What probability do you feel Ovechkin has to catch Gretzky now? (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I don't expect this to actually happen, but if it did... under this context... "legendary" isn't a strong enough word. That would be way up there in terms of unforgettable single-season runs.
Agreed - it would be epic given the era.

30 years after the last 50 in 50, Ovechkin, as a 36 year old, accomplishes 50 in 50 in an era where players other than Ovechkin only score 50 in 82 every other season.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
It's a selfish shitty reason, but it's also the truth. I am Canadian, and I'd love for the three biggest records to stay with a Canadian.

Goals, Assists and Points.

But in all honesty age would have to hit Ovie like a mack truck for him to not break this record, which is possible since scoring is the hardest thing to do in this league, I kept thinking it was going to come but he proves me wrong every year.

So I will be rooting against him, for my selfish Canadian loving reasons, but that doesn't mean I don't respect him and I will never belittle such an achievement.

If he does it at least I can say I witnessed it, but I still hope he doesn't, because I truly love the Legend of Wayne Gretzky.

kugelbahn

Feb 15, 2018
It's a selfish shitty reason, but it's also the truth. I am Canadian, and I'd love for the three biggest records to stay with a Canadian.

But in all honesty age would have to hit Ovie like a mack truck for him to not break this record, which is possible since scoring is the hardest thing to do in this league, I kept thinking it was going to come but he proves me wrong every year.

So I will be rooting against him, for my selfish Canadian loving reasons, but that doesn't mean I don't respect him and I will never belittle such an achievement.

If he does it at least I can say I witnessed it, but I still hope he doesn't, because I truly love the Legend of Wayne Gretzky.
Wane is legend for sure, no doubt for anyone.

His records were in the era where large majority of players were Canadian. So those records belong to Canadians, who else?

This is completely different era, environment and different level competition. There is no definite answer who is GOAT goalscorer, both have a claim.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Dude's unstoppable. I say 90% he does it based on his start this season. I can't remember a player like him that you simply can't stop. He just scores. You just deal with it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Has there ever been a more prolific goal scorer that was so boring. Early on in his career he use to score highlight reel goals. Now I watch the highlights and every goal is the same. He might end up with the most goals all time but there will be ten plus players with better highlights
He's 36. You aren't going to score many highlight goals at that age.

When his career is done he'll have awesome highlights. They'll just be from when he was in his prime. That's how it is with almost every player.

Reactions: Sentinel

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Because he's dirty and a huge supporter of the dictator Putin. That's why.

Not saying Putin is a good guy(quite the opposite) but Putin kills a hell of a lot less people than any American president. So if we're going to bring up all players political views i think noone will be happy and we'd have to fold the league.

I also do not like Putin but Ovi is still a very entertaining, skilled and legendary hockey player. He can be dirty but all winners are when they have the chance.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Just think about it when it's last 10-30 goals to record. Every arena he scores going to be buzzing. And everybody definitely count them loud and clear. That is exciting thing to wait.

Imagine ticket prices at every stadium and arenas in the NHL the year it becomes plausible that Ovie breaks the record.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Yep, that is shitty!

Canada pioneered a wonderful game. It caught on in foreign counties. There is a player who fell in love with the game as a child and made it into his life's work. He brings unbridled love, enthusiasm, and positive energy to the game for two decades. But instead of embracing this player for loving the same thing you are a fan of, you are instead bitter because he wasn't born in your area of the world - something none of us have any control over.

It's irrational, at best. Nativism and nationalism are based on a similar logic to racism or homophobia - you oppose someone due to perceived differences you both had no control over.

You seem to be aware of how small-minded that stuff is. The fact that you are not in denial presents you with an opportunity that lesser people (who remain in eternal denial) could never achieve: Why not just drop it from your operating system?

Last edited:

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Howe supported Putin?
Your reasons suck and you sound like a hater, also let's not act like Putin is the worst thing in the world because if you do that shows your naivety about the world and politics in general. Stay off CNN man.

I swear Ovechkin haters have to be the most vocal bunch of people in hockey fandom and the only reason I can see why is simply xenophobia. It's a term I hate using but that's all it has to be because he isn't remotely a dirty player at all and using that as a reason is lame.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Because he's dirty and a huge supporter of the dictator Putin. That's why.

Who cares where his political support aligns lol..
He’s the best goal scorer to ever live. That’s like me saying I hope American hockey players don’t succeed cause they support a president that abandoned other Americans in Afghanistan. I’m not even sure why your first thought is putin to discredit a hockey players achievement.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Yep, that is shitty!

Canada pioneered a wonderful game. It caught on in foreign counties. There is a player who fell in love with the game as a child and made it into his life's work. He brings unbridled love, enthusiasm, and positive energy to the game for two decades. But instead of embracing this player for loving the same thing you are a fan of, you are instead bitter because he wasn't born in your area of the world - something none of us have any control over.

It's irrational, at best. Nativism and nationalism are based on a similar logic to racism or homophobia - you oppose someone due to perceived differences you both had no control over.

You seem to be aware of how small-minded that stuff is. The fact that you are not in denial presents you with an opportunity that lesser people (who remain in eternal denial) could never achieve: Why not just drop it from your operating system?
I'll also argue that he plays like a Canadian. Sad people still think like this.

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
I want to say I hope he doesn't, only because I love the history of the older days. Then I realize Hank Aaron doesn't have the cool factor that Babe had. So I guess Gretzky would probably still be remembered more fondly over time.
Will still be the points leader by wide margin.
I was hoping Pujols would catch Bonds, but COVID 2020 killed what slim chance was left.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
There have been about 7500 skaters in the NHL since the league started. Of those 7500, only 5 have more goals, and that number will soon be 4. And there are posters here saying he isn’t one of the best players ever???
still Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Howe to me... goal scorer debatable vs. the Great One

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Has there ever been a more prolific goal scorer that was so boring. Early on in his career he use to score highlight reel goals. Now I watch the highlights and every goal is the same. He might end up with the most goals all time but there will be ten plus players with better highlights

He might be the GOAT but there are more exciting sheep

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I believe Ovi breaking the goal record doesn’t take anything away from Gretzky’s status and greatness in general.

No matter how many goals Ovi scores, he will still retire with fewer points than 99 had assists. That in itself sums up 99’s greatness. Even if Ovi breaks the record, I don’t believe Gretzky will ever fall lower than 2nd place in all time rankings of that category, because Ovi’s pretty much the only man in existence capable of breaking that record.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Toews? You cant seriously be comparing Backstrom to Toews? The guy leads the entire league, which means Crosby, during his career in assists and he needs to be better?
Read carefully. Even Toews was not overshadowed by Kane. Malkinwas not overshadowed by Crosby. Backstrom was very much outshadowed by Ovechkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad