HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Way too early to tell. Fans are too eager to dump Barron who is trending well
He did not have a good season. Hard to claim he’s trending well.

He shouldn’t be dumped, probably, because there’s no reason to cut him loose at this time. So whatever can happen… can still happen. This is season he has to show something more and at the NHL level.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

He shouldn’t be dumped, probably, because there’s no reason to cut him loose at this time. So whatever can happen… can still happen. This is season he has to show something more and at the NHL level.

I personnally don t see why he was not preferred over Harris Struble to be honest. It would have allowed to keep Guhle on the left side. He made mistake but he also created offense. To me he was rather good.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I already wrote it once, but Barron had a huge disadvantage to our LHDs because he did not have a stabilizing D partner who cold help him. Matheson is the exact opposite of stabilizing and all other LHDs were young players (Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris, Struble). On the other hand whenever some young LHD was struggling, he was paired with Savard or Kovacevic.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I already wrote it once, but Barron had a huge disadvantage to our LHDs because he did not have a stabilizing D partner who cold help him. Matheson is the exact opposite of stabilizing and all other LHDs were young players (Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris, Struble). On the other hand whenever some young LHD was struggling, he was paired with Savard or Kovacevic.
Been injured also. Still young, Barron definitely has the raw skills. Most young D develop best with quality veterans. Probably more offensive Ron Hainsey.

Reactions: Rob Sense

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I personnally don t see why he was not preferred over Harris Struble to be honest. It would have allowed to keep Guhle on the left side. He made mistake but he also created offense. To me he was rather good.
Harris sure, Struble brings an element of physicality to which Barron seems allergic. A relatively soft team like our would always lean on Struble over Barron when looking at the fact they’re both pretty much equal in terms of effect.

We’ll see how this season plays out, hopefully there is good stuff in order

Sometimes conditions aren’t optimal. Barron didn’t help himself much either.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I don't think Habs will trade Savard unless Reinbacher/Mailloux become established top 4 dmen this year. Ideally we trade him by the deadline and he resigns with us for a discount, I'm more than fine having him as a bottom pairing dman for the time being.
He will return considerable assets at the deadline. HuGo will be foolish not to trade him. If he can also liquidate Evans, Pez, Dvo and Armia, he will. Team will stock up on picks and continue to replenish the prospect pool. All majour pieces are now locked up longterm at a discount.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
He will return considerable assets at the deadline. HuGo will be foolish not to trade him. If he can also liquidate Evans, Pez, Dvo and Armia, he will. Team will stock up on picks and continue to replenish the prospect pool. All majour pieces are now locked up longterm at a discount.

Wouldn't say considerable assets. Savard is a poor man's Tanev and he returned a 2nd last deadline. Unless the shelves are really bare this year and a bidding war happen I doubt we get more than a 3rd for Savard.

Reactions: Rapala

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Exactly how I see it as well. Too many young D to develop and can't have them all learning on the job in the NHL. Barron still has potential guys. A lot of fans are sleeping on him and what I see is lack of maturity. Takes time for most D and the ones who shine earlier, typically have a stable partner to lean on. Habs could not provide that for Barron. Not yet anyways.

Reactions: electron58

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wouldn't say considerable assets. Savard is a poor man's Tanev and he returned a 2nd last deadline. Unless the shelves are really bare this year and a bidding war happen I doubt we get more than a 3rd for Savard.

Pretty sure we will retain Savard if the return is just a 3rd. Tanev is overrated as well. Don't agree with your poor man's narrative. I think the opposite... Savard > Tanev. Savard is better at both ends and I think his hockey IQ is higher. Could cause a debate for sure but at the end of the day, Savard's trade value is not strictly tied to Tanev.

Not many teams want to trade a 1st. It's usually circumstantial and the supply/demand part (which is so important) is hard to predict at TDL's. I find the aggression from the buyers are not always the same from season to season.

Reactions: Walksss

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Armia and Dvorak are two players I'm low key hoping can surprise and have big years as they look to get new contracts. And then the bring us something at the TDL - and Hughes trades them even though we're in the thick of a playoff race.

Reactions: rahad

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You didn't get the news flash Savard is garnering a first and no doubt about it. :sarcasm:

What can we get back? We paid a lot for Barron.
Holloway was always a target but they f***ed that up. :laugh:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Unfortunately it's becoming a numbers game on defense and we have a lot of good prospects coming up. I like Barron but I just have a feeling he's gonna be showcased and traded. Reinbacher is a sure bet and if they see that Mailloux can a regular on the top 4 Barron will be gone. Unless he starts the year on fire and can show a lot more consistency on the defensive side I think he's gonna traded.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Unfortunately it's becoming a numbers game on defense and we have a lot of good prospects coming up. I like Barron but I just have a feeling he's gonna be showcased and traded. Reinbacher is a sure bet and if they see that Mailloux can a regular on the top 4 Barron will be gone. Unless he starts the year on fire and can show a lot more consistency on the defensive side I think he's gonna traded.
Same for Savard. Habs will have to make a choice between them for the long run. I’d see Savard getting dealt before Barron, assuming Barron doesn’t shit the bed in camp and to start the season. It’s his make or break camp.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Same for Savard. Habs will have to make a choice between them for the long run. I’d see Savard getting dealt before Barron, assuming Barron doesn’t shit the bed in camp and to start the season. It’s his make or break camp.
I think Savard is here to stay unless he really wants out. I seem him eventually playing less and then becoming a 6-7 defenseman that can be skip games and be benched. They won't wanna keep a young d as 6 or 7 with minimal playing time.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think Savard is here to stay unless he really wants out. I seem him eventually playing less and then becoming a 6-7 defenseman that can be skip games and be benched. They won't wanna keep a young d as 6 or 7 with minimal playing time.
Between Reinbacher, Mailloux and Barron, they’d have 3 top 6 RD. The left is where the issue is.
So they have to decide if they want a 34+ RD long term or Barron. My money is on Barron but I trust Hughes to make the best deal. Either way, I don’t see both of them as a Hab in the long run.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Only 3 good RHD prospects. Very likely Reinbacher spends a year in the AHL, so Savard Mailloux Barron would be on the right side this year. It would be shortsighted to trade Barron and then get a Lidstrom similar to the Petry deal.

Reactions: Adriatic

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Savard only has a few years left in the NHL. He doesn't fit our strategy. Same thing with Gallagher and Armia.

Dvorak and Anderson also don't fit, but that's because we need an upgrade on them to be contenders.

Matheson and Montembeault also probably get phased out as the kids push.

Evans is the only UFA age (27+) player I'd keep. And before someone say it, yes we should get vet additions the window opens.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Savard only has a few years left in the NHL. He doesn't fit our strategy. Same thing with Gallagher and Armia.

Dvorak and Anderson also don't fit, but that's because we need an upgrade on them to be contenders.

Matheson and Montembeault also probably get phased out as the kids push.

Evans is the only UFA age (27+) player I'd keep. And before someone say it, yes we should get vet additions the window opens.
I agree with 100% of this post unless a guy like Kapanen pushes Evans out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad