Ridiculous things you used to think about hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I never realized that those piano tunes that play in arenas between whistles were actually played by a pianist way up in the rafters. I thought it was a recording lol

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
I thought a hat trick involved using a literal hat on the ice to trick the other team into thinking that player had the puck

Had some hockey cards where the reverse side with the stats had the notation “League leader in italics.” I understood that to mean they were the best out of all the Italian players in the league

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
When I first started watching, I thought goalers could not leave the crease, and players could not enter it. I seriously thought this was absolute, and it would break the rules if one or the other happened.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
At my first ever hockey game as a kid, the crowd was chanting "Salo" trying to get in the goalie's head. At the time, I had a dog named "Shadow." It sounded the same to my kid ears. I was wondering for 75% of the game why the crowd was chanting my dog's name.

My dad heard “Hunter Pence” as “underpants” at a Giants game. I had fun laughing at him, then heard it myself. Turns out that’s a thing, minor nickname for him because of ears like ours.

My biggest one was “freezing the puck”. Idk, the way it happened in NHL ‘99 it looked like the goalie covered the puck, then couldn’t move it, like it actually froze in 1-2 seconds. I’m smart.

Oh, and I used to think the people yelling “shoot” had a point. There are still power plays that should arguably shoot more, but if the point man isn’t willing to take the slap shot the lane isn’t there. They can tell from their perspective better than I can.

Reactions: CanadienShark

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I remember asking a teammate how he could shoot the puck all the way down the ice. It was the most powerful dump out of our zone that I'd seen to that point. No idea if it was a penalty kill because do they even call penalties when you're 5 or 6 years old? Might have been age 7 because I'm pretty dense. Whenever you start playing 5 a side vs another teams.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Let's see.

I used to completely misunderstand goaltending where I thought flashy saves and making some fancy windmills was the epitome of good goaltending, and didn't really appreciate fundamentals. My favorite was Dominik Hasek, though, and he sort of fueled this idea of mine.

But other than that, I don't think there was anything that crazy considering my age.

Reactions: Just Linda

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I used to think that Nikolai Khabibulin's name was Javier "Javy" Bulin. This lasted until I saw his name written for the first time after playing NHL 99.

In the late 90s I was watching a game and a friend of mine kept talking about this player "Onov." I'm look, Onov? Who is Onov?

You know, the Red Wings player Larry Onov.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
When I was a toddler, I thought the red light was connected to the back of the net and the puck would set off a censor that would turn on the light to signal goal. Eventually I learned that there was someone sitting behind the goal and pushing a button. Same with the scoreboard, I thought it would censor a goal and mechanically add a point.

Also, I used to think that the TV graphics that display things like a players name or stats was a sign that was physically placed in front of the camera.

I thought that my then local Junior A team was in the NHL because it shared a similar logo with an actual NHL team, so I thought that the team on my NHL logos poster was the same team from my small 30,000 populated town.
Are you in Dawson Creek or Fort St John? In DC we have the Canucks, and in FSJ they have the Flyers. Many young kids believe as you did.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I use to think that when cameras do close ups of players faces or coaches etc, there was literally a camera man who would jump on the ice and quickly go over the ice to go get that shot.

I wasn't a very smart kid.
Imagine these guys skating around a NHL game

IMG_2338.jpeg

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
in the 90s that the caps actually had a shot at winning when it was Peter bondra and 11 forwards named Andrei nikolishin

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
My first game was Kings-Habs at Staples when I was like 6. It was such an unphysical game that when I saw a Hab give a whatever shove to a Kings player I thought it was scandalous and the peak of violence in the sport.

Reactions: End on a Hinote

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I used to think the Toronto Maple Leafs and Winnipeg Jets were going to be the next great teams because I thought prospect pool rankings mattered at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad