What are some of the best/worst NHL traditions?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Best: Handshake lines

Worst: TSN reporting the full dollar value of a contract not the AAV. Sillinger is getting $4.5M per year?! No, no he is not.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Best
The Rangers and Leafs combining for 1 Cup in 150 seasons, knowing there's no end in sight
Worst
Playing YMCA on the first night of a cruise (yep, doesn't belong, but so what? It truly needs to go . . .)

Reactions: miscs75 and Laus723

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Best: Another vote for the handshake line. I like the message that you can play an intense, physical series and are expected to respect your opponent when it's done.

Worst: More a bad habit than an actual tradition – fans banging on the glass. What are they doing?? Are they trying to communicate? Do they want players to throw them peanuts? Are they confused there's an invisible barrier separating them from the ice?

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Best
National anthems
Islanders facial hair policy
Handshakes when playoff series over

Worst
No touching conference cup
No use of ping pong balls for lottery
95% of the third jerseys. Maybe someday I’ll see one that I think looks nice but off the top of my head I can’t think of any
Removing Kate Smith’s statue.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Best: Panthers fans tossing rats on the ice after wins. It’s from a fun early year where we went to the Finals.

Worst: chanting a goalie’s name and saying it’s all his fault after a goal if you’re not Nashville. Not a big fan of them doing it, but I’ve seen other teams’ fans doing it. That’s their thing.
Nashville stole it from University of Wisconsin and/or University of Michigan (don’t know which one did it first, but it’s many decades old). They also have other great scripted chants for key points or moments in the game.

Reactions: Laus723

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Surely the worst was the rookie / initiation "shave" of the 1970s/80s (don't know when it started?).

If you don't know what I'm talking about, "shave" here does not refer to hair on one's scalp.

Some players were slightly traumatized by it, including Finnish star goalie Pelle Lindbergh.

• Wow
Reactions: DaveG

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Best:
-Stadium organists
-Each player getting a day with the Cup
-Rangers’ goal song
-Caps goal horn / siren
-O Canada, the GOAT national anthem IMO
-Fans from the DMV shouting the “O” for Orioles in the 2nd to last verse of the star spangled banner

Worst:
-Trashy fans throwing garbage on the ice to protest a call
-Corporate naming rights for almost every arena
-“storm surge”
-Military propaganda during the game

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
The handshake line and handing off of the Cup followed by a hoisted skate around give me goosebumps every time.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Add me in to the group who thinks the national anthem is stupid

The government pays the league to sing them, that's silly

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The worst traditions are all the pre-game stuff that delay the puck drop, whether it's national anthems, military propaganda or whatever.

I'll allow jersey retirements if it's a player I like.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Worst: Nashville's "you suck" chant. What are they, 12?

“Refs…you suck” has become a popular crowd chant around the league in the past decade or so. Shit is so stupid. 90% of the time it’s not even a bad call that prompts it.

At least learn the refs name. “Refs you suck” just sounds so f***ing amateur and “I don’t know what’s going on but I’m going to whine about officiating”.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
•Not stepping on the logo in the floor of the locker room. Maybe don't put one there then?

This. If your team's logo is a sacred symbol, maybe put it somewhere else than on the ground. Like put it on the ceiling, so that the team members are watched over by the symbol.

Some traditions I don't care for:
- Anthems before the game when its not a national game. Seems unnecessary when it's like Columbus against Minnesota and when bunch of their players are not even from the US. And no, I don't like this when they do it in the Finnish league either.
- Throwing dead animals on the ice. Just a waste and probably not nice to clean up either.

Best ones:
- Shaking hands after playoff series. Hockey games sometimes are very intense but in the end its just a game and shaking your opponents hand after is a gentlemanly gesture.
- All players get their moment with the cup on the ice and afterwards. They won it so they get to enjoy it.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Best "Potvin Sucks" chant by Rangers fans every time they play Islanders. It's crazy to think they still say it and he's been retired since 1988 gotta love it !!
This is the worst. Possibly in the league.

I spend $150 on a ticket, we're down 6-1, and some f***ing asshole starts whistling. It's enough to make you support James Dolan's arena bans. Where's the facial recognition when you need it?

One of the ones I actually do enjoy at the Rangers games is during then anthem when somebody screams "LET'S GO RANGERS!!!" every time the singer stops. It's pretty hype.

Granted, it's funny to me that 99% of the people doing so "stopped watching the NFL" when the players started kneeling, but it's still hype.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad