What probability do you feel Ovechkin has to catch Gretzky now? (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
It's a selfish shitty reason, but it's also the truth. I am Canadian, and I'd love for the three biggest records to stay with a Canadian.

Goals, Assists and Points.

But in all honesty age would have to hit Ovie like a mack truck for him to not break this record, which is possible since scoring is the hardest thing to do in this league, I kept thinking it was going to come but he proves me wrong every year.

So I will be rooting against him, for my selfish Canadian loving reasons, but that doesn't mean I don't respect him and I will never belittle such an achievement.

If he does it at least I can say I witnessed it, but I still hope he doesn't, because I truly love the Legend of Wayne Gretzky.
The Legend of Wayne Gretzky will very much survive. He will keep his other 60 records.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Read carefully. Even Toews was not overshadowed by Kane. Malkinwas not overshadowed by Crosby. Backstrom was very much outshadowed by Ovechkin.
I don't see how you can argue Malkin wasn't over shadowed when he was left off things like the best 100 players list and guys like Toews made it ahead of him. He had a great career and achieved plenty of accolades but he didn't get the recognition he would have had he not been playing behind Crosby.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Even if he stays healthy his twitch muscles will go in about 2 years, when that happens his reaction times will slow to a halt, his shot will be only good when given a lot of time to get it off, without a doubt he's the best goal scorer ever but father time gets everyone, I say he misses by 40 goals.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Even if he stays healthy his twitch muscles will go in about 2 years, when that happens his reaction times will slow to a halt, his shot will be only good when given a lot of time to get it off, without a doubt he's the best goal scorer ever but father time gets everyone, I say he misses by 40 goals.
Tom Brady is still the best QB at age 52. People underestimate how good the legends are because they remember them when they were even better. Ovie is still the best scorer despite being old. Hes not a highlight real machine anymore but he plays more efficiently thanks to experience. Scoring is still easy for him. If Selanne can get over 30 goals at age 40 then Ovie can easily match that feat.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
What's the point of bringing this in? It's a hockey board.

Because someone asked me why I don't want to see him break records and that's the reason. All Putin's enemies around the world mysteriously wind up dead and that's OK but calling someone an offensive name garners outrage.

Reactions: Sentinel and vshun

TJHKY

Aug 10, 2021
Ovi will break record and score 900 goals, then he will retired.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Tom Brady is still the best QB at age 52. People underestimate how good the legends are because they remember them when they were even better. Ovie is still the best scorer despite being old. Hes not a highlight real machine anymore but he plays more efficiently thanks to experience. Scoring is still easy for him. If Selanne can get over 30 goals at age 40 then Ovie can easily match that feat.

Is this a joke that I just don't understand lol

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Because someone asked me why I don't want to see him break records and that's the reason. All Putin's enemies around the world mysteriously wind up dead and that's OK but calling someone an offensive name garners outrage.

I'm not sure Ovie really has a choice - which makes him no different from any other Russian citizen.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Stay off CNN dude, seriously, it's messing you up. There are no good people in politics and Putin is tame compared to leaders of past eras. This is a hockey board.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Stay off CNN dude, seriously, it's messing you up. There are no good people in politics and Putin is tame compared to leaders of past eras. This is a hockey board.

I don't watch CNN no matter how many times you say it. Nice make believe rooskie avatar.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I'd be more surprised if he didn't break Gretzky's career goal total record at this point.

barring a major injury, he breaks the record sometime during the 2024-2025 season

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I'd be more surprised if he didn't break Gretzky's career goal total record at this point.

barring a major injury, he breaks the record sometime during the 2024-2025 season

Easier said than done (he’ll probably hit around 850). All the pieces have to fall into place for it to happen and it can get derailed easily with an injury or steep decline from father age catching up. Hope he does it though!

Reactions: Anton13

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Brady is 44, not 52. You're thinking of Gordie Howe.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
There are plenty of Russian citizens who do NOT support Putin. Hell, his colleague Panarin doesn't.

And you think its coincedence that first Wilson severely attacked and almost killed Panarin..

and that he only has 2 goals this season so far...

Reactions: Plural

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
There are plenty of Russian citizens who do NOT support Putin. Hell, his colleague Panarin doesn't.

Panarin is one of the few. Malkin, Kovalchuk and the most other superstars are fans of Putin. I personally don't like it.

But these guys are hockey players and that should matter first in a hockey forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benedict Kovalchuk

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
One thing to consider, Ovie is 35, will be 36 in September. 7 goals in 19 games is not very Ovechkin-like and he's not looked like himself this year. Granted, a lot of players his age are "losing it". Crosby, Malkin come to mind also as not playing the best hockey this year. Part of it could be age, and we saw similar things like this after 2004 and 2012 lockouts where a player in his 30s quite often just can't afford to have this much time taken off at this age and get back to his past play. He is at the 2017 level where he had 33 goals in 82 games, before ringing off Rocket Richard trophies the last three years. You never want to count him out, or say that perhaps his goal scoring is drying up (to his standards) but he hasn't looked the same this year.
So, how about now?! Ovechkin has 10 goals in 10 games this year, while Matthews and Laine have 3 and Pastrnak who tarnished Ovechkin's legacy has only 2 goals. Will Ovechkin win another Rocket this year? Will Ovechkin score 50 goals this season? Will Ovechkin return to 90 points for the first time in 12 years? And is it time to admit that Ovechkin will pass Gretzky in career goals yet?!

Reactions: Vikke

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami

No. It will slowly decline. No drop off. He's an elite athlete, with elite world class neuromuscular coordination.

Salanne, etc declined but they still retain their strengths, and in Ovechkin's case, his is his shot.

Pass him the puck, he's crushing it past goalies to age 50.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Assuming he hits 50 this year then this would give him 780 career goals.

That means he would need to average 28.5 goals per season over the last 4 years of his contract to hit 894 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad