Euro: Group E Final Round

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's tough to get a good format. If you have more than 3 group stage games it increases the length of the tournament in an already crowded summer and 3 group stage games leaves too much room for a bad game to threaten your knockout places so teams end up defaulting to play conservatively.

Ideally you'd have a longer tournament and have 4-5 or more group stage games with broader groups so you don't end up with a single bad game screwing your tourney, but in order to realistically do that you'd have to cut back on the club game to expand the available time during the summer to hold it.
Without adding any matches you could at least compare all teams rather than just the 3rd placed ones so that the 1st placed team of the entire group stage plays the 16th and so on.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Romania vs. Slovakia draw was the easiest bet of the tournament though. Went all the way down to +110 before kickoff which is unheard of for a draw.
You didn't watch the game, did you? Except maybe the last 10 minutes (extra time included) it was a back and forth affair. This wasn't Sweden vs Denmark in 2004.

Shame on Belgium btw, we won this group playing guys from Muaither, Al-Okhood and Damac... who? exactly!

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
You didn't watch the game, did you? Except maybe the last 10 minutes (extra time included) it was a back and forth affair. This wasn't Sweden vs Denmark in 2004.

Shame on Belgium btw, we won this group playing guys from Muaither, Al-Okhood and Damac... who? exactly!

No I did not. But seeing those odds, it was the easiest bet of the tournament. Draws are usually +200 to +300 for games that are relatively even matchups. At +110, it screamed draw.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
No I did not. But seeing those odds, it was the easiest bet of the tournament. Draws are usually +200 to +300 for games that are relatively even matchups. At +110, it screamed draw.
Your butt cheeks would have probably clenched at those 20+ shots on goal

I know mine did :D

Also our left back (the only one we have at the Euros) got a yellow and will be suspended for the next game. Not what one does in a "biscotto".

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Your butt cheeks would have probably clenched at those 20+ shots on goal

I know mine did :D

Also our left back (the only one we have at the Euros) got a yellow and will be suspended for the next game. Not what one does in a "biscotto".

Well the xG was 1.19 vs. 1.18 so it could have ended 2-2 and I'd take it!

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
1719486325585.png

Marca and Gazetta can suck it with their "biscotto", The Guardian is still the reference in journalism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad