What makes you hate/dislike a team?

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Fan interactions or a scumbag team identity more often than not. Sometimes I just find their playstyles extremely boring though and don't want to watch them play/succeed.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Rivalry mostly. As far as the Rangers go the fans for the most part are unsufferable, Mets history with Yankee mouths, it's exhausting, they have every advantage in the world available to them and still can't win anything ( sucks to suck ).

As for the Flyers, just ugh Philly sports in general. Every sport absolute garbage fan base.

Respectfully.

• Love
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Fan attitudes and behavior make me hate a team far more than just about anything a player does.

There are players on Florida that I wish could be disqualified from getting their name on the cup for being dirty little bitches, but I don't really have any ill feelings toward the team as a whole or the organization.

Reactions: DaveG

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
For me I dislike rival teams like the Rangers and Flyers and after that the only team I truly dislike is the Leafs and that is 100% because when I was young the only games I could watch were "Hockey Night in Canada" and that was ALWAYS the Leafs, didn't matter who they were playing or if two better teams were playing, it was always Toronto.

I distinctly remember the Devils playing Ottawa when they were both good and fighting for playoff spots but they didn't show that game they showed Toronto even though both teams were already eliminated from playoff contention.

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

IdleTraveller

Mar 30, 2024
London, UK
Aside from rivalry, history and geography [hello Tampa - those f***ers...], I have developed a seething hatred of all O6/"large market" teams mostly due to media attention/bias and ear-bleeding biased commentary during games. This may shock most sports commentators but a hockey game generally has TWO teams playing, so maybe spare a few words for the other team once in a while perhaps...

As for fans of other teams, we're all unbearable. That's part of the fun.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Fans, mostly. There's hyping and supporting your team and then there are other fans who actively choose to live in an alternate reality and make others suffer.

Players - mostly ones that are good and prevent my team from succeeding or ones that do dirt bag things.

Rivalry - I didn't like Ovechkin and the Caps for a long time because of the rivalry with the Pens. Now that it's died down, I've really come to appreciate Ovi and his goal scoring.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I hate Washington because they’re shutting down capfriendly.

Fair enough. Ted Leonsis is an entitled manipulative billionaire douche. He seems intent on filling the Dan Snyder vacuum.

That said, another site that does the exact same thing will likely pop up in no time - as was the case last time this happened.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Honestly this forum makes the percentage of insufferable fans seem much higher than it is in reality and that seems to have a stronger influence on disliking a team. If the internet didn’t exist maybe people would like the Leafs? But instead you have people in this very thread insulting a player’s appearance for what reason? Internet makes people act and seem worse and that definitely impacts how I see certain teams.

I certainly dislike the Bruins, but my best friend is a Bruins fan and I’ve gone to a Bruins game with them and had a blast surrounded by an army of Bruins fans in Buffalo.

I went to game 6 Leafs vs Bruins this year and met some fantastic Bruins fans who even after a loss were such good sports. Then of course there was one obnoxious Leafs fan who was being a dick to them. At the end of the day I think most fans are pleasant in person and just happy to talk about the sport they love the most with others.

Long story short I think id probably feel differently about some teams if I was less influenced by some of their fans. That’s not to say I’ll ever cheer for Brad Marchand, though. f*** Sam Bennett too. We should spend more time hating the players for being rats, or teams for pounding our own into the ground every round 1, and less time hating fans for being annoying on here.

Reactions: Lshap

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
mostly rivalries

a few fan bases have earned it mightly though (leafs and canucks)

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Far and away the most often it's the fans.
Followed by the Players.

It's easy to hate Dirty POS players like Reaves, Landeskog, Cooke, Foligno, Kadri, Gudas, Trouba, Wilson and the teams they play for.
But far and away it's fans.

It's why everyone hates Toronto. The team itself (sans Reaves) is fine, but the fans make you want nothing more than for them to fail.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
I live in Canada and hate most of the fanbases here. Usually because when the team they root for is a contender, they become insanely obnoxious.

Toronto: “We want Florida!” How stupid was that?

Vancouver: Let’s riot!

Montreal: Not much lately, but growing up I had to listen to bandwagon fans go on and on about their 24 cups. Also, let’s riot!

Edmonton: McDavid is elite shoved down your throat a million times. We know. Also according to their fans now, half the team should be considered “elite” because opposing teams don’t dare take their eyes off McDavid.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Lots is jealousy I imagine, especially the people that waste their time and energy relentlessly bashing a team over an over online, those are likely sad, angry people in real life I imagine. I hate (hate might be too strong a term, more like dislike) certain teams but typically it's due to rivalry and fans but I can still be very objective when discussing teams and players on teams I dislike because I am not immature.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto and Edmonton because of their fans. They act like Detroit fans acted when they were a dynasty, difference being of course, Detroit WAS a dynasty.

Kings, because they’re a rival, Quick and Doughty are dolts, and their fans are slobs.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I was thinking, I don't hate Florida. No reason to. I'm starting to hate Edmonton. The constant fawning over McDavid, and it seems like every other thread is a 'Is McDavid good?', obsessive validation thread.

What makes you hate teams?

The amount you dislike a team is shaped by your experiences watching that said team, and your specific fan experiences with said team

You mention there's no reason to hate Florida, but guys like Tkachuk, and Bennett I'm sure have left their fingerprints all over the league and are not exactly the role model types to put it mildly.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I dislike/hate every team that isn't Buffalo, partly because I fell in love with hockey at like 16, and it was more specific to the Sabres and less to hockey as a whole, and partly, probably, because of the Sabres themselves.

When you don't know even the smallest success, it's real easy to resent others having it. I have a very Daniel Plainsview...view. I want no one but the Sabres to succeed.

One standout team is of course Boston, because of the Lucic-Miller hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad