What makes you hate/dislike a team?

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Their players have a history of delivering career altering injuries to players I like (Looking at you ulf samuelson and matt cooke) + wear the same color scheme as your favorite team lol.

Consistent playoff matchups help too. We had some great series with Montreal in my life but the rivalry has really fallen apart the last decade or so. I feel like I'm supposed to hate the Habs but I really don't.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I've always hated the Oilers. In fact, I can never take them seriously. But lost complete respect for them when they signed Evander Kane.

But I've always hated New Jersey because I was an Avs fan. But Vegas is my number one!

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
80% fan interactions online, 20% scumbag players.

In person, most fans are pretty pleasant.

Seems like the pulse of the thread, overall.

I really dislike the Maple Leafs, personally. I don't even really have a good reason like a real rivalry or anything. I'm a Rangers fan. It's probably just from negative interactions with other fans on forums like these. I've seen the Rangers come up a ton here, too, and it's probably the same reason. All teams have shit-stirrer fans, but larger fanbases will just proportionally have more.

But other than that, the outcome of the games have no appreciable effect on my life. It's New York, and not too many folks care about hockey anyway/

I can't be bothered arguing online or trash-talking people because it backfires for 31/32 teams every year. Just a never-ending pissing match when I'd rather talk and appreciate the sport overall.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Hate: it has a Tkachuk or is Chicago
Like: it does not have a Tkachuk or is not chicago
Love: is based in Detroit

NotSNFan

Nov 18, 2022
Media and fans, but with explanation:

I hate the teams whose media and fans I'm over-exposed to. I'm a Habs fan. Live in Vancouver. My TV sports media consists of TSN and Rogers Sportsnet (which focus too much for my taste on Toronto sports franchises). Hence my "hate" for the Leafs, Blue Jays, and Raptors. The Toronto CFL franchise - the Argos - isn't "over"covered because they don't have much of as fanbase, therefore, I don't hate them.

I don't have a smartphone, so my media is pretty traditional. Living in Vancouver, if I wants sports radio, I have 1 option and the station is virtually 100% Canucks when it's airing local stuff. The 2 local newspapers basically cover only the Canucks and the rest are stuff from wire services like Canadian Press and Postmedia, which means a lot of Toronto-based team coverage. When the Canucks made the playoffs this year, every local radio station and TV station would have coverage/stories. Difficult to avoid.

Neither the fans of the Leafs or Canucks bother me because I don't over-expose my self to them. I don't read comments on the Leafs board. Basically, I read only the thread about media on the Canucks board and only for certain posts/topics.

I have nothing against the players on the teams I hate. I'd rather have had the leafs' players on the Habs in the past 5 years. Going forward, I'd rather have the Canucks' roster than the Habs' roster.

I don't hate or strongly dislike any other teams in the league because I don't overexpose myself to their media. I'm sure if I watched the pre-game shows for say, Minnesota, the intermissions (local broadcasts), listed to local Minneapolis sports radio, read Minneapolis sports pages, read the comments of Minnesota fans on HFs website, there's a good chance I'd develop a hate for the team.

Until regional broadcasts of Habs games became available here in BC (TSN2 or streaming), and websites like HF with fans' comments, there wasn't really anything I "hated" about the Habs. Now, I've developed a major dislike/hate of some of the broadcast team on the regional broadcasts as well as MANY of the habs' fans who post on social media sites like HF.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I dislike Boston because they consistently embarrass my team, also sending Raycrap for Rask then the Kessel trade.
I dislike Edmonton because of their fans, if they didn't hate my team so much and argue with me nonstop here, Id be cheering for them right now
I dislike MTL and OTT just not that much right now

Oh and I HATE the Caps for taking away Capfriendly

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I generally don't hate a whole lot. Life is better if you define yourself based on what you like and enjoy, positives, rather than what you dislike. No sense giving negatives more time or attention than needed. But I do understand the context of sports rivalries here. And I'd say my "hate" for a team stems from 3 things (already mentioned in the thread). In ascending order:

Their players. It's easy to dislike a team that has unlikeable players.

Playoff defeats. It's easy to dislike a team that beats yours.

Fans. The top reason. As a Leafs fan I totally understand why many other fanbases dislike Toronto, as there's a very vocal minority of insufferable Leafs fans. They're obnoxious, uninformed, and self centered. They would bother me the other way around. In turn, I can't stand an agressive minority of Habs and Bruins "fans" who only hate watch the Leafs and only talk hockey when they can maker fun of the Leafs. It's literally the worst part of sports fandom for me.

Dradavich

Nov 29, 2019
Canada
The only thing that gets to me to hate a team is either their fanbase (Maple Leafs) or stuff that happens in the playoffs (Colorado/Vegas/Kings). I can't really hate the Canucks or Flames because the oilers haven't been beaten by either of them in my lifetime.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Fans are the #1 reason. I don't hate players or teams much. The other reason is mostly owners who don't give a f*** about winning hockey and just want to milk a fanbase for all they're worth, bonus points if they also manage to f*** over the team you cheer for through absurd luck.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
IMG_3163.jpg

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I don't like players that embellish and constantly looking for calls. Every player does it here and there, but some guys are doing it consistently.

If you have some on your team, I may dislike it more than others.

Their players have a history of delivering career altering injuries to players I like (Looking at you ulf samuelson and matt cooke) + wear the same color scheme as your favorite team lol.

Consistent playoff matchups help too. We had some great series with Montreal in my life but the rivalry has really fallen apart the last decade or so. I feel like I'm supposed to hate the Habs but I really don't.
We're one round of playoffs away
Just need to get in there first 😂😂😂

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
What I hate is the hatred; the NHL seems to promote hatred between teams fanbases which I feel is unhealthy. I cheer for the game of hockey. I don't really "hate" any team and only some fans (who are filled with hate) really annoy me. Sorry Gary...

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Native Cheesehead here...We generally have a great disdain for any sports franchise from Chicago...Fan base is chock-full of dickheads - always starting trouble.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I do not hate/dislike any team or their fans.
Being raised in the greatest city in the world 🍎 we are taught always to be modest and never look down on all the little people and the inferior teams they root for.
;)

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
First of NY Rangers and LA, you want to move to the big city and be the main character I want to see you fail

Boston - This is enemy #1 for the Leafs

Vegas - Super team scam antics , don't like that

Then there's team rivalries like Ottawa, and Montreal but those teams suck so its not as heated

Drift

Jan 9, 2012

This sums it up pretty well for Boston ha.

I used to hate the Habs. But it has fallen off so much, its still there but not as much.

Its mainly fans and specific events (crushing loses, injuries, etc)

Oh and during my childhood I HATED watching the Devils. They would score a goal and then play the most boring, soul crushingly boring hockey I had ever seen.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Team's social media run by shitstain kids who decide injecting their political/social opinions into the team's social media presence more and more every year.

And through that, the ownership/management that allows that to happen, or to further that in game or pregame involvement that can be viewed as divisive.

Sorry LA Kings, I don't give a damn what your "team" thinks about the police, white men playing hockey, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad