Line Combos: What happens when Lars comes back?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Microsens

Jul 18, 2014
Galchenyuk will be back to the wing before the end of next game. Mark my words. #firemt

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
When Eller comes back, he becomes a top-6 center, and Bournival, Andrighetto and Weise fight for one spot on the third line and one spot on the fourth line.

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Eller-Sekac
Andrighetto/Bournival-Desharnais-Parenteau
Prust-Malholtra-Weise/Bournival
Bournival/Andrighetto/Weise

this! eller should be finally tried as a top 6 forward with two good linemates and pp time. we have to find out what his ceiling really is. galchenyuk will be 1st line center, no doubt about it and the question is whether eller can be legitimate #2.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Common sense should indicate that DD is the odd one out.

*Failed as the go-to offensive C, Galchenyuk should be allowed to develop in that role.

*Can't handle heavy defensive minutes like Eller or Pleks

*Doesn't shoot enough to play wing.

Only thing I think you could do with him is to use him as a playmaker on the 4th line, similar to Briere was in playoffs last year, but at $3.5mil...

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Comes down to who you want as a 3rd line centre...

Eller's a prototypical 3rd line centre with size, speed, strength, 2way play, possession play. He can play with anyone, doesn't expect any PP time, and will play tough defensive minutes. He'll win important faceoffs and step it up in the playoffs.

DD can play centre an exploitation 3rd line, while receiving heavy offensive faceoffs and playing on the PP... can't rely on him defensively, which means the top 2 lines have to share the burden of tough minutes.

Obviously, the logical answer is to have Eller centre the 3rd line and play the toughest role as he's been doing all season long.

The biggest question is whether DD can play wing of if he needs to be shipped.

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006

Eller's a prototypical 3rd line centre with size, speed, strength, 2way play, possession play. He can play with anyone, doesn't expect any PP time, and will play tough defensive minutes. He'll win important faceoffs and step it up in the playoffs.

DD can play centre an exploitation 3rd line, while receiving heavy offensive faceoffs and playing on the PP... can't rely on him defensively, which means the top 2 lines have to share the burden of tough minutes.

Obviously, the logical answer is to have Eller centre the 3rd line and play the toughest role as he's been doing all season long.

Well, if by that, you mean that he has accepted that Therrien will never give him a chance, then yes, you're probably right.

That being said, I'm sure Eller thinks he can be a top 6 player and deserves more time on the PP.

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
What should happen : Desharnais on the wing or traded/waived.
What will happen : Galchenyuk back on the wing and DD with Pacioretty.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

With Gallagher already on the team and Andrighetto and Hudon in the pipeline doing well, the Canadiens shouldn't waste too much time investing in an older 5'6 centre anymore. When Eller comes back, DD should move to the wing or MB needs to look for a trade.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
With Gallagher already on the team and Andrighetto and Hudon in the pipeline doing well, the Canadiens shouldn't waste too much time investing in an older 5'6 centre anymore. When Eller comes back, DD should move to the wing or MB needs to look for a trade.

That's the logical solution. Let's hope that's what MT / MB decide.

Galchenyuk Plekanec Eller down the middle will be dynamite.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Here's Enrico Ciccone talking about Desharnais. He's saying he's on the trade block.

http://www.tvasports.ca/2014/12/10/cicco-repond--desharnais-sur-le-marche

Here's Pierre McGuire today on Desharnais saying that the contract was a mistake.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/mcguire-habs-leadership-core-was-fantastic-last-night-1.156789

Mood in the media is Desharnais needs to be moved to make room for Eller.

Common sense...

Exactly.....The third line is the stepping stone for our young prospect 95% of the time and considering that our top prospect are all under 5'11" (Hudon, Andrighetto, Thomas), it might be a good idea to hold on to the 6'2" center with defensive and physical skills than the 5'7" who is a danger in his own zone.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
That's the logical solution. Let's hope that's what MT / MB decide.

Galchenyuk Plekanec Eller down the middle will be dynamite.

Are we ready to be this big down the middle?
No sure if the center ice of the Bell center will be able to hold this much:laugh:

But i agree.....

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
You are sadly more than likely right. DD will play a good game (he has to) and MT will put him back on the first line.

That's going to go down well...:laugh:

simpsons-pitchforks.jpg

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Emelin #7? Seriously?

Yes, seriously, and I might even dress all 7 and run with 11 forwards on occasion. Crazy, right? I'm not a huge fan of what Emelin brings for his price, or how often he's having to make diving, desperation plays to stop average players. He's my odd man out (except against "physical opponents", maybe) in a scenario where I'm trying to get both Beaulieu and Tinordi up to speed, because the other vets (Subban, Markov, Gonchar, and even Gilbert, with the right partner) simply play "better" hockey than him right now. He'd be ahead of Weaver, though (who I've never been a big fan of), and Allen, obviously.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Try DD on the LW next to Eller. Eller is more of a finisher than a playmaker anyway. he might do well between DD and Parenteau...

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
Common sense...

Exactly.....The third line is the stepping stone for our young prospect 95% of the time and considering that our top prospect are all under 5'11" (Hudon, Andrighetto, Thomas), it might be a good idea to hold on to the 6'2" center with defensive and physical skills than the 5'7" who is a danger in his own zone.

Thomas really isn't a top prospect. It would be a surprise if he makes it to the nhl.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
If you're hitting people, it means you dont have the puck, so thats not an all postitive stat.

That is a true statement that you made. And I agree with you.

However, during the game, there are changes of possession, regardless of how good a team is with keeping possession. One of the best ways to regain possession is to knock a player off of the puck.

Hitting can help regain possession and can cause a little physical discomfort for the forwards on the other team as well.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Common sense...

I agree with you here.

Eller is a keeper. No discussion should involve moving Eller off of this team or minimize his role on this team. He is definitely the best option at 3rd line Center.

The size issue rears its ugly head once again in Montreal. Andrighetto has shown that he is has offensive potential. However, watching him play, he is a one dimensional player in the mold of DD. He is not physical and tends to avoid contact. But he does have a sweet shot.

Bergevin has a problem on his hands. Chucky appears ready for his role as Center. Pleks and Eller will be the Centers on the other two lines. That leaves him with DD potentially on the wing.....not a great idea.....and/or Andrighetto on the wing......again not a great idea since he is undersized and one dimensional like DD.

I hope he has some trade plans lined up for the next couple of weeks.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
The size issue rears its ugly head once again in Montreal. Andrighetto has shown that he is has offensive potential. However, watching him play, he is a one dimensional player in the mold of DD. He is not physical and tends to avoid contact. But he does have a sweet shot.

.....and/or Andrighetto on the wing......again not a great idea since he is undersized and one dimensional like DD.

On how many games do you base your opinion of Andrighetto

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Yes, seriously, and I might even dress all 7 and run with 11 forwards on occasion. Crazy, right? I'm not a huge fan of what Emelin brings for his price, or how often he's having to make diving, desperation plays to stop average players. He's my odd man out (except against "physical opponents", maybe) in a scenario where I'm trying to get both Beaulieu and Tinordi up to speed, because the other vets (Subban, Markov, Gonchar, and even Gilbert, with the right partner) simply play "better" hockey than him right now. He'd be ahead of Weaver, though (who I've never been a big fan of), and Allen, obviously.

Weaver, Gonchar and Allen are nothing more than spare parts on this team. Neither of those should be on the roster next season.

I believe that it would be a mistake to ice a team with DMen who are all similar in what they excel at. You will lose with a team full of PMD. Conversely, you will lose with a team full of stay at home DMen.

We have three stay at home DMen on the Habs. Emelin, Allen and Tinordi (I would include Weaver here but he is too damn small to clear the crease). Removing Emelin from the lineup would be a bad mistake, even if Tinordi were in the lineup playing every game.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Tony Marinaro ‏@TonyMarinaro 26m26 minutes ago
NormandFlynn: ''If Galchenyuk keeps this up once Eller returns theres no more room 4Desharnais. No market but maybe Florida would want him''

Seems like everyone is bracing themselves for the inevitable.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
On how many games do you base your opinion of Andrighetto

Number of games is irrelevant. Andrighetto is an undersized forward who does not have the grit of Gallagher.

DD was a darling in Montreal at the beginning of his career. And we have seen what happened to him here since. Easily knocked off the puck, losing board battles etc and so on.

Imagine David Desharnais with his passing skills, his effort and his skill at faceoffs while being 6' 2", 205 pounds.

The same holds true for Andrighetto. He will put up points. He will lose battles in the OZone and the DZone.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Tony Marinaro ‏@TonyMarinaro 26m26 minutes ago
NormandFlynn: ''If Galchenyuk keeps this up once Eller returns theres no more room 4Desharnais. No market but maybe Florida would want him''

Seems like everyone is bracing themselves for the inevitable.

On the countless DD threads, I warned that the constant bashing of DD would result in none of the other GMs wanting him since they read all the posts here.

:sarcasm:;)

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Thomas really isn't a top prospect. It would be a surprise if he makes it to the nhl.

Granted, lol (not a top prospect by a long shot)...but they are the "next in line" if somebody gets called up.

I agree with you here.

Eller is a keeper. No discussion should involve moving Eller off of this team or minimize his role on this team. He is definitely the best option at 3rd line Center.

Bergevin has a problem on his hands. Chucky appears ready for his role as Center. Pleks and Eller will be the Centers on the other two lines. That leaves him with DD potentially on the wing.....not a great idea.....and/or Andrighetto on the wing......again not a great idea since he is undersized and one dimensional like DD.

I expect Andrighetto to slow down and get exposed by his size....normal, first time in the NHL. Still very small. But he deserve a longer look.

The way DD talked about Galchenyuk being the top centre of the future. Talked about getting a new role....which i'm sure won't be a role he would like or be comfortable in.
Sounds like he expect something to happens.....

At one point, maybe it would be best for Desharnais to go help a team like the Panthers rebuilding, regaining playoff status (which he can).....i don't think his career will flourish from now on with the MTL Canadiens and he won't be in a position to use his skills.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Number of games is irrelevant. Andrighetto is an undersized forward who does not have the grit of Gallagher.

DD was a darling in Montreal at the beginning of his career. And we have seen what happened to him here since. Easily knocked off the puck, losing board battles etc and so on.

Imagine David Desharnais with his passing skills, his effort and his skill at faceoffs while being 6' 2", 205 pounds.

The same holds true for Andrighetto. He will put up points. He will lose battles in the OZone and the DZone.

Having said all that, the ability to finish is harder to find/replace than the ability to win a few more board battles. Put a bunch of pluggers out there instead of skill and you get hockey that looks like a U-8 soccer game, with the winner being whoever manages to bumble a puck over the line before the final whistle. The wing is the one spot where smaller players can still thrive in the NHL, and I'm hoping that's where Andrighetto stays. Less grit than Gallagher, but more skills with the puck. Don't know why you even bother to bring DD - an undersized and poorly utilized centre - into the comparison. He's less physically suited for such things while being responsible for a WHOLE lot more of the ice surface.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad