What do you think of Yzerman these days?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How do you feel about Yzerman as a GM these days (and going forward)?

• Star GM, I think he'll build a contender, guaranteed

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • Great GM, I can't ask for more, just be patient

Votes: 44 26.8%
  • Good GM, I don't always like his decisions, but I still think the strategy makes sense

Votes: 47 28.7%
  • Okay GM, I'm worried about some aspects of our strategy, could be worse

Votes: 37 22.6%
  • Bad GM, I think he has some fatal flaws that probably will prevent this team from contending

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • Terrible GM, fire him

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
SOME of being seen as a successful GM has to do with a Dr. John theme. The circumstances are important. A multitude of scenarios exist. As an example, Trotz walked into a different situation than Yzerman and Holland into a different situation than both of them. How they perform within those circumstances is the only way to judge them.

Yzerman has the son of a great owner (shirt sleeves to shirtsleeves in 3 generations), a horrible roster, a worse prospect pool, a farm team in shambles and dead money contracts. All of that to say .....using Dr. John, he was in the right place at the right time. He is a local legend. A man who is given forgiveness and a long length of rope before a noose is tied.

Wings fans know this team was complete and utter garbage. Frankly, a laughing stock in the League. I doubt any other person could have taken this job and be given seven years to turn it around with the type of fan support we see today. Even in this journey to dump the dead money and build a prospect pipeline, he had to 1) build a management team and scouting team (and he lost Verbeek), 2) dump a coach, 3) deal with Covid and 4) get hosed in every lottery.

SCOREBOARD - Always the bottom line. The team has improved every year. They have gone from the very bottom to 1 point from a playoff position. IMO the biggest hurdle is the lack of a star player but some would argue just the opposite. If he can build a great roster without a McDavid/Mathews type, it may actually add depth as the cap dollars can be spread more evenly.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
GR's locker room? Where do you think Snively is going to be playing?

I would imagine probably somewhere near the train tracks

mqdefault.jpg

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan
I still like him but my biggest gripes are his contract negotiation tactics with star players and their drafting philosophies.

I worry that his grinding style of contract negotiations will really not work well with this new generation of players. Young players are showing more and more that they have power and will use it. If they’re not feeling the love they’ll ask to get traded elsewhere. As more prospects graduate i’m a little worried that this style of contract negotiations is outdated.

For his drafting philosophies I just wish they’d take bigger home run swings on guys. Find players with maybe one elite trait and hope you can develop them into stars. Feels like their picks are too safe and because of that most of our prospects are middle sixers and bottom 4 d men.

Reactions: Redwing66

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
I still like him but my biggest gripes are his contract negotiation tactics with star players and their drafting philosophies.

I worry that his grinding style of contract negotiations will really not work well with this new generation of players. Young players are showing more and more that they have power and will use it. If they’re not feeling the love they’ll ask to get traded elsewhere. As more prospects graduate i’m a little worried that this style of contract negotiations is outdated.

For his drafting philosophies I just wish they’d take bigger home run swings on guys. Find players with maybe one elite trait and hope you can develop them into stars. Feels like their picks are too safe and because of that most of our prospects are middle sixers and bottom 4 d men.

Treating people well does not mean you not negotiating hard with them. Treating people well means you outline your motivation, intentions and keep the process respectful, it does not mean you need to succumb to their requests immediately.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016

Wah wah wah the gm is too tough for the soft serve kids today.

It's a multi million dollar negotiation pal. Yzerman has shown in the past with Drouin and st Louis that he will trade you if that's what you want.

This is the most obnoxious take, seriously. There's a salary cap that needs to be worked within.

And who said we're drafting middle six players? Seider, Raymond, edvinsson all top line players. Danielson projects to be 2nd line center with 1st line potential just like Larkin. Asp and mbn both have huge ceilings.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The vast majority of players that hit 70+ points as U22 players end up reaching that type of level. Especially ones with the pedigree of Raymond. Basically he already showed in the 2nd half that he can be a PPG guy.

I guess one cold also point out the hypocrisy of Raymond needing to be a 100+ point guy consistently to be on the level of Stone/Eichel/Barkov/Tkachuk when literally Tkachuk is the only one that has ever hit those numbers.

Eichel has only been above 70+ points twice. Stone has never been. I'm sure you have a laundry list of excuses for those players though that you wouldn't in a million years apply to a Wings player.
I only compared him to Tkachuck and Stone. Stone is miles better defensively

Larkin to the others

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I only compared him to Tkachuck and Stone. Stone is miles better defensively

Larkin to the others
When Stone was 21 he was playing mostly in the AHL. I'm not saying Lucas Raymond will reach his level defensively, but he's already showing good potential with the growth of his defensive game and the way he forechecks and steals pucks. A lot of the comparisons thrown around to cast shade on the rebuild hinge on none of our players improving past the level they're at as 18-23 year olds.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
When Stone was 21 he was playing mostly in the AHL. I'm not saying Lucas Raymond will reach his level defensively, but he's already showing good potential with the growth of his defensive game and the way he forechecks and steals pucks. A lot of the comparisons thrown around to cast shade on the rebuild hinge on none of our players improving past the level they're at as 18-23 year olds.
And on the other end, the comparisons saying we’re doing just fine have Larkin somehow on the level of Barkov and Raymond becoming some combo of 100+ pt player or Selke calibre winger

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
And on the other end, the comparisons saying we’re doing just fine have Larkin somehow on the level of Barkov and Raymond becoming some combo of 100+ pt player or Selke calibre winger
Mostly because some posters are overrating what other teams have in order to spread doom and gloom about the rebuild. There are some that want to write the rebuild off as a failure because we don't necessarily have multiple 100+ point or 50+ goal guys in the pipeline, even though most good teams might have 1 of those guys at best.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Yzerman is slightly above average GM, but it could change any time for better
I'm still waiting/hoping the aggressiveness comes out soon. But I understand the hesitation when the team only has a few long-term high-end to elite players. Hopefully, when Edvinsson breaks out and Danielsson gets a shot, Stevie will be prompted to make some bold moves. Until then, anything like that is likely to hurt more than help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad