was in.

Forest Whitaker is also a damn good actor, he's great in season 5 so far.
I would give a similar label to Whitaker for best anti-villain.

The Shield was so good. I loved it all the way to the end.

Reactions: Jovavic

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Not to mention, Harvey's "legal expertise" usually extends to going up to people in their private lives and threatening them.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Speaking of Forest Whitaker, I watched the first two seasons of Godfather of Harlem which I'd say is better than other Starz network shows like Power or Black Mafia Family but still pretty meh. I'm a sucker for anything mafia related though especially when it involves real life figures. The history in this show isn't very accurate but it's entertaining enough.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Le Bureau des Légendes (The Bureau) - French spy thriller drama. Outstanding, one of the best shows I've watched.

Sigeuneol (Signal) - Korean time-travel mystery drama thriller. A cold-case profiler in 2015 and a detective in 1989 work together to solve a series of related murders spanning three decades using a special walkie-talkie to communicate with each other. Beautifully done, powerful story.

Dark - Hugely popular German sci-fi thriller series on Netflix that most people have probably heard of. I really enjoyed it and it kept me thinking long after each episode ended.

Fauda - Hebrew / Arabic action thriller show on the conflict between Israel and Palestine. One of my favourite shows ever. The storylines and acting are top notch.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Le Bureau des Légendes (The Bureau) - French spy thriller drama. Outstanding, one of the best shows I've watched.

Sigeuneol (Signal) - Korean time-travel mystery drama thriller. A cold-case profiler in 2015 and a detective in 1989 work together to solve a series of related murders spanning three decades using a special walkie-talkie to communicate with each other. Beautifully done, powerful story.

Dark - Hugely popular German sci-fi thriller series on Netflix that most people have probably heard of. I really enjoyed it and it kept me thinking long after each episode ended.

Fauda - Hebrew / Arabic action thriller show on the conflict between Israel and Palestine. One of my favourite shows ever. The storylines and acting are top notch.
Man, you're all over the map here!

• Haha
Reactions: flyersnorth

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Man, you're all over the map here!

Haha definitely! I've always been a fan of learning other languages and cultures so I'm naturally drawn to shows that have these elements.

But also, those are all amazing shows worth watching.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Watching Presumed Innocent on Apple+. Currently on episode 4 and so far it is very good. Not in love with the look of it, but the pacing and suspense of it all is great.

This has turned out to be a really good series. I'm surprised that more people aren't talking about it, although I know there is a ton of stuff out there. I like they they have been rolling it out weekly and not binging it. The finale is coming next week.

I also on a whim just checked out the first episode of Sunny on Apple+. Rashida Jones stars as a woman looking for her husband with a robot as her only clue. Set in Japan and ultra stylish. I was surprised at how good it was and I figure I will watch it all.

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
This has been on my radar for awhile, but I've never got around to watching. They recently announced an American remake is in production staring Jeffrey Wright and Michael Fassbender. While that sounds good, I do want to watch the original before the new version airs.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
This has been on my radar for awhile, but I've never got around to watching. They recently announced an American remake is in production staring Jeffrey Wright and Michael Fassbender. While that sounds good, I do want to watch the original before the new version airs.

Oh nice, I didn't know there was a remake in the works. It seems like it will be Britain-based from what I just read. Not sure if it's an American show with an agent based in London, or a British show.

Either way, I definitely recommend the original. One part I like is the ordinary-ness of the agents themselves. Makes them very relatable.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Watched the first episode of "Those About to Die" its meh. The bad cgi and so much green screen work instead of real sets really drags the series down. Anthony Hopkins looks good for 86 years old though. I'll probably still watch the rest though because anything with gladiators and these ancient Roman days is still entertaining to me

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Don't forget dramatically leaving the room!

I'm still watching. Part of the way through S4. I tuned out... most of S2 and S3. It starts off on an interesting premise - guy who never actually went to law school becomes a lawyer. When you need to bring in other characters and storylines... they need to interesting. They aren't. Mike and Rachel might be one of the worst couples I've seen in a TV show. A pair of children with absolutely no chemistry at all. She's lucky she found a rich husband because she can't act.

I gave up watching this originally during S5 when ~a thing~ happened because it just felt stupid and not worth watching any more. Time hasn't really improved things.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Rewatching the first 3 seasons of Walking Dead with the misses. Nearing the season 2 finale at this point. The first two seasons are mostly great. The dynamic with Shane and Rick in particularly, I could write a 20 page essay on it. I remember S3 being the beginning of the end though. The show lost its flow and took me out of the immersion.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Rewatching the first 3 seasons of Walking Dead with the misses. Nearing the season 2 finale at this point. The first two seasons are mostly great. The dynamic with Shane and Rick in particularly, I could write a 20 page essay on it. I remember S3 being the beginning of the end though. The show lost its flow and took me out of the immersion.

I recall season 2 getting crapped on a lot at the time, but I always thought it was really solid.

IslesNbeer

Sponsor
Nov 25, 2016
Alberta
Just finished watching House. Really enjoyed it, but it sure got dark at the end.

Started rewatching The Stand series (going to watch both)

After that, I'll be searching this thread for ideas.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

IslesNbeer

Sponsor
Nov 25, 2016
Alberta

When it was originally airing I lost interest after season 9.
I rewatched it not long ago and couldn't get past season 9....

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I recall season 2 getting crapped on a lot at the time, but I always thought it was really solid.
I appreciate the character study on humanity in a crumbling world. The fundamental disagreement between Rick and Shane, as well as Dale’s protest about executing that kid/prisoner. Poor Rick is always caught in the middle.

It’s a cruel world out there and you’ve got to keep your family/group safe. Dale didn’t want to accept reality and was fighting for the idealistic world that was crumbling around him.

Just finished watching House. Really enjoyed it, but it sure got dark at the end.

I loved House when it was airing. I think I stopped watching after his addiction. I like how it handled creating a brand new team for House to work with. Thought that was done very well.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

Love House! Excellent show, i see a lot of shorts/reels online of the show and really wanna get into binging it sometime soon.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Watched the first episode of "Those About to Die" its meh. The bad cgi and so much green screen work instead of real sets really drags the series down. Anthony Hopkins looks good for 86 years old though. I'll probably still watch the rest though because anything with gladiators and these ancient Roman days is still entertaining to me

I finished this series, it definitely gets better. Is it the level of Rome or game of thrones? No but I was never bored watching it and I kept wanting to watch each episode to see what would happen next. Iwan Rehon has a great character and plays his role really well. Would definitely watch a season 2 if they decide to make it.

Last edited:

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
@Rodgerwilco @x Tame Impala

Speaking of House, have either of you ever watched The Knick? It only ran two seasons back in 2014-2015, and stars Clive Owen.

I loved how gritty and raw it was, and something about the state of medicine a century ago is horrifyingly fascinating.

• Love
Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Speaking of House, have either of you ever watched The Knick? It only ran two seasons back in 2014-2015, and stars Clive Owen.

I loved how gritty and raw it was, and something about the state of medicine a century ago is horrifyingly fascinating.

No but it sounds very cool. I live near the Chicago Museum of Surgical Science and old-school medicine and surgical techniques fascinate me too. Been to that museum a few times and it's super cool. Check it out next time you're in Chicago

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

Never heard of it, but I'll check it out!

Reactions: flyersnorth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad