What makes you hate/dislike a team?

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
To me it's the combination of their fans/media, but also cases where teams having a big rivalry against my fav team.

Reactions: NotSNFan

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
After over 20 years on this forum, including many years as a mod/admin, I can say that every fanbase has it's "good" and "bad" posters. Thus larger fanbases will have a larger amount of annoying fans, especially when their team is doing well. Not to mention I haven't met a single hockey fan in person that I disliked for any hockey related reason. Fanbases don't bother me, I've grown out of that.

What makes me dislike a team is the conduct of their players. Teams that are prevalent in diving, whining to officials, taunting opponents, faking injuries to draw a penalty, etc really bother me. And yes, I will have double standards when it's my team acting like I described. We're all biased, that's just the way it is.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
I was thinking, I don't hate Florida. No reason to. I'm starting to hate Edmonton. The constant fawning over McDavid, and it seems like every other thread is a 'Is McDavid good?', obsessive validation thread.

What makes you hate teams?

Teams that over-rely on embellishment - looking at you, Vancouver.

Also, being the Edmonton Oilers.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
The fans is number 1 and second is location. As I get older pretty much 5-6 teams like to see fail in playoffs and regular season. It used to be quite a bit of teams did not care for. Mellowed out over the years. The three teams for sure don't like is NYR+Boston, and NJ. Then 2-3 other teams change if make playoffs or not. Like I used to not like Philly but think they suffered enough now. Feel bad for NYI as well because they went through some tough years as a franchise. The only teams dont like in the west is Vegas and LA. Anaheim and San Jose I'm neutral on them. My biggest dislike used to be Sens as was huge leafs fan but now since rivalry is dead wish them the best but not when playing the leafs.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
50% irrational bullshit
50% rivalry or rational things

Like for irrational, my worst example is an ex of mine ended up with a new guy a year later and I saw her around town with him both of them wearing Bruins jerseys so I hated the Bruins for a little while until I grew up and got over it. I'm also man enough to admit that my dislike of the Oilers is at least partially irrational: I found it very annoying that they monopolized first overall three years in a row and still ended up winning the McDavid lottery. I don't like thinking that the product of lottery f***ery has the opportunity to result in a cup this year.

Somewhere in the middle, I hated the Predators for a while cause they kept knocking the Ducks out of the playoffs. It's kind of a playoff rivalry hatred so it's justified but at the end of the day that's the Ducks just not having been good enough.

Currently, I feel justified in the teams I actively hate or dislike apart from Edmonton which I admit there's some irrationality. LA and San Jose, they're rivals of the two teams I support (Anaheim as the childhood team, Vegas as the local team). Chicago, the whole sexual assault/abuse cover-up business and getting a 2 million dollar flick on the wrist for it, it's going to take me a while for me to stop reviling that team.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
I don't hate or dislike any team. Not worth the energy, I cheer for my team and let other people worry about theirs. The people who spend more energy hating a team vs cheering for their own baffle me. How miserable of a life do you live that hating a sports team that doesn't affect you takes up so much time and energy cough Leaf haters cough

Strexvale

Mar 8, 2007
East Aurora, NY
I tend to hate teams that play dirty against my team, especially when the dirty play injuries one of my team's players while the other team goes unpunished. I'll forever hate the Bruins for what Lucic did to Miller (which was the on-ice incident that, in my opinion, essentially kick-started the Sabres downward slide to irrelevancy... with plenty of help from Pegula of course.) I'll always hate the Lightning, Panthers, and Flyers for similar plays that have done the same in recent years.

Irrationally, I'll hate teams that seem to always get preferential treatment from the league/refs .(looking your way Pittsburgh). I recognize that there's confirmation bias at play here, but watch long enough and it's really easy to see what you perceive as a trend become reality when enough things happen.

Then there are just the teams that are fun to hate because of sports rivalries. (Toronto is this right now, probably the only real one the Sabres have left, and that's almost solely because of fans invading the building... nothing on ice anymore)

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
1) Players that dive
2) Players that make dirty hits repeatedly
3) Teams that cheat
4) Divisional rivals/Playoffs

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I tend to hate teams that play dirty against my team, especially when the dirty play injuries one of my team's players while the other team goes unpunished. I'll forever hate the Bruins for what Lucic did to Miller (which was the on-ice incident that, in my opinion, essentially kick-started the Sabres downward slide to irrelevancy... with plenty of help from Pegula of course.) I'll always hate the Lightning, Panthers, and Flyers for similar plays that have done the same in recent years.

Irrationally, I'll hate teams that seem to always get preferential treatment from the league/refs .(looking your way Pittsburgh). I recognize that there's confirmation bias at play here, but watch long enough and it's really easy to see what you perceive as a trend become reality when enough things happen.

Then there are just the teams that are fun to hate because of sports rivalries. (Toronto is this right now, probably the only real one the Sabres have left, and that's almost solely because of fans invading the building... nothing on ice anymore)
Bruins were high on my list for what they did to Leafs and Habs. Then add the brutality Bruins used to do other teams.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I used to hate all Sun Belt teams. But that changed a bit over time. Some teams moved up the rankings for sure.

There's weird stuff that can temporarily sway me against a team though. I remember seeing that Senators intro in the 2007 playoffs and after that I just had a general problem with the team for a while. I also remember CBC constantly talking about the "Red Mile" in Calgary for a while and how great it is, how Calgary has the best fans and all that and it made me really dislike the Flames for a while.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I agree I'm tired of the Oilers and McDavid...As a Sabres fan what made me hate teams were teams in our division that we played 7 or 8x a year....Then we would see them in the playoffs...I'm still mad at Boston when they beat us in 7 games back in the 80s....Some Boston fan threw a firecracker on the ice that distracted our goalie (Sauve) and led the a Bruins goal....And that Brad Park game 7 OT winner was a killer....Also didn't care much for the Habs and Nordiques back in the day.

Reactions: Ace of Hades

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
How their fans act in our house. Some fanbases are respectable and cheer on their teams, others have comments, carried on in our shitty owner years, poured beer over friends heads, etc. NY, Toronto, Montreal, Philly, to name a few. And now Edmonton fans, holy shit. Game 1 fans, granted most were fine, those that weren't and others from HF...yeah, f*** the Oilers. Guys got in out faces, they lost, we had nothing to do with it, we're fans too. Buddy pushed one over the aisle, it carried into the main concourse, guy and another buddy lock up, I step in and peel him off. Wtf. Then they got swarmed by Panther fans and finally relaxed...UNTIL, LMAO. We were outside, hadn't seen them in 10-15 minutes, then the guy that pushed over the aisle appears out of nowhere and gets back in my buddy's face. We just walked away, it's not worth it. Had a good laugh headed to our cars, though. TF did he come from.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
It's different for each team team but my top reasons are fans, players, and coaches. In some cases though it's because of the general disdain I have for a team's city or state.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Irrationality
With some dose of pettiness, insecurity, .....

As a kids it was a lot based on the jersey colors, big fan of blue team Nordiques-Leafs and dislike of red teams (Mtl-RedWings that were often natural enemy to the blue team), orange teams like the flames were perfectly good and fine.

Sport can be more fun if you root for someone, you almost always need to come up with non-sense reason why you like one or the other. Now it is often player base, I liked Patrice Bergeron, may as well see him win type of non-sense.

wolfofthesteppes

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Magic Theater
I'm a Canes fan and hate every team which has caused me to be pissed off for losing to them in meaningful games or whose fans are ass hats in our arena. So I hate the entire Eastern Conference with the possible exception of Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad