OT: The Music Thread: Part IX - RIP Classic Rock 92.9 WBOS-FM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Wanted a snack the other day and spied Cheetos at the gas station. Inspected the bag to ensure they were the Crunchy not Puffy and proceeded with purchase. Did not realize they were " Flamin' Hot" and after the first bite with my head on fire thought immediately of these guys

From Wicky Petee Ah
Released the same year as the Rolling Stones' album Sticky Fingers, Mick Jagger reportedly noticed the similarities between the albums and thought the Flamin' Groovies did the better take on the theme of classic blues and rock 'n roll revisited in a modern context.[2]

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Can someone explain Oasis to me? I think they are fine but not particularly stand out in any way. I have friends wanting to plan Europe trips to see them. If you solve that, then explain Queen. I at least appreciate the innovation and talent of Queen musically compared to Oasis, but can only listen in small doses. Younger generations seem to to like them the most out of all the great bands of the clasic rock era.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Can someone explain Oasis to me? I think they are fine but not particularly stand out in any way. I have friends wanting to plan Europe trips to see them. If you solve that, then explain Queen. I at least appreciate the innovation and talent of Queen musically compared to Oasis, but can only listen in small doses. Younger generations seem to to like them the most out of all the great bands of the clasic rock era.
Kids these days

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Can someone explain Oasis to me? I think they are fine but not particularly stand out in any way. I have friends wanting to plan Europe trips to see them. If you solve that, then explain Queen. I at least appreciate the innovation and talent of Queen musically compared tOasis, but can only listen in small doses. Younger generations seem to to like them the most out of all the great bands of the clasic rock era.

As A. Guinea had it, I can't explain.

Perhaps their biggest hit was the ballad "Wonderwall," named in homage of the George Harrison solo album. Even so, nothing to write home about.

"Champagne Supernova" evokes the mid-90s. Brit Pop was major, so was rival group Blur, and the ever feuding, soccer goon Gallagher brothers spoke, in mumbling fashion, to a tediously benumbed generation.

While a fine songwriter, no one has ever accused Noel Gallagher of setting forth immortal lyrics. In fact, most of them are trash.

The exception for me is their one stone cold classic, "Don't Look Back in Anger" (1995),

"Want to Know More?"

See our brochure,

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

For me, Oasis is simply nostalgia in audio form. It’s loud, anthemic music that sounds deeper than it actually is. Also a band that just has its own unique sound, whether that’s really a good sound or not.

Personally, I find the songs that everyone knows to be their weakest. I could never hear Wonderwall, Champagne Supernova, etc again and be a very happy man. On the other hand, I’ll throw on some of the deeper cuts off the first few albums like Cast No Shadow, Live Forever, and Roll with It and really enjoy.

That reunion tour is pretty cool. It was never as unlikely as say a full blown Pink Floyd reunion but Noel Gallagher did a pretty nice job convincing everyone that Oasis would never see the light of day ever again. I’d still be mildly surprised if they actually make it a year with those plans intact.

Also, not sure I can explain Queen. One of those bands I’m not even a big fan of but I recognize as genius.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad