What to do with Morgan Rielly - TSN: Cut from squad.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Probably because Minnesota's management group, scouts, and most people around hockey know he is a good player and not nearly as bad as he is made to sound on our forum.
He's had a rough year in junior though. Quite surprising IMO.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Would have liked to see Rielly suit up for a few games, but the Leafs have a lot of D in the pipeline whom have earned a shot so I'm not going to be sour about it.

I think he'll do great with a full camp next year and will probably make the team.

Rielly was so hyped until the WJC, and then over there he looked very ordinary.

He's 18, just a junior player. Let's not go through the accelerated development routine with someone when they just aren't ready. Not a lot of Skinners out there.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga

He's 18, just a junior player. Let's not go through the accelerated development routine with someone when they just aren't ready. Not a lot of Skinners out there.

That's the thing, there's really no way to determine if they are ready or not without a full camp, that's why a lot of kids are getting their 5 game tryout I think.

Like I said, this came down to us having too many guys vying for a spot this year. The Leafs have a lot of depth due to a very strong Marlies squad. That's why Rielly didn't get his tryout.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That's the thing, there's really no way to determine if they are ready or not without a full camp, that's why a lot of kids are getting their 5 game tryout I think.

Like I said, this came down to us having too many guys vying for a spot this year. The Leafs have a lot of depth due to a very strong Marlies squad. That's why Rielly didn't get his tryout.

That's what I've been explaining to quite a few posters who were taking pot-shots at the Oilers. Marlies iced a veteran AHL defense, and the Barons went with kids.

Fraser, Kostka, Holzer, Ranger, Gysber aren't really prospects, but that doesn't mean some of them can't fit into a weak NHL defense.

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011

i disagree and i'm a Canucks fan and hate the leafs! I thought Reilly looked great over in Russia. I never in my life seen a player toe drag at top speed the Way Morgan does... He reminds me of Duncan Keith with better hands!

Frankly im shocked they never gave him 5 games

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Probably because Minnesota's management group, scouts, and most people around hockey know he is a good player and not nearly as bad as he is made to sound on our forum.
Dumba is no where near ready. He is tough enough but his decision making is horrible. Lets hope for his sake that it is for 5 games or less.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
maybe would of looked better if that stupid coach gave him more than 2 minutes of ice time

on the limited time he was on, for the most added a lot to the offense

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
That's what I've been explaining to quite a few posters who were taking pot-shots at the Oilers. Marlies iced a veteran AHL defense, and the Barons went with kids.

Fraser, Kostka, Holzer, Ranger, Gysber aren't really prospects, but that doesn't mean some of them can't fit into a weak NHL defense.

I'm not interested in labels, just on-ice performance. Our D is better than the Barons, and it's not even close, sure they had Schultz, but Kostka is the #2 offensive D man in the AHL.

Kostka isn't getting a shot because we have a weak D. He's getting a shot because he's dominating the AHL. That's what happens when you dominate the AHL.

Fraser and Holzer also have dominated that leauge and deserve an opportunity. Ranger if he decides to play in the NHL again will be here as well.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Cody Hodgson
Steve Ott
Jochen Hecht
Luke Adam
Matt Ellis

They don't have the best collection of centres in Buffalo, the opportunity to make that team was there.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Cody Hodgson
Steve Ott
Jochen Hecht
Luke Adam
Matt Ellis

They don't have the best collection of centres in Buffalo, the opportunity to make that team was there.

Grigorenko bumped Ott over to Left Wing.

He is centering the 2nd line in his rookie season.

Not too shabby.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Grigorenko bumped Ott over to Left Wing.

He is centering the 2nd line in his rookie season.

Not too shabby.

As much as I love what Rielly will bring for us, I can't help but feel annoyed that we passed on him. Big, 2 way playmaker. Just what we need. We'll see if he is a legit 1C over the next few years. I have no doubt Rielly will be a top pairing D man.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
As much as I love what Rielly will bring for us, I can't help but feel annoyed that we passed on him. Big, 2 way playmaker. Just what we need. We'll see if he is a legit 1C over the next few years. I have no doubt Rielly will be a top pairing D man.

Grigorenko was quite impressive in the World Juniors.

Deft puck handling ability and passing.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I don't know if its been mentioned yet but remember that he hardly even played last year.

This is such a good moveIMO. Let him get tons of confidence down there. There is no rush

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
I thought MR played great considering he had limited ice time. They really pushed Murphy,Rheinhart, and Harrington imo and we saw the flaws of Murphy and Harrington. Reilly isnt your big hitting D-man, but the kid positions himself excellently and works the puck hard. Murphy got beat on the outside and so did Harrington, and they will adjust later but Morgan played great and should of been on the PP more IMO. As for Grigorenko he looked great cause he had space, I dont know how well he will adapt to being punished by the big boys in the NHL, cause he tends to shy away when he gets hit. I could see him being sent down after 5 games like Scheifle did last year.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
i disagree and i'm a Canucks fan and hate the leafs! I thought Reilly looked great over in Russia. I never in my life seen a player toe drag at top speed the Way Morgan does... He reminds me of Duncan Keith with better hands!

Frankly im shocked they never gave him 5 games

Would someone have to clear waivers in order to free a spot to give Rielly his 5 games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad