Ridiculous things you used to think about hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
I thought Gretzky was overrated because I watched him with my dad as a kid in his final season. I would have been 6/7 years old. I expected him to dominate and when he didn't I thought he was totally overblown and on top of that I thought that the game evolved or something and that's why he lost a step and retired. I had no concept of age or how long someone played etc. I basically thought he retired because he wasn't the best anymore irrelevant of his age.

I thought guys like Sakic and Yzerman were better than Gretzky and he was just beloved because he was the old generations' idol as kids. Took me a few years before I started paying attention to the stat leaders etc to grasp what was an impressive number of points. I remember getting into the phase of looking up all the old player's stats and when I searched Gretzky it was like there was a misprint or something I almost couldn't believe it. That's when I got the idea how great he really was because I never watched him until his final year. This was pre youtube etc.

Reactions: EpiPen

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That all the blue teams were the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Insert playoff joke.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The most ridiculous thing I've ever thought about hockey is "I want my kids to play ice hockey when I'm older" followed closely by "I could probably be a professional hockey player when I grow up,"
I thought for the longest time if only I could learn to skate and play ice hockey that I could eventually play in the NHL for my canucks but around the age of 44 I grew up and gave up, although I did dream about it the other night again.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I thought for the longest time if only I could learn to skate and play ice hockey that I could eventually play in the NHL for my canucks but around the age of 44 I grew up and gave up, although I did dream about it the other night again.

Embarrassing, but- that’s my goodnight thought. Scoring sick goals in my career ‘till I fall asleep. I never make it past my rookie season, always deliver A+ pressers, and make Zegras look like Phaneuf. *sips code red*

Reactions: wetcoast

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
That all the blue teams were the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Insert playoff joke.
Oh oh oh I got one! So the 2019 Blues are the closest the Leafs will get to the Cup lOlZzzzz!!!!!!!!11111

Attachments

• yes-fist-pump.gif
    yes-fist-pump.gif
    160.8 KB · Views: 9

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024

I thought Gretzky was overrated because I watched him with my dad as a kid in his final season. I would have been 6/7 years old. I expected him to dominate and when he didn't I thought he was totally overblown and on top of that I thought that the game evolved or something and that's why he lost a step and retired. I had no concept of age or how long someone played etc. I basically thought he retired because he wasn't the best anymore irrelevant of his age.

I thought guys like Sakic and Yzerman were better than Gretzky and he was just beloved because he was the old generations' idol as kids. Took me a few years before I started paying attention to the stat leaders etc to grasp what was an impressive number of points. I remember getting into the phase of looking up all the old player's stats and when I searched Gretzky it was like there was a misprint or something I almost couldn't believe it. That's when I got the idea how great he really was because I never watched him until his final year. This was pre youtube etc.
I have tried to explain the concept of aging to my son a bunch of times. It seems crazy to a kid that 40 is over the hill when their dad is older than that lol. But he definitely thinks that a 35 year old should put up 28 year old numbers.

Man Machine

Jan 6, 2018
I remember believing that the referees were the best skaters on the ice.
When my ex-wife was a child, she thougt that the refs made up their own team. They would score by raising their arm before the puck hit the net.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Growing up for me, there was no TV service on rez. The few people who had TVs got CBC and nothing else. I was familiar only with player names from the radio and from hearing others talk about players.

If you'd have asked me the top hockey player of all time, my answer would have been... Owen Nolan.

No idea why, someone I know must've been the fan or Quebec games might've been on french CBC lots but for some reason, I always thought he was the best player or the biggest star.

Reactions: sanscosm

Prsut18

Jul 30, 2018
CZ
When I was a very little kid I thought winning for example 4:1 gives you more points to the standings than 2:1 (depends how many you score)

I also didn´t get the concept of getting beter/worse due to age.. I though the players are as good as they were the season I started to watch and when they improved or regressed the next season I was confused..

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
When I first got into hockey I had the distinct impression that, at least compared to other sports, hockey officiating was more cut and dry, and that all infractions were easier to call and far more consistently officiated than any other major sport.

Yep...

You were wrong, like shockingly wrong

I don't even know you and I know there is a FAR Greater than 0% chance that is the most wrong you have ever been or ever will be about anything ever.

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
When I was little I thought when teams pulled the goalie it just gave them an extra drive to play harder and not get scored on. It wasn't until I played Stanley Cup on snes that I realized you got an extra skater on the ice.

Also, I thought all the songs from Kids Incorporated were originals that the kids came up with and when I heard the real versions on the radio I'd get mad that adults were stealing them.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Growing up for me, there was no TV service on rez. The few people who had TVs got CBC and nothing else. I was familiar only with player names from the radio and from hearing others talk about players.

If you'd have asked me the top hockey player of all time, my answer would have been... Owen Nolan.

No idea why, someone I know must've been the fan or Quebec games might've been on french CBC lots but for some reason, I always thought he was the best player or the biggest star.
Took me a long time to realise Sundin wasn't a top 5 player in the league. So I get it.

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014

The dude pointed at the goal and scored on the breakaway at the All-Stars. Of course he was the best!

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

I think he was Ovechkin's favorite player, which seems kind of... bizarre.

Like... why him of all people with guys like Fedorov and Bure in the NHL?

I guess he kind of played like prime Nolan in his younger years. He was a lot better obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad