Ridiculous things you used to think about hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Maybe because of Mario Lemieux, younger me thought a natural hat trick was scoring even strength, on the PP, and a shorty.

I suppose over time, the role of a General Manager has changed for me. I used to think a GM singlehandedly was the driving force behind trades, scouting prospects, negotiating contracts, etc. But now I understand that a GM is almost like a conductor of a symphony rather than trying to play every instrument. Or almost like managing a restaurant where the GM might have experience as a chef / server but isn't necessarily doing those roles on a day to day basis.

Just from other accounts from former GMs, they have to be involved in the business/marketing side of the club too. I know Dean Lombardi has said how much he disliked being in those meetings.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I used to look up to hockey players when I was kid/teenager. Then I met team Canada/usa in a bar at the WJC in Ottawa ( I was roughly the same age as them) and I was so put off by their attitudes/behaviour and players hitting on my then GF while we talked. It really made me realize that they are regular people and not really worthy of my respect based on how well they play a game. So I detached from liking players personally and became much more attached to my team.

Of course this is in general and doesn't apply to every hockey out there. I was went to school with a player who played for the Brampton Battalion but he was rarely in class.

Reactions: MilkofthePoppy

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
I used to think offsides was a dumb rule as a kid, and it took me forever to understand it back then. When I was playing floor hockey in middle school, I remember our team having a goal disallowed because I was offside, and I hadn't a damn clue why my teammates were mad at me for it lol.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I used to think, to myself, "you know, if I grew up somewhere with more competitive hockey, and my parents could have afforded to put me in the competitive leagues and take me to every hockey camp in the province, I could have made the NHL". Nevermind the fact that I was decidedly average on the hockey teams that I was on, I wasn't going to make it because there was no opportunity for me. Not being able to complete a good deke, or being a piss poor backwards skater, or never developing a slap shot that would make even pee wee goalies worry. It was all the lack of opportunity from being raised in rural Alberta. It took me too long to accept the fact that I just wasn't ever going to be skilled enough, or driven enough to play professionally.

I also used to think the All Star game was good, that making the All Star game was more important than it is, and that NHL Awards are always given to the most deserving player.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I used to think, to myself, "you know, if I grew up somewhere with more competitive hockey, and my parents could have afforded to put me in the competitive leagues and take me to every hockey camp in the province, I could have made the NHL". Nevermind the fact that I was decidedly average on the hockey teams that I was on, I wasn't going to make it because there was no opportunity for me. Not being able to complete a good deke, or being a piss poor backwards skater, or never developing a slap shot that would make even pee wee goalies worry. It was all the lack of opportunity from being raised in rural Alberta. It took me too long to accept the fact that I just wasn't ever going to be skilled enough, or driven enough to play professionally.

I also used to think the All Star game was good, that making the All Star game was more important than it is, and that NHL Awards are always given to the most deserving player.
I felt like this too, my parents couldn't afford to let me play hockey but as a kid I always thought.
If only they'd found a way for me to play, I could have made it the NHL,

Never mind the fact that I can't skate nor have I ever been particularly driven to stay in shape..... Unless you count round as a shape.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
As crazy as some of these comments are, the thing that strikes me as truly crazy was the fact that one of the earliest instances of pro goalies wearing masks in-game (which I heard about at the time) was Jacques Plante in 1959, AFTER he had already been struck in the face and gotten injured by it. So that he could go back in to play. Any goalies in the thread, how safe would you feel facing vulcanized rubber at high speeds with an unprotected face/ head??

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
When did you think that?

They pretty much were like that for a good five years from '84 to '88.

lmao...

So you thought NHL players were like wrestlers or stage actors?

Lmao something like that. I was maybe 4 or 5 something. Just thought they got to pick their names at some point lmao

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I used to think Mario's last name was pronounced "Loomy-x"

tbf, 99% of ppl outside of quebec mispronounce his last name

Lol if you're not French-speaking I won't hold that against you.
There was also a former Canuck rental, Derek Roy, who I pronounced his last name as "Wah" cuz I thought he was French.

i know it’s wrong but in my head i always hear juulsen’s name with a y

but here’s the truly ridiculous thing i used to think about hockey: the scene is canada in the late 80s/early 90s. everything in canada was a weird off-brand version of the US, for example instead of mtv we had much music, instead of exxon we have esso. so i used to think don cherry and ron maclean was the canadian knockoff of jerry the king lawler and vince mcmahon when those two were the ringside commentators on WWF.

1724991116695.png

1724991251814.png

Last edited:

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I used to look up to hockey players when I was kid/teenager. Then I met team Canada/usa in a bar at the WJC in Ottawa ( I was roughly the same age as them) and I was so put off by their attitudes/behaviour and players hitting on my then GF while we talked. It really made me realize that they are regular people and not really worthy of my respect based on how well they play a game. So I detached from liking players personally and became much more attached to my team.

Of course this is in general and doesn't apply to every hockey out there. I was went to school with a player who played for the Brampton Battalion but he was rarely in class.

Damn, that is brutal dude. Never meet your heroes, as they say.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
I also used to think the All Star game was one of the highlights of the season as a kid back in the late 90s/early 00s. Now, I couldn't care less about it, mainly because of how goofy they have made the format over the last decade or so.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I also used to think the All Star game was one of the highlights of the season as a kid back in the late 90s/early 00s. Now, I couldn't care less about it, mainly because of how goofy they have made the format over the last decade or so.

Yeah, it was fun ages ago. I remember the one where Nolan scored two goals in about 10 seconds and then scored the legendary "point and shoot" goal. There was a really high scoring All-Star Game during the Dead Puck Era (I think 2000), which was refreshing to watch.

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in the All-Star Game now and that's been the case for years.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not really a crazy thing but when I was a kid I used to think the Oilers away jersey was purple and orange, rather than blue and orange. At least it looked purple on a old school tube TV.

edmonton-oilers-wayne-gretzky.jpg

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Here's a throwback, remember Dustin Byfuglien? I was so tempted to pronounce it as it's spelled (By-Fug-Li-en) and then there was this parody about how Blackhawks execs wanted to pronounce his name (By-foo-loo-GEE-Lee-in). I wish it was either of those and not just Buff-Lin.

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
I wasn't a kid anymore when I got into hockey which so the ones i can come up with are all the more embarrassing.

1) piecing together the rules from playing NHL 2005 as a 13 year old was rough. Don't remember what I thought about any rules per se but I was sure the C on the jersey stood for Center and couldn't come up with what the A was for

2) I totally bought in to the whole toughness, fighting, intimidation thing being a if not the major factor for the success of the Bruins around the cup year as an almost adult. Apologies to anyone who might have read or listened to my takes back then. I actually 100% believed that Shawn Thornton fighting or whoever throwing a dirty hit would keep opponents from injuring Bruins players despite all evidence to the contrary.

• Haha
Reactions: 1989

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
10 year old me didn’t understand why Jaromir Jagr was leaving the Penguins… i finally knew how my friends with divorced parents felt.

I thought every team had to have a guy who would fight and that was their primary job.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I used to think a goal used to be worth 2 points and an assist was one point and that’s why Gretzky had such a huge lead on everyone else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad