What are some of the best/worst NHL traditions?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Hate: shouting "HOW MUCH TIME IS LEFT?!?!1" with one minute left to play in a period.

No, the PA announcer wasn't addressing you directly. You're not that f***ing special. Now stfu and watch the game like everyone else, dumbass.

shit was cringeworthy 10 years ago and even worse now.

I have never encountered this.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
I see the hate for the octopus toss, and raise you the f***ing stupid catfish toss in Nashville. I mean, at least at one point the octopus made sense.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
teams like to represent their country. but is this just a North American thing? if KHL or other sports do this too then Canadians and Americans would have to listen to their National Anthem. nothing wrong with having to stand and show respect to the Country before the games start

Why before a sporting event? It's completely random. Why don't we stand for the anthem for everything in life since we're all about showing respect to the country? We should stand for the anthem 9 o'clock sharp at every workplace and at every hotel and every store in America.

Reactions: Sega Dreamcast

Crow

May 19, 2014
Best "Potvin Sucks" chant by Rangers fans every time they play Islanders. It's crazy to think they still say it and he's been retired since 1988 gotta love it !!
I’m usually kind of repulsed by the liberal use of the term “rent free” and see it as a cop out of a legitimate point being made 99/100 times it’s used on this board. However, if someone were to use it here I think they would be on to something.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
don't mind the octopus or catfish, long as it doesn't stop the game, it was kinda disheartening to see Oiler fans chuck a low grade on sale pounded flank steak on the ice, at least make it look cool, like a good looking t-bone or something,

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
A thread like this really reminds me how glad I am that hockey isn’t chalked full of “unwritten rules” like baseball. MLB has probably hundreds of awful “traditions” just based off of those.

As others have said, I love the handshakes and I love the tradition of handing the Cup to a Captain. Would really love if the photo shoot with the commissioner was eliminated but I’ll deal with it.

Many teams do this, but I hate the direct or indirect comparisons of hockey players/games to wars/soldiers. Sure, they do put their bodies on the line but this ain’t fighting for your country or people. It’s a very entertaining game.

That reminds me that I love when both fans and players join in on applauding veterans acknowledged during games. Would love if something like that completely replaced and eliminated the now cliche pre-game anthems.

Absolutely agree. Best 1-2 minute break during a game where a "Hometown Hero" is acknowledged by fans, players and officials alike.

What burns me up are the ignorant in attendance who couldn't be bothered to participate.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I have no issues with the anthems. I like that part of it but that comes from my POV as an American. I can imagine that for a random Euro player, it's annoying but, hey, if you don't like it go play in Europe.

Best:
Handshake lines
Cup handoff order
Hats after a hat trick

Worst:
Booing Gary Bettman. I cannot get over how poorly that reflects on those that do it. Every time a group chooses to do it, I am embarrassed beyond all logic for them, Bettman, and the game. ESPECIALLY when we are talking about the award of the Stanley Cup. Way to just shit all over a great moment. I would venture the guess that 99% of those boo'ing could not articulate WHY they are even boo'ing him.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'll admit that a part of why the anthems are annoying is because Oh Canada and the Star Spangled Banner are two of the most awfully boring national anthems I've ever heard in my life. UK's is also atrocious, so maybe the English speaking world just doesn't have it. I'd have much less problems with it if they sang, say, the French and Italian anthems.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I’m usually kind of repulsed by the liberal use of the term “rent free” and see it as a cop out of a legitimate point being made 99/100 times it’s used on this board. However, if someone were to use it here I think they would be on to something.
Generational trauma. Gotta... love it?
Oof.

You're not wrong though.

Reactions: Crow

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
teams like to represent their country. but is this just a North American thing? if KHL or other sports do this too then Canadians and Americans would have to listen to their National Anthem. nothing wrong with having to stand and show respect to the Country before the games start

We used to have the national anthem played/sung prior to games in the Swedish league when I was a kid as well (me and my fellow Luleå fans would replace the “I want to live, I want to die in the North”-part with “I want to live, I want to die in LUUULEEEÅÅÅ”).

Not sure when it stopped, it was some time in the 2000s and iirc mainly had to do with the broadcasters’ wishes, and it was a bit of a waste of time in my opinion.

Anyhow, I don’t really see why it needs to be part of every NHL game. I mean, it’s club sports — not national teams — and oh, so many games. Both the Canadian and American anthems are nice songs, and I did very much appreciate Alanis Morissette performing prior to game 7 for instance, but I feel restricting the tradition to the SC finals (or the playoffs at least) would make it feel less tedious and give it a bit more gravitas.

On another note, I never got any of the stuff throwing traditions. I guess it’s partly because in Europe when crap gets thrown on the ice (or pitch), a majority of the time it’s actual garbage getting thrown in anger (or worse), and rightfully considered highly disruptive, and the throwers motherless swine who should be identified and banned from future events. Hat throwing in hockey contexts is different of course, but the hats on the ice are much sparser than in the NHL.

Well, I’m not walking home in -30 degree cold without the $50 beanie I bought to show my support for the team in the winter. Maybe the day I actually attend a game where a player on my team scores a hattrick: I think it happens once every two seasons or so, and I live in the other end of the country and only catch 2-5 live games per season… thus far my hat’s been safe.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
This is the worst. Possibly in the league.

I spend $150 on a ticket, we're down 6-1, and some f***ing asshole starts whistling. It's enough to make you support James Dolan's arena bans. Where's the facial recognition when you need it?

It's also the worst because Potvin, in fact, did not suck. How many fans in MSG even know why that chant even started to begin with?

Best:
- Playoff beards
- Handshake lines
- Handing off the Cup
- Phil Pritchard
- Day with the Cup

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I don't think anyone mentioned the everyone on the ice for every goal has to skate by the bench and high five everyone on the bench routine. Tiresome.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: MS

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Why before a sporting event? It's completely random. Why don't we stand for the anthem for everything in life since we're all about showing respect to the country? We should stand for the anthem 9 o'clock sharp at every workplace and at every hotel and every store in America.
I honestly dont know why they do it, just how its always been I guess lol. never really questioned it.
why do you stand in school for the National Anthem every day before the dat starts? I dunno, just the way she goes.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I really dislike the National Anthem part. It's exists pureply due to marketability.

I'm surprised others agree with that tbh. Always felt I was in the overwhelming minority on that one.

Reactions: Sega Dreamcast

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
whats so bad about that? because alot of guys who play in the NHL arent Canadian or American?
Im not trying to be a dick or anything like that but is it just North American sports teams that do this? like in other sports overseas FIFA, Cricket, KHL do they not sing the National Anthem of the Country play for in or against?

It’s purely a NA sports thing. Only happens in international matches in soccer/rugby/cricket.

It’s both braindead propaganda and a giant waste of time.

When you’re watching an EPL game if the kickoff is scheduled for 8 AM the kickoff is literally at 8 AM. A ‘7 pm’ NHL game regularly has a puck drop at 7:15 or later after all the pomp and BS that happens. It’s brutal.

Edit : the other thing that used to happen was that at least broadcasters would normally run commercials over the anthems. Now we all are forced to watch them 82 times /year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad