What do you think of Yzerman these days?

How do you feel about Yzerman as a GM these days (and going forward)?

• Star GM, I think he'll build a contender, guaranteed

Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Great GM, I can't ask for more, just be patient

Votes: 44 27.0%
  • Good GM, I don't always like his decisions, but I still think the strategy makes sense

Votes: 47 28.8%
  • Okay GM, I'm worried about some aspects of our strategy, could be worse

Votes: 36 22.1%
  • Bad GM, I think he has some fatal flaws that probably will prevent this team from contending

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • Terrible GM, fire him

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Prepare you guys still to wait for the next 3 weeks.

"The 2024-25 Red Wings hit the ice for the first time for Training Camp on the morning of Thursday, Sept. 19, and continue daily through Sunday, Sept. 22."

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
SY has failed if that happens
I don't think so, it's all about what will happen in couple of years, if this team compete for the cup.
Even if Raymond misses couple of games, it will just open opportunities for others.
Seider is different, without him it's like without Larkin

Reactions: FMichael

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Even if Raymond misses couple of games, it will just open opportunities for others.
Idk, I don't think Raymond or Seider should go in with the attitude of missing camp or matches in what is a very important season for them. Raymond should take a 3-year bridge deal if not happy with long term offer. But, then Yzerman/Detroit management has to be ready for giving him a better deal than expected if he show that top consistency the next 3 years and reward him for it.

Reactions: Realgud and lilidk

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Good for now.

I’m really concerned with some of the draft picks he’s made though. I think it could really blow up in his face how little star talent he’s drafted.

Picks like Kaspar, Cleveland (lol), even Danielson to a lesser extend have me worried.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Good for now.

I’m really concerned with some of the draft picks he’s made though. I think it could really blow up in his face how little star talent he’s drafted.

Picks like Kaspar, Cleveland (lol), even Danielson to a lesser extend have me worried.

I like the competitive identity in our prospects and young players. From Raymond and Seider, to Edvinsson to the next wave of MBN, Kasper and Danielson, he has built a tenacious and feisty group with (imo) underrated talent.

Time will tell how high this identity can fly.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have more of an issue with not signing a guy like Pesce/Roy than the oddness of the Walman trade.

I am pretty concerned our blue line is going to yet again struggle.

If you only had a Plan A for Trouba and no Plan B, that is pretty poor planning.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I have more of an issue with not signing a guy like Pesce/Roy than the oddness of the Walman trade.

I am pretty concerned our blue line is going to yet again struggle.

If you only had a Plan A for Trouba and no Plan B, that is pretty poor planning.
Did you talk to Pesce or Roy about why they didn't sign in Detroit?

Reactions: SoupNazi

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't recall even seeing our name linked with either one.

I had 1 goal for this summer, and that was improve the blue line. Can't say we did that.

I thought there were Roy rumors before free agency opened?

I am with you in wanting to see the blueline overhauled, but I wasn't a fan of a lot of contracts handed out. For all of the complaining about Compher, Chiarot, Copp, etc., I think Roy and Pesce stand good chances at being blueline versions of them. And I think the big appeal to Trouba is that his term was limited and we could get out of the deal in a couple of years.

I can't say Roy or Pesce look to be difference makers in upgrading our blueline to the point of seriously increasing our odds at the playoffs, and I really like not having those contracts on our books for another 5+ years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I thought there were Roy rumors before free agency opened?

I am with you in wanting to see the blueline overhauled, but I wasn't a fan of a lot of contracts handed out. For all of the complaining about Compher, Chiarot, Copp, etc., I think Roy and Pesce stand good chances at being blueline versions of them. And I think the big appeal to Trouba is that his term was limited and we could get out of the deal in a couple of years.

I can't say Roy or Pesce look to be difference makers in upgrading our blueline to the point of seriously increasing our odds at the playoffs, and I really like not having those contracts on our books for another 5+ years.
Guess it depends on what you think is the lesser of 2 evils:

1 ) Run it back with the same group you know isn’t good enlogh

2) Upgrade the group but add another not great contract

For me I prefer #2 to #1.

Unfortunately some of this is also compounded with Yzerman going overboard with the amount of guys he added last off season. There was never a reason to add both Holl and Petry.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I had 1 goal for this summer, and that was improve the blue line. Can't say we did that.

I feel like the D group has improved as a unit.

I think Gustafsson can can fill Gostisbehere role reasonably effectively and Edvinsson should be an upgrade on Walman.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Guess it depends on what you think is the lesser of 2 evils:

1 ) Run it back with the same group you know isn’t good enlogh

2) Upgrade the group but add another not great contract

For me I prefer #2 to #1.

Unfortunately some of this is also compounded with Yzerman going overboard with the amount of guys he added last off season. There was never a reason to add both Holl and Petry.

I don't know, Yzerman was willing to take on Trouba whose cap number was unlikely to be any smaller than the UFAs that were available. I think Yzerman was comfortable making a lot of cap numbers work in the short term.

I am going to keep going back to term, though. I think it is clear that Yzerman wants max flexibility a few years from now when Seider, Raymond, Ed, etc. are the main drivers on this team and we know how guys like Cossa, Kaspar, Danielson, etc. shake out. It might be a bit unfair to the current team, but I don't think it's wrong for the organization.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I feel like the D group has improved as a unit.

I think Gustafsson can can fill Gostisbehere role reasonably effectively and Edvinsson should be an upgrade on Walman.
It depends where they slot guys and how much an opportunity they give to the young guys.

If Edvinsson starts out on the top pair and AlJo gets a legit shot on the middle pair, there’s the potential for some upside. (And what they look like with those opportunities)

If it’s Chiarot on the top pair all year and guys like Maatta or Perry on the middle pair, could be another year of a very not good blue line.

I have a ton of faith in Edvinsson long term. But I do not know what he’s going to be ready for or trusted with this upcoming season. That might be the biggest X factor for how our season goes.

Reactions: SirloinUB

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't think so, it's all about what will happen in couple of years, if this team compete for the cup.
Seider > Raymond...Simple eye test is all that's needed...If you are 'forced' into paying 1 more than the other - def Seider gets the larger chunk of $$$.

All that said I'm not worried since both will get signed before camp.

Reactions: lilidk

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It depends where they slot guys and how much an opportunity they give to the young guys.

If Edvinsson starts out on the top pair and AlJo gets a legit shot on the middle pair, there’s the potential for some upside. (And what they look like with those opportunities)

If it’s Chiarot on the top pair all year and guys like Maatta or Perry on the middle pair, could be another year of a very not good blue line.

I have a ton of faith in Edvinsson long term. But I do not know what he’s going to be ready for or trusted with this upcoming season. That might be the biggest X factor for how our season goes.
Same, but IMO that reflects more on the coaching staff than on Edvinsson.

Reactions: Sadekuuro

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3