Contract Termination: [PHI] F Ryan Johansen placed on waivers by the Flyers for the purpose of contract termination (Johansen grieving)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I'd think the opposite. Ultimately it is (or should be) up to a player's discretion if they play. Obviously I'm not referring to concussions and that kinda thing. But these wear and tear type injuries, especially where he's had multiple hip surgeries, it makes sense. It absolutely should be preference. Some rewards are worth the risk/effort, others are not.

A team attempting to force a player into playing opens up a much bigger can of worms than the reverse.
Yeah, this is all wrong for very obvious reasons. This renders contracts obsolete and you then create a Ben Simmons league

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I just knew the whole material breach thing was going to become a tool, now any overpaid vet needs to walk on egg shells and hope they don't do or say the wrong thing.
The way I see it is if you wouldn't terminate your young star for the same offense than you shouldn't be able to terminate cap dumps.
Just depends if you are good or a liability...How did Nickushkin not materially breach his contract with women passed out on his hotel floor, in the middle of the playoffs? Flyers let the Avs off the hook by taking Johansen, and getting rid of a player that would have probably got them into the playoffs down the stretch.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Just depends if you are good or a liability...How did Nickushkin not materially breach his contract with women passed out on his hotel floor, in the middle of the playoffs? Flyers let the Avs off the hook by taking Johansen, and getting rid of a player that would have probably got them into the playoffs down the stretch.
Took a 1st to take him though.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
AP English did not.
i-dont-believe-you-lies.gif

• Haha
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
One is a felony theft of 8 million dollars, the other is a summary citation

One could end up being 5 years in prison
The other is a ticket

If we're talking law, it's farrrrrr worse.

If we're talking morally, it's not close to as bad

Either way, what his DH son did has nothing to do with him

This makes no sense... it's very obvious he was faking it but you still need proof, which he gave them at his wedding
Where are you getting this "felony theft of 8 million dollars" idea?

Reactions: Drumman44

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Yeah, this is all wrong for very obvious reasons. This renders contracts obsolete and you then create a Ben Simmons league
Nah, if anything this could go in the wrong direction and ruin LTIRetirements, which hurts both teams and players. Now instead of hitting LTIRetirement players will feel the need to push past their expiration date to get the paycheque, and teams will be stuck with washed up overpaid players in the lineup. A real lose-lose scenario

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
why not just ride out his contract and be free of him next season?
Phi could leave him on LTIR. I mean they also have Ellis and his $6 mill plus on LTIR, so they'd be $10 mill on LTIR, thus unlikely to get under the $88 mill to try to absorb all elc bonuses in 24/25.

Only real reason I can see to try to get rid of him that desperately before the season is to get under the cap for bonuses. He has no nmc, thus if he is healthy they can demote him to the A and force to either ride the buses for his salary or hope he balks and then they can move to terminate his contract because he refused assignment.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Just depends if you are good or a liability...How did Nickushkin not materially breach his contract with women passed out on his hotel floor, in the middle of the playoffs?
I don't think you know what the term "material breach" means.

His lady friend apparently had some type of crisis in his hotel room. Which part of his contract do you think that breached?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The same hips he's had problems with most of his career?

I'd love to be the lawyer on RyJo/NHLPA's side for this one. Easiest win ever if that's the Flyers reasoning
Is this what prevented him from living up to the hype?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I mean this site is surely something isn’t it? Teams should just eat millions of dollars “to be nice” when they think players are misleading them.
And players should risk their future quality of life because teams really need them in the line-up? (Example using is Lindros or Eichel and not RJ - but the underlying theory is the same.)

The CBA requires each player undergo a physical at the end of the year. IMO - you have to be able to rely on that process, and just because a player was on the ice for their last game of the year does not mean that they are necessarily "healthy". I think that if organizations start to challenge these types of situations - the natural reaction is that the players (especially ones with long term contracts) will be less likely to try and "play-through injury.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Year end physicals are standard. Teams, players, nhl depend on those to determine eligibility for buyouts.

With the way the teams hand out contracts to players that go to age 37-39 most of the time these teams are banking on the player landing on ltir.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Nah, if anything this could go in the wrong direction and ruin LTIRetirements, which hurts both teams and players. Now instead of hitting LTIRetirement players will feel the need to push past their expiration date to get the paycheque, and teams will be stuck with washed up overpaid players in the lineup. A real lose-lose scenario
If only that were true. Contracts should be signed with the intent on the agreement being fulfilled on both sides. It’s ridiculous how management teams sign players for way too much and way too long with the hopes of finding a way to wiggle out at the end. Maybe sign shorter term deals with older players if you’re concerned on their ability to be worth the money long term, novel idea I know.

Reactions: Yemeth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad