Speculation: What happens with Tarasenko now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I am being objective. Everyone except some Blues fans realize that his shoulders have been through, what, 3 surgeries? And in a flat cap world his value is at an all-time low. It's called common sense.

Take care.

No you are playing one side wanting him for nothing or with negative value lol.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
He's still my top choice for the Isles, ahead of Landeskog. Especially if we can send back Uncle Leo's last year at $3M($2M in actual dollars). I really would love to see what Barzal could do with a goal-scorer of his caliber. Just curious as to what the price would be beyond that - with STL taking on that contract from us.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I don't want him. The Rangers are set on the wings. If there's someone I'd want from St.Louis it's RoR.
And he isnt available. Besides army just had press conference. He won't be taking salary for tank, he won't be making hockey trades for tank. If nothing materializes that benefits the organization and fans then tarasenko will dress for the season.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
And he isnt available. Besides army just had press conference. He won't be taking salary for tank, he won't be making hockey trades for tank. If nothing materializes that benefits the organization and fans then tarasenko will dress for the season.
Yeah I know. Hence my "IF"...

Okay.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
He's still my top choice for the Isles, ahead of Landeskog. Especially if we can send back Uncle Leo's last year at $3M($2M in actual dollars). I really would love to see what Barzal could do with a goal-scorer of his caliber. Just curious as to what the price would be beyond that - with STL taking on that contract from us.

There is no price. Armstrong just said he isn't making bad deals to.move him uncle Leo is a bad deal. So unless army gets value and not dead cap or contracts coming back tarasenko will dress for the Blues in training camp.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
It's not that no one wanted him, it's that he didn't receive an offer that he liked, that was best for our future. Either Army is fine bringing him back, or this is posturing, telling other GMs that we aren't as vulnerable as they previously thought.
I think Armstrong leaving him unprotected and saying a trade couldn’t be made tells
us he has no or negative value. He was ok with getting nothing for him in the draft.. if he doesn’t move soon that means he has negative value imo.

Reactions: kinghock

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I think Armstrong leaving him unprotected and saying a trade couldn’t be made tells
us he has no or negative value. He was ok with getting nothing for him in the draft.. if he doesn’t move soon that means he has negative value imo.

A trade obviously couldn't be made without taking back cap, thats the thing

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I was wondering out loud in the thread on the Blues board on this topic if the situation would get to a point where a mutual termination would be permitted. Would that be permitted and when given that we are still in the buyout window? Would the player have enough confidence in himself to walk away from $15M now believing that he could make that and more if allowed to negotiate directly with other teams? Would anyone be willing to pay him $5M a year for a year or two if they could sign him as a UFA?

StlBill

Jul 1, 2018
I think a lot more options open up for a trade now that the expansion draft is over. It was tricky for a lot of teams to make a move for him and then have to play their cards right protecting the rest of their roster. I think he’s shipped out East by the start of the draft tomorrow...

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Voracek is significantly better than Landeskog? How so?

I personally wouldn't say that, but Voracek is the best player on his line. Landy is the third wheel. So people comparing numbers straight up need to make that adjustment. I personally would think of they each had 2 average top 6 linemates, that Voracek would perform better. Of course age comes into play though.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
I am being objective. Everyone except some Blues fans realize that his shoulders have been through, what, 3 surgeries? And in a flat cap world his value is at an all-time low. It's called common sense.

Take care.

Yep. Colt is trying to get value as if he puts up a PPG pace. If he actually does that, then he will have positive value. But nobody is going to pay for a PPG player when he has been hurt for as long as he has.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Or lack of cap space for teams in a flat cap.

Blues have plenty of cap to retain.

The problem is exactly your point. The Blues (and you) want value like he is a PPG player. The league views him as a severely damage asset that if healthy may give you .6-.75 ppg, but there is a good chance at a total goose egg.

If you want more value then he needs to play, and then play well.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Feel for the guy. Played through a bad injury, had botched surgeries - and now he is the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: LGBlues

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I was wondering out loud in the thread on the Blues board on this topic if the situation would get to a point where a mutual termination would be permitted. Would that be permitted and when given that we are still in the buyout window? Would the player have enough confidence in himself to walk away from $15M now believing that he could make that and more if allowed to negotiate directly with other teams? Would anyone be willing to pay him $5M a year for a year or two if they could sign him as a UFA?
He'd have to have a deal in place in Russia which is worth more.
edit: disregard earlier trade proposal template which was in my message above the quote

Last edited:

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Blues have plenty of cap to retain.

The problem is exactly your point. The Blues (and you) want value like he is a PPG player. The league views him as a severely damage asset that if healthy may give you .6-.75 ppg, but there is a good chance at a total goose egg.

If you want more value then he needs to play, and then play well.
We understand your talking point. That's why he will start as a blue if Armstrong doesn't tget the value he wants. He just announced that about 40 mins ago

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
I personally wouldn't say that, but Voracek is the best player on his line. Landy is the third wheel. So people comparing numbers straight up need to make that adjustment. I personally would think of they each had 2 average top 6 linemates, that Voracek would perform better. Of course age comes into play though.
They may have similar production but Landeskog is better defensively and more physical. Like you said younger as well.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
A trade obviously couldn't be made without taking back cap, thats the thing
I think that points to him having no or negative trade value. If he was worth the 7.5 cap 9.5 salary Gm’s would be willing to make moves to add him.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I imagine the teams he is willing to waive his no trade for, are most likely, the teams who need salary retained, which Armstrong has show a reluctance to do

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
Or we're in a flat cap world and teams can't just add $7.5m

That's essentially the same thing as "having no value" though

If he produced at a better rate and had no injury history, people would make the room for the salary. And if he made 3 mil, people would probably be interested regardless.

Value takes all things into context. You don't get to separate the player from their contract when determining their value.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Or we're in a flat cap world and teams can't just add $7.5m
I guess that’s why Seattle didn’t take him for free. Hell retain then flip at the deadline. He’s too much of a risk for GMs right now so best to come in next season and show he’s healthy and worth the contract. I see a lot of fellow Blues fans in denial right now.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I guess that’s why Seattle didn’t take him for free. Hell retain then flip at the deadline. He’s too much of a risk for GMs right now so best to come in next season and show he’s healthy and worth the contract. I see a lot of fellow Blues fans in denial right now.

He wasn't free, Seattle took a different player, if they wanted Tarasenko it would have come at the cost of not selecting Vince Dunn. The only conclusion you can draw from the expansion draft is that Tarasenko's value is less than Vince Dunn's value (at least to Seattle).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad