Value of: What is the "plus"? Kempe Danault Byfield Durzi (plus?) for Matthews (plus?)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If Matthews wants to be in LA then Toronto has 0 leverage. Sign and trades rarely happen anymore, and when they do the price isn't much more than a rental.

So no, Matthews ain't getting 4 roster players in return. And I'm a fan of both teams here. Byfield and Durzi is low, but its closer than the OP's package

While i agree that the OP is asking too much. There is no way Toronto has no leverage.

IF in a hypothetical world Matthews wants to go to LA this summer.

1.) LA says nah we are good til you are UFA….. Matty loses a year of gauranteed contract and it’s s heck of a risk to let him go for a year and consider options.

2.) a lot can change in a year. Brodie had the leafs on his NTC and signed in Toronto that year because he knew Toronto tried to get him. Kadri refused a trade to the flames then signed.

Tavares and gaudreau both wanted to sign

If Matthews is up and wants to go to your team. You make the deal

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
While i agree that the OP is asking too much. There is no way Toronto has no leverage.

1.) LA says nah we are good til you are UFA….. Matty loses a year of gauranteed contract and it’s s heck of a risk to let him go for a year and consider options.

2.) a lot can change in a year. Brodie had the leafs on his NTC and signed in Toronto that year because he knew Toronto tried to get him. Kadri refused a trade to the flames then signed.

No, you don't. The difference between Matthews and Kempe isn't three roster players. Especially when Matthews will cost almost 3x as much as Kempe for maybe 10 more goals

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No, you don't. The difference between Matthews and Kempe isn't three roster players. Especially when Matthews will cost almost 3x as much as Kempe for maybe 10 more goals

I meant you don’t risk him still wanting to sign with you a year later when he knows you didn’t trade for him.

I already said the OP deal was way too much (as a leafs fan I think that’s pretty nutty to ask for)

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
fair EA sports proposal.
As a kings fan if this came with a contract extension I probably do it. Even at his highest ceiling QB does not = Mathews, and there is far from a guarantee he hits it.
LA down the middle of Mathews, Kopitar, Danault...yes please.

We don’t want your junk
Closest thing to junk here is Durzi, and he is a very serviceable PP QB. He makes no sense in LA with Doughty, Clarke and Spence.

Reactions: violaswallet

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
The idea is basically that the Leafs might be desperate to avoid a Tavares Islanders / Gaudreau Flames situation, where their superstar walks away for nothing. So they tell him the summer before he is a UFA that he needs to sign an extension or else he's being traded. Leafs can try to trade him where he prefers to go with an extension, but ultimately it's a "traded or extended" scenario where they leave no possibility of losing Matthews for nothing.
Just remember he has a full no move clause kicking in July 1st as well so its actually trade him where he wants to go, extend him or lose him for nothing next off season.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Tkachuk situation only worked because he was an RFA. Don’t see a team paying much more than a rental rate for UFA rights.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Zero chance LA does the OP. Can't see them trading a boatload for a pending UFA. If Matthews is interested in LA the Kings can target him in free agency.

They certainly aren't moving Byfield either. Kempe is too good a value contract for what he provides. Kopitar comes off the books same time Matthews is UFA. If LA wants to keep Kopitar they can trade Danault for a decent return and use the cap moving his 5.5m to sign Kopitar. Walker will be off the books, Iafallo moved and Petersen bought out of his last year. Kings could afford to sign Matthews and re-up Kopitar if they want.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Kings did pretty well this year and look like they are improving. i don’t think Matthews and his monster contract at the cost of all those players improves the Kings. If he gets to FA offer him what makes sense. If He wants to be somewhere else I don’t think it’s any skin off the Kings ass.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012

You think Matthews is signing an 8 year contract somewhere? Didn’t do it last time, doubt he does it this time. Matthews is all about the money.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Is matthews not re signing?

I would be good with that package.. but.. just to ask can i have spence instead of durzi?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Zero chance LA does the OP. Can't see them trading a boatload for a pending UFA. If Matthews is interested in LA the Kings can target him in free agency.

They certainly aren't moving Byfield either. Kempe is too good a value contract for what he provides. Kopitar comes off the books same time Matthews is UFA. If LA wants to keep Kopitar they can trade Danault for a decent return and use the cap moving his 5.5m to sign Kopitar. Walker will be off the books, Iafallo moved and Petersen bought out of his last year. Kings could afford to sign Matthews and re-up Kopitar if they want.
don't even need to move Danault to do it IMO

I would be good with that package.. but.. just to ask can i have spence instead of durzi?
no

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
don't even need to move Danault to do it IMO

no

Speaking more from a cap allocation and dependant on what cap moves happen this off season. If Matthews is your 1C and you bring back Kopitar as 2C and have Byfield also in the mix long term I could see it happening. Not saying it would have too.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I just don't get it from Toronto's POV. Byfield is the wildcard in this and I don't think I take that risk on a franchise altering move.

Durzi wouldn't have a spot, Danault is loveable but I'd rather just sign ROR to an extension. Kempe is good.

I'd probably want Clarke in any package for Matthews with an extension.

Reactions: Macheteops

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
This is an EA sports trade, there is no way this many big pieces get traded. TOR is basically ride or die with Matthews at this point, he either re-signs or he doesn't, there is no trade. In the crazy world where this trade does somehow happen, I don't get people laughing about having to add to Matthews. I get that the Pacific is slept on, but that's an overpayment as currently constructed.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I just don't get it from Toronto's POV. Byfield is the wildcard in this and I don't think I take that risk on a franchise altering move.

Durzi wouldn't have a spot, Danault is loveable but I'd rather just sign ROR to an extension. Kempe is good.

I'd probably want Clarke in any package for Matthews with an extension.
Holl and Schenn being UFA opens up two RHD spots. Liljegren takes one, Durzi the other.

I can get behind the rest of your post though

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Holl and Schenn being UFA opens up two RHD spots. Liljegren takes one, Durzi the other.

I can get behind the rest of your post though
We already have 1 defenceman we need to shelter in Mo, I don't think we can afford another one.

I hope Schenn re-signs for another year.

Reactions: TS Quint

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
We already have 1 defenceman we need to shelter in Mo, I don't think we can afford another one.

I hope Schenn re-signs for another year.
Durzi is far from a defensive gem, but he has come a long way this year. I was a big Durzi hater and want LA to deal him last off season as I thought after his playoff performance with how banged up the kings d was it was a good time to sell high. Now I want to deal him to make room for Spence and/or Clarke, not because he is a liability.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Durzi is far from a defensive gem, but he has come a long way this year. I was a big Durzi hater and want LA to deal him last off season as I thought after his playoff performance with how banged up the kings d was it was a good time to sell high. Now I want to deal him to make room for Spence and/or Clarke, not because he is a liability.
Even if I accept this, which I am weary of, he would be at best a 5-6 on a good team, no? I mean LA has a strong but not elite d-corp and he's a 7. I just am not sure that piece moves the needle very much when trading a top C in the game. In a separate smaller deal, maybe.

Byfield would be big gamble from both sides. If it works out from Toronto, you've got a cost controlled beast of a man at C for a long time. If not, you've traded away one of the best players in your org's history for a good young forward, Danault, Kempe and a player who may be a scratch with a healthy line up.

It's better than letting AM walk, but I imagine someone out there would offer a surefire young player with less uncertainty than Byfield.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
again I don’t think you would get any where near that haul.

How do LA fans rank their assets

Potential players that could add for salary
-iaffallo. Arvidsson. Roy

Legit peices (might be 1 for 1 with prospect add)
Anderson/kempe.

Prospects:
Vilardi. Byfield. Clarke. Kaliev spence.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

Yeah no, the trade at all is not happening.
Spence or Durzi is not the issue here

The Kings have nothing to offer that would interest Toronto and if Matthews is not coming as an UFA, he is not supposed to be here anyways.

You could counter offer if you are really interested.
Basic conditions would be Kempe, Byfield, Villardi and Clarke off the table.

again I don’t think you would get any where near that haul.

How do LA fans rank their assets

Potential players that could add for salary
-iaffallo. Arvidsson. Roy

Legit peices (might be 1 for 1 with prospect add)
Anderson/kempe.

Prospects:
Vilardi. Byfield. Clarke. Kaliev spence.
The players you mentioned are not on the table for a rental

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad