Value of: What is the "plus"? Kempe Danault Byfield Durzi (plus?) for Matthews (plus?)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Theres a decent chance he signs in LA in 2 offseasons, so they should wait and add him for free

Nobody would ever do that… you don’t just hope a player that caliber comes for free

Too much can change

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I like what LA is doing. Lose the new toy sparkle in your eye, vegas has illustrated that doesn’t work out too well.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Kempe and Danault are excellent players with that being said durzi defensively sucks, and Byfield is a disappointment. There's no chance the leafs trade Matthews for that package.

• Haha
Reactions: KingsOfThe805

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I just can't believe Dubas signed a contract whereby the same day he can negotiate an extension is the day Matthews has a no movement clause kick in. 😳 Not good for the Leafs. Do they dare not trade him before July 1 ?

ALine

May 14, 2012
Toronto has a lot more leverage here that most are willing to acknowledge. For his next contract, getting that 8th year is huge for him and the amount of salary we will earn in his career.
Toronto can offer more than anyone else. A full 8th year is money he would be hard pressed to recoup when up for his next one I after this at age 33.
If he flat out says he doesn’t want to re-sign here but would accept a trade to some team he would sign with, I’m sure they would work with him. But if they offers are lacklustre, it wouldn’t be a bad idea either to keep him for the year and have one more good kick at the can. All the while still trying to negotiate knowing their leverage has actually increased now that he could only get a 7 year as a Ufa.

Why would he leave to go to a team that only might be just as good but probably not. Make less salary, less endorsements, and less other benefits, basically having the keys to the city in Toronto.

Toronto is still driving the bus here to re-sign Matthews. It even if a trade is explored, they will get a tidy sum for him.

Toronto isn’t worried either way. It will just make signing McDavid a sure deal rather than a hard, cap-crunching maybe.

bettercallholl

Apr 23, 2023
Matthews UFA talk exists because Leaf fans are obsessed with trading UFAs before they can walk and because every other team's fans have wanted to see it as revenge for the Leafs finally getting a local guy in Tavares, which is why the talk is so often Arizona instead of the Blackhawks, Rangers, Panthers, Stars, Kraken, or any number of other attractive situations. But let's indulge this. The idea that Los Angeles should just wait and offer nothing, and that the Leafs have no leverage, is just insane. No player is a permanent asset. You're buying years from a player. The leverage exists because the Leafs and the Kings would both like to win the Stanley Cup in 2024, and taking another shot at that with Matthews is probably more valuable to the Leafs than a bunch of lottery tickets.

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
Why on earth would the Kings trade for Matthews when they can sign him for free next summer and have the cap space with Kopitar and Arvidsson coming off the books.

Reactions: go4hockey

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Why on earth would the Kings trade for Matthews when they can sign him for free next summer and have the cap space with Kopitar and Arvidsson coming off the books.
Because you won't get him for free. He's either extended, or dealt to a team who has an extention in place. It's nice to dream but reality is a thing.

Also any hypothetical matthews trade will involve atleast 4 to 5 teams he's willing to go to. Teams like the ducks have way better futures then LA.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
We would do that.

If he signs somewhere else, he never wanted to be here.
That easy

That’s not true at all?
If a player expresses interest in your team and you don’t tr…. They lose interest

Pretty simple

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
Because you won't get him for free. He's either extended, or dealt to a team who has an extention in place. It's nice to dream but reality is a thing.

Also any hypothetical matthews trade will involve atleast 4 to 5 teams he's willing to go to. Teams like the ducks have way better futures then LA.
no chance Matthews is traded 0%.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
We don’t want your junk
Kempe scored just as many goals as Matthews (also scored 35 the year before). Not to mention Danault is a big reason why Mcdavid hasn't scored an even strength goal.

It's not like we offered a replacement for Simmonds.

Don't think any trade would be fair for either side but stop with the stupid, typical "junk" remarks.

Reactions: KingTech

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
This is a July 1st trade, meaning that Matthews is eligible to sign a long term extension as part of the trade, in the same way that Matthew Tkachuk did in the Florida Calgary blockbuster.

Auston Matthews --- $11.6403m until 2024 (with long-term extension)
PLUS ---> picks? prospects? both? neither?

for

Adrian Kempe --- $5.5m until 2026
Phillip Danault --- $5.5m until 2027
Quinton Byfield --- $0.8942m until 2024 (then RFA)
Sean Durzi --- $1.7m until 2024 (then RFA)
TOTAL CAP = $13.5942m
PLUS ---> picks? prospects? both? neither?

So, what are the Kings (or Leafs) adding here to make this a fair deal?
A lot? A little? Nothing? You tell me. I don't claim to know the answer.

NOTE - I considered possibly using Fiala instead of Kempe, thinking that maybe Leafs fans would want a guy locked up until 2029 more than a guy locked up until 2026. I decided against it, but by all means you could do the trade that way. It might be too much cap going back to Toronto though, without them moving somebody else out. Structuring it with Kempe seemed easier to do.

EDIT - I edited this offer to add in the possibility of the Leafs adding, instead of just the Kings being the ones adding.
Kings aren't trading for Matthews. It would be so costly that they would have Matthews and not much else.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Kempe scored just as many goals as Matthews (also scored 35 the year before). Not to mention Danault is a big reason why Mcdavid hasn't scored an even strength goal.

It's not like we offered a replacement for Simmonds.

Don't think any trade would be fair for either side but stop with the stupid, typical "junk" remarks.
Kempe and Danault are very good players but Danault is to old to be in a Matthews trade. Kempe would be a legit piece though along with Clarke . Byfield currently holds little to no value to the leafs until he atleast puts together an average season.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Is the rumor that Matthews moves in '24 based on anything else than that he is UFA? Yeah surely he wants to help Arizona Coyotes with tanking for the rest of his career.. He will re-sign just like 90% of star players.

Reactions: Guitpik

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
No there is zero chance the Leafs let him walk, there's a very small chance he is traded.
Leafs will let him walk because that is what every team does...Isles with Tavares...Flames with Gaudreau.....you keep Matthews and and go try and win the cup...then when he walks you replace that money with another ufa.

Reactions: TS Quint

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Leafs will let him walk because that is what every team does...Isles with Tavares...Flames with Gaudreau.....you keep Matthews and and go try and win the cup...then when he walks you replace that money with another ufa.
LOL your projecting what you hope happens. I know this because you left out another current example in Tkachuk. If Matthews isn't signed a few days before the 1st the Leafs will move him, Just as the Flames moved Tkachuk.

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
LOL your projecting what you hope happens. I know this because you left out another current example in Tkachuk. If Matthews isn't signed a few days before the 1st the Leafs will move him, Just as the Flames moved Tkachuk.
no they won't no chance....LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad