Value of: What is the "plus"? Kempe Danault Byfield Durzi (plus?) for Matthews (plus?)

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Far from certain. Makes sense though. Just as likely he stays in TOR.
However, in the likely event he does want to leave, TOR will have to trade him to the team he wants to go to for what they can get, not what they wish they could get.
You are assume it is only 1 team he wants to go too. It could be any USA team. I personally think he will stay in Toronto

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Toronto has a lot more leverage here that most are willing to acknowledge. For his next contract, getting that 8th year is huge for him and the amount of salary we will earn in his career.
Toronto can offer more than anyone else. A full 8th year is money he would be hard pressed to recoup when up for his next one I after this at age 33.
If he flat out says he doesn’t want to re-sign here but would accept a trade to some team he would sign with, I’m sure they would work with him. But if they offers are lacklustre, it wouldn’t be a bad idea either to keep him for the year and have one more good kick at the can. All the while still trying to negotiate knowing their leverage has actually increased now that he could only get a 7 year as a Ufa.

Why would he leave to go to a team that only might be just as good but probably not. Make less salary, less endorsements, and less other benefits, basically having the keys to the city in Toronto.

Toronto is still driving the bus here to re-sign Matthews. It even if a trade is explored, they will get a tidy sum for him.

Toronto isn’t worried either way. It will just make signing McDavid a sure deal rather than a hard, cap-crunching maybe.
A little behind I see. McDavid has already said the Oilers jersey is the last one he ever wants to put on. It's also funny you never mention the 8 years he can get with the Oilers.

Truth be told I would consider trading McDavid for the right package. Elite goalie top pairing RD and a defensive 2C plus some picks. Campbell would be included in said trade.

Kane Draisaitl Hyman
RNH XXX New RW
Foegele Bjugstad Holloway
XXX Mcleod XXX

Nurse XXX
Bouchard Ekholm
Broberg Broberg

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Imo in term of value x contract, Kempe Danault for Matthew work strait out.

Is this happening? no

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I feel like this board has lost it's collective mind.

Kempe + Danault for Auston Matthews. Mother Mary and Joseph, save me.
What sort of value do you think a guy with 1 year left to unrestricted free agency has?

Landing two solid players with 3-4 years of term left at a combined lower salary than Matthews would be a huge win for Toronto. It's the middle ground between losing Gaudreau for nothing and panic extending the soon to be UFAs coming your way with the Tkachuk deal.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Who says we would want to pay that for the impending UFA who wants to come here anyway?
What was it you paid for Tavares?
Durzi works.
Outside of speculation, where did anyone say he wants to go to LA?

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
Outside of speculation, where did anyone say he wants to go to LA?
The OP said it! lol. Was it based on credible evidence?

I think it would be hard for ANY team to absorb AM's next contract demand, so i wouldnt trade for it, even if he is a franchise talent.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
1682473741654.jpeg

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Imagine Edmonton paying something like holloway+broberg+1st+1st+campbell for 1 year of 50% retained matthews and gio

McDavid - Matthews - Draisaitl

EA sports babaaaay

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Toronto has a lot more leverage here that most are willing to acknowledge. For his next contract, getting that 8th year is huge for him and the amount of salary we will earn in his career.
Toronto can offer more than anyone else. A full 8th year is money he would be hard pressed to recoup when up for his next one I after this at age 33.
If he flat out says he doesn’t want to re-sign here but would accept a trade to some team he would sign with, I’m sure they would work with him. But if they offers are lacklustre, it wouldn’t be a bad idea either to keep him for the year and have one more good kick at the can. All the while still trying to negotiate knowing their leverage has actually increased now that he could only get a 7 year as a Ufa.

Why would he leave to go to a team that only might be just as good but probably not. Make less salary, less endorsements, and less other benefits, basically having the keys to the city in Toronto.

Toronto is still driving the bus here to re-sign Matthews. It even if a trade is explored, they will get a tidy sum for him.

Toronto isn’t worried either way. It will just make signing McDavid a sure deal rather than a hard, cap-crunching maybe.
It's a lot more likely that Matthews leaves Toronto than it is McDavid leaves Edmonton.

• Haha
Reactions: Ragdoll and Morbo

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
What sort of value do you think a guy with 1 year left to unrestricted free agency has?

Landing two solid players with 3-4 years of term left at a combined lower salary than Matthews would be a huge win for Toronto. It's the middle ground between losing Gaudreau for nothing and panic extending the soon to be UFAs coming your way with the Tkachuk deal.
Leafs would just take another shot with a top 3-5 team at a cup vs trading him for that trash ass deal. At least if they keep him they have a shot, if they made that deal they'd be the Kings. I'd rather trade him to the Ducks or Sharks just bc of how trash that deal is. He is better than Kopitar ever was.

If Matthews is ever being moved he's going to the highest bidder, he can pick his location in UFA.

It's a lot more likely that Matthews leaves Toronto than it is McDavid leaves Edmonton.
Some of you Oilers fans really have no idea what you're in for in 3 years lmfao. This false hope is Cavs w Lebron worthy.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Some of you Oilers fans really have no idea what you're in for in 3 years lmfao. This false hope is Cavs w Lebron worthy.
What are we in for exactly?

Let me guess, McDavid is going to be a Leaf at that time?

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
What are we in for exactly?

Let me guess, McDavid is going to be a Leaf at that time?
Like I said, I'm all for this false hope that Oiler fans have regarding McDavid re-signing. It'll make it that much more funnier.

In 3 years time, 1/2 of your fanbase will become Leaf fans yes.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Like I said, I'm all for this false hope that Oiler fans have regarding McDavid re-signing. It'll make it that much more funnier.

In 3 years time, 1/2 of your fanbase will become Leaf fans yes.
Can you layout some reasons as to why you're very confident that McDavid is going to sign with the Leafs in a few years?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Great, when we get any information that this is the case then it might be relevant.
Why would Toronto trade him then if he's so easy to re sign?

These threads involving extensions make 0 sense. They almost never happen outside of HF fantasy land

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
For this trade to happen

From Toronto's side- Matthews makes it known prior to July 1 that he is not re-signing. Leafs must then evaluate any trade against the value of him in blue and white for one more "contention" year, vs. the long term value of a trade return. Extra leverage point- pre-negotiated trade and sign to up the value

From the LA side- one guaranteed year of Matthews sets a value floor, the weigh the leverage of waiting to UFA and gambling vs. surety and locking those extra years. Would need to send cap back

Value points-
Even as a pure one year rental you're looking at a multiple 1st/ A Prospect/ A- Prospect package, with other less pieces

With term
Tkachuk deal - 1st line forward and top 3 dman
the Eichel deal is the most recent trade comp- restricted market, lesser player, health concerns. Top 6 power forward, top prospect, 1st, 2nd

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Trading Kempe, Danault, and Byfield for Matthews, who is signed for only one year and would take up 15-20% of LA's cap if re-signed, just doesn't seem like a good idea. If LA can sign him in free agency, then you're obviously hoping you can have Matthews, Kopitar, and Danault down the middle.

As an aside, Kempe scored more goals than Matthews this season.

Reactions: JKG33

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
as a leafs fan IF Matthews wants out. And he considers LA.

I think that is too much. I think LA would get retained sa”-ray (Matty makes league min on July 2) from a cheap team like Arizona.

Matthews at 50% for

1.) iafallo, vilardi,Clarke or byfield
2.) kempe or Anderson kaliev or something?

I don’t know enough about the kings players but basically.
You want something. But it wont be over the moon asking

If it is a legit value player (kempe/Anderson) I don’t think you are getting a blue chip prospect too. Then again. I may be underrating vilardi

And the people who think they would just wait to sign Matthews are out to lunch. If they decide to part ways. You really think he would sign somewhere after a year when he knew he was available and you don’t make a trade.

Matthews by waiting to UFA gives up a year.
uhh no.

try all your firsts plus all your prospects and we still dont do it cause matthews means everything to this franchise

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Trading Kempe, Danault, and Byfield for Matthews, who is signed for only one year and would take up 15-20% of LA's cap if re-signed, just doesn't seem like a good idea. If LA can sign him in free agency, then you're obviously hoping you can have Matthews, Kopitar, and Danault down the middle.

As an aside, Kempe scored more goals than Matthews this season.
One of the most underrated players in the league imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad