Ridiculous things you used to think about hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
When I was little I thought when teams pulled the goalie it just gave them an extra drive to play harder and not get scored on. It wasn't until I played Stanley Cup on snes that I realized you got an extra skater on the ice.

Also, I thought all the songs from Kids Incorporated were originals that the kids came up with and when I heard the real versions on the radio I'd get mad that adults were stealing them.

I tried thinking of strange things I thought about hockey as a kid and couldn't really think of anything... but this post make me remember I had absolutely no clue why teams pulled their goalie. I also figured it might be some strange, irrational bravado thing.

Reactions: heynowbababooey

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I used to think that anything is possible. No.... no it is not despite what Mr garnett may want you to believe.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
It was a fairly recent discovery for me that the Ron Wilson that coached the Maple Leafs, Sharks, etc. wasn't the same Ron Wilson that played for the St. Louis Blues in the early 90s.

Else Ermine

Jun 1, 2024
I used to think my team, the Vancouver Canucks, had a group of about 5-6 prospects right on the brink of stepping in and being good NHL players.

I'm unconvinced this has ever been the case.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

topseed

Jun 17, 2024
Nobody ever thought they'd step right into NHL as they aged? Think this is the most obvious illusion ever.
"Yeah I mean I scored 2 goals today, probably gonna take over from Bergeron in a couple of years and center the Bruins, better be ready"

• Haha
Reactions: DitchMarner

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
Nobody ever thought they'd step right into NHL as they aged? Think this is the most obvious illusion ever.
"Yeah I mean I scored 2 goals today, probably gonna take over from Bergeron in a couple of years and center the Bruins, better be ready"

dont know man. my childhood teammate became 500+ points forward

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
When I first started watching around age 10, I thought icing was when a player stopped fast and sprayed another player or the goalie with ice.

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
“Thunder” Bay Lightning and was confused why they played all the way in Florida

Why did Bob Cole keep calling the goalie a “Puck Fan”? (Potvin)

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I used to think the Edmonton Oilers were simply the best hockey team, challenging for the Cup every year with most of the best players in the league.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
As a kid I thought a short handed goal meant the player scored while holding the stick with only one hand, thus being "short handed".

I thought that "freezing the puck" was literal, and that they whistled the play dead because the puck was collecting ice on it.

I thought that the other teams that played against "my team" knew they were the bad guys, and that everyone cheered for "my team".

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
When I was really young I thought players had fake NHL names.

My favourite player was Mario Lemieux...I just figured he picked Mario because of super Mario and then le Mieux because he was the best or something.

And I'd hear European names that almost sound made up like Radek Bonk.

But I always thought they flowed well and sounded cool (because of the announcers) so they must be chosen.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I used to think the Edmonton Oilers were simply the best hockey team, challenging for the Cup every year with most of the best players in the league.

When did you think that?

They pretty much were like that for a good five years from '84 to '88.

When I was really young I thought players had fake NHL names.

My favourite player was Mario Lemieux...I just figured he picked Mario because of super Mario and then le Mieux because he was the best or something.

And I'd hear European names that almost sound made up like Radek Bonk.

But I always thought they flowed well and sounded cool (because of the announcers) so they must be chosen.

lmao...

So you thought NHL players were like wrestlers or stage actors?

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
When I was very young, I thought a "hat trick" was a type of goal, rather than scoring three goals in a game. :laugh:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Paul Ysebaert and Steve Yzerman? Brothers.

IMG_3542.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad