What Roster changes do you make if Marner doesn't waive?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
There was literally no other source outside of Ferris/Dreger who reported the offer sheets.

Offer sheets for Mitch Marner fabricated to make some perception that Mitch was valued at the same $ value around the league as he was to the Leafs - which after we learned when Rantanen signed, we way overpaid for Mitch.

Imagine being one of those absolute simpletons who just thought Marner was simply $1.8M better than Rantanen.

Dubas was embarassed with how much overpay Mitch wanted.

So he floated the rumor about offer sheets.

or .... the stupid media just made it up.

Dubas was a rookie GM and panicked.

Marner ate Dubas for dinner and the rest his history.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It is nice when you agree with me every now and then ;)

According to my own Mom I am the handsomest and smartest man in Canada.
Willing to bet that when Mitch found out that those offers were less than what Dubas was offering... Mitch quickly called Dubas "to get something done".

Shockingly... Mitch and his agent never revealed whether the offers were for more money than what Leafs gave him. Apparently, Mitch told his agent he didnt even want to know what the other offers were 🙄.

Do you think Paul and Mitch Marner would not broadcast to the world that Mitch took less to be a Leaf? It would've been across every newspaper by the morning had he took less.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
There was literally no other source outside of Ferris/Dreger who reported the offer sheets.

It was all fabricated to make some perception that Mitch was valued at the same $ value around the league as he was to the Leafs - which after we learned when Rantanen signed, we way overpaid for Mitch.

Imagine being one of those absolute simpletons who just thought Marner was simply $1.8M better than Rantanen.
Rumors were that other GMs were pissed with Dubas over the contract. One of those GMs was probably Colorado.... who had Rantanen to sign.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Willing to bet that when Mitch found out that those offers were less than what Dubas was offering... Mitch quickly called Dubas "to get something done".

Shockingly... Mitch and his agent never revealed whether the offers were for more money than what Leafs gave him. Apparently, Mitch told his agent he didnt even want to know what the other offers were 🙄.

Do you think Paul and Mitch Marner would not broadcast to the world that Mitch took less to be a Leaf? It would've been across every newspaper by the morning had he took less.

This kid is so disappointing man. His hockey IQ and skills are off the charts, but he is a total TikTok player. Hard to believe he evolved to be so unclutch considering his pedigree on the London Knights.

Reactions: Antropovsky

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
And just to be clear suggesting they sit Marner until he waives is not a valid answer because not a single NHL team would do that to a guy that can put up 90+ points.

So lets say he's he says no which is his contractual right what roster moves would you make?

Me, regardless f if he waives or not, I'm looking at moving Kampf and Jarnkork, I like both, but I think we can do better.

I'm also going after Pesce and either Zadorov or Tanev.

Up front my targets are Viktor Arvidson and Dakota Joshua.

In net I'm targeting every available goalie on the trade market Gibson, Merzlikns, Saros, Markstrom, all of them, everybody.
Try and trade mathews to annaheim then lol
Somebody has to go if we wanna play in the third round at least
U gotta have real good defenseman and goaltending period

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Mitch was dug in and the only reason he signed is because he heard the outrage from the fanbase when the Leafs leaked what he was turning down since the end of June. He deserves all the criticism he gets for the way he handled the negotiations. In my eyes, he showed it was all about the money and who cares that my deal put us in cap hell. He won't be missed by many.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Try and trade mathews to annaheim then lol
Somebody has to go if we wanna play in the third round at least
U gotta have real good defenseman and goaltending period

Man, NOBODY on this website is more about goaltending than me, but trading Matthews would be profoundly stupid, besides his extension hasn't even started, he's got a full no move and he's not waiving it for the f***ing Ducks.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Man, NOBODY on this website is more about goaltending than me, but trading Matthews would be profoundly stupid, besides his extension hasn't even started, he's got a full no move and he's not waiving it for the f***ing Ducks.
Yeah you are married to Matty and Willy for a least a couple of more years before you can think about asking for a divorce. As for Mitch, Tre needs to to start the divorce proceedings soon.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think the Rangers got the right idea, if you're gonna pay big on a scoring winger, limit it to only one, and still be modest with the rest of the spending on forwards. Marner and Nylander being paid that big makes no sense at all.

1716649367154.png

Same thing with Florida too, paying big on Tkachuk and Barkov is just fine as long as you're responsible with the rest of the spending.

Matthews and Nylander are stupidly expensive don't get me wrong, but having the 2 of them at the top of the cap hits isn't the worst thing ever. At this point we kind of just have to blindly hope they figure out how to go next level in the playoffs.

It's a very common trend among the top teams to limit their very high paid forwards to two. Colorado, Tampa, Edmonton, whoever. Even with Tavares gone, there's still no room for Marner if you're serious about being a cup contending team.

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
Batherson has been complaining about his ankles sprain affecting his game and still kind of slow. Do we need to lock up a lame horse for another 8 years? Especially greedy lame horse.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

TSN's Craig Button believes that while the Toronto Maple Leafs have a new voice in Craig Berube, they will continue to struggle unless there's a major change to the roster.​

When the Leafs hired Berube, the point was made about a new voice to help push the Leafs further into the playoffs. Berube is the opposite of now New Jersey Devils head coach Sheldon Keefe. Unlike Keefe, Berube is a hard-nosed coach that relies more on outworking the opponent more than "X's and O's" and analytics. Unfortunately, as we saw during the Mike Babcock years and years under Keefe, it doesn't matter who the coach is because the Leafs are so top-heavy on their roster that they can't spread the money out, leading to continuous rollover year after year across their lineup.

According to Craig Button, Berube will experience the same short falls as his predecessors unless GM Brad Treliving provides him with a significant change in the form of a trade of a Core 4 member, which would allow them to spread some money around to balance to the roster.

"Until they get roster balance, Craig Berube is gonna run into the same types of coaching problems Sheldon Keefe did," said Button on TSN1050's First Up.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Is this for real? It would have to be aimed at other teams. His camp has done such a bad job with his brand in Toronto and things would just get a lot worse. They need to get in recovery mode and start trending in the other direction.
They won't because Mitch knows they won't give him that. Leafs lost to camp Nylander already. He gave his price saying don't trade for me if you can't pay.

I don't doubt it. Many players leave Tor and thrive.

RAM

Feb 16, 2015
Marner is in a very bad light with a lot of the maple leaf fans I don't know how he salvages it maybe if he resigns for like 6 million over 6 years or something crazy like that. He really needs a fresh start somewhere else where he can be away from all the media If he doesn't wave his no movement clause its going to get really ugly for him very fast its hard to change a perspective of being a selfish bitch of a hockey player

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Using this site for contract predictions:

My best roster keeping Marner, and building a case for trading him for Askarov:

Kampf, Jarnkrok, Timmins traded.

Knies (0.9) - Matthews (13.3) - Marner (10.9)

Robertson (1.4) - Domi (3.6) - Nylander (11.5)

McMann (1.4) - Tavares (11) - Cowan/Greb (0.9)

Dewar (1.4) - Holmberg (0.8) - Trenin (2.5)

Reaves (1.35)

Rielly (7.5) - Pesce (6.3)

Benoit (1.4) - McCabe (2)

Edmundson (1.7) - Liljegren (3.2)

Lyubushkin (1.5)

Woll (0.8)

Stolarz (2.2)

~300k cap space

—-

Marner for Askarov +

Bertuzzi (5.3) - Matthews (13.5) - Domi (3.6)

Knies (0.9) - Wennberg (3.9) - Nylander (11.5)

McMann (1.4) - Tavares (11) - Robertson (1.4)

Dewar (1.4) - Holmberg (0.8) - Trenin (2.5)

Reaves (1.35)

Rielly (7.5) - Pesce (6.3)

McCabe (2) - Roy (5.8)

Benoit (1.4) - Liljegren (3.2)

Lyubushkin (1.5)

Woll (0.8)

Askarov (0.9)

~100k cap space

To me the pros are:

Cost controlled and talented goalie pair

Balanced forwards

Complete defensive group

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Trades:
To St. Louis - Nick Robertson, Tim Liljegren, Dave Kampf, and Ron Hirvonen
To Toronto - Colton Parayko and Alexey Toropchenko

Signings:
Max Domi - 4 x 4
Chris Tanev - 3 x 4
Cam Talbot - 2 x 2
Joel Edmundson - 2 x 2.5

Matthew Knies - Auston Matthews - Mitch Marner
Bobby McMann - Max Domi - William Nylander
Easton Cowan - John Tavares - Calle Jarnkrok
Alexey Toropchencko - Pontus Holmberg - Nikita Grebyonkin
Ryan Reaves

Morgan Rielly - Chris Tanev
Joel Edmundson - Colton Parayko
Simon Benoit - Jake McCabe
Cale Webber

Joseph Woll
Cam Talbot

Moving Marner allows you to upgade Edmundson, move Domi to wing, replace him with a better center, and/or uprade Talbot in net.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I think that's gotta be fabricated to some degree. No team, and I mean no team, is giving Mitch Marner $14M/year. That would be an unbelievably bad contract, ten times worse than even 34's and 88's crappy deals.
That would be absolutely insane and Kypreos is a clown for even suggesting it

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
They bend over backwards to blame everyone around Marner. I've even read Sheldon Keefe get blamed even though he gave Mitch loads of minutes and opportunity, all with the best goal scorer in the league, even during stretches where it's clear they shouldn't be on the same line.

I honestly don't know if it's attempted gaslighting or just pure delusion.
So why was Keefe canned? Players can’t be their own coach.

Last edited:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think that's gotta be fabricated to some degree. No team, and I mean no team, is giving Mitch Marner $14M/year. That would be an unbelievably bad contract, ten times worse than even 34's and 88's crappy deals.
Except that Kypreos was the first guy to link Nylander to $11.5. He definitely knows a lot of these guys and their agents and families.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
100%. The $14m/year is based on his $100m ask but for 7 years as the poster suggested teams could pay Mitch the same money in 7 years. Mitch @ 12.5m would be a bad contract but when Willy gets $11.5 and Hubie gets $10.5, there is likely a GM that would pay. IMO alpha dogs should be earning that much. Mitch has proven he is not an alpha dog.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad