What makes you hate/dislike a team?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I tend to hate certain types of fans than teams, although in some cases with teams I dislike the two go hand in hand hence why I dislike the team

-Drunken idiots, people who try to start fights, people who think because their team is "historic" that they automatically know more about the game than fans of non-historical teams, fans who are very vocal about who they think "deserves" a team vs those who don't, whining about the refs favoring the home team even though the road team was awarded two power plays already, etc.

I also don't care about your fantasy team nor do I care to "debate" you about it. I want to watch the game, thanks.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I would also like to take this time to say, while I am a Hurricanes fan, there is a portion of our fanbase I absolutely cannot stand.

Some of our fans on social media are complete asshats. They make inappropriate memes such as 9/11 when the team beats the NY/NJ teams and have sent death threats to opposing players. They also snipe at fellow fans about sportsmanship and whatnot.

I also am beginning to strongly dislike the social media team. They are beginning to become less funny/clever and are running the account like it's their own personal account. I think they are stirring the pot for the abovementioned asshats to continue their asshat behavior.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Lack of any actual recent success...especially when combined with a fan base who is delusional in believing that their scrub team deserves current relevance.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I'm a Canes fan and hate every team which has caused me to be pissed off for losing to them in meaningful games or whose fans are ass hats in our arena. So I hate the entire Eastern Conference with the possible exception of Ottawa.
When has Montreal ever beaten the Hurricanes in any meaningful game? Or are have fans been ass hats in their arena?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I was thinking, I don't hate Florida. No reason to. I'm starting to hate Edmonton. The constant fawning over McDavid, and it seems like every other thread is a 'Is McDavid good?', obsessive validation thread.

What makes you hate teams?

No reason? Are you sure? Matthew Tkachuk is plenty hateable.

Usually I hate teams when they have a hateable guy on them, but with some teams, they have had many years with hateable guys so they draw your ire always.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Amount of dirtbags. Mostly players that try to make up for their shortcomings by making dangerous plays. Recent example; smaller player ducking a hit to save themselves while clipping another guys knees.

Amount of total douchebaggitry as measured on the Tkachuk scale. Something like 0->Bradley->Matthew->Keith.

Fanbases are harder to peg down but maybe something like having too many people that would embarrass me if we were friends. There must be so many Canucks fans cringing at how some of their fellow fans have been behaving through this whole season.

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
Losing a lot to a team makes me feel bad. I associate those bad feelings with that particular team. With these bad feelings as a foundation I can weave whatever narrative on top that suits cherry picked observations about players, fans, or other circumstances to explain this hatred to myself. This allows me to externalise the bad feelings and project them onto something outside of myself for comfort and control. Then I'll apply a healthy dose of confirmation bias on top to reaffirm this status quo, because changing my mind all the time is just too hard. Then, as icing on this shit cake, I'll intellectualise the whole f***ing thing like I just have, and voilà, I have developed some solid hate with a twist of pretentiousness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lshap

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
1) the ignorance of the fan base - Oilers always whining about refs. I can't watch hockey with some of my friends who are Oilers fans. Their take on the game is skewed. I don't understand their mentality.
2) dirty players - Draisaitl. If Tkachuk lays out Kassian he has to step up and fight the player. Drai sticks a guy in the balls or lays an elbow to this chin, "oh he is a superstar, he shouldn't have to defend himself.". So Tkachuk does, but Drai doesn't.....see point number one.
3) simple rivalry.

Il Stugotz

Dude Good (good dude)
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
I hate the tiny minority of sadistic players that seem to actually enjoy injuring people. So currently I hate the Rangers most of all.

Reactions: 1989 and DaveG

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
• Certain players on that team can.

• Annoying obnoxious fan base.

• Media of a team behaving/reporting like glorified groupies.

Reactions: Frenchy

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
1.Rivalry (Flames, Nucks, LA)
2.Rats/dirt on the team (BOS, FLA, NYR)
3.Fan base ( MTL, TML, VAN)

As an Oilers fan.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
So many people mentioning fans as a reason to hate a team. That's an HF and/or social media thing.
If you polled fans who aren't HF members or heavily locked onto social media I doubt even .1% of them would even mention other teams fans.
People, especially some of the adults who post here, take this nonsense far too seriously. :laugh:

pf8363

Feb 17, 2015
When a team goes out and buys a website that’s extremely valuable to fans of the sport. That’ll make me hate a team

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Missing the playoffs 13 years in a row
Oh, he meant our OWN teams??

So many people mentioning fans as a reason to hate a team. That's an HF and/or social media thing.
If you polled fans who aren't HF members or heavily locked onto social media I doubt even .1% of them would even mention other teams fans.
People, especially some of the adults who post here, take this nonsense far too seriously. :laugh:
That's not true. I lived through the Islanders/Rangers rivalry and Rangers/Bruins before social media existed. The hate is as real as Thanksgiving with your mother in law!

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I tend to hate certain types of fans than teams, although in some cases with teams I dislike the two go hand in hand hence why I dislike the team

-Drunken idiots, people who try to start fights, people who think because their team is "historic" that they automatically know more about the game than fans of non-historical teams, fans who are very vocal about who they think "deserves" a team vs those who don't, whining about the refs favoring the home team even though the road team was awarded two power plays already, etc.

I also don't care about your fantasy team nor do I care to "debate" you about it. I want to watch the game, thanks.
Man, I was LOVING your post and then you did it!

Not caring about my fantasy team???? I can not and will not get past this stinging and upsetting monstrosity of a remark!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: HisIceness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad