What are some of the best/worst NHL traditions?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
again, 30% of the league arent even from Canada/US. Im curious how much they acutally care about it.

thats fine, its an opinion. I just dont see the point in doing it, whether other leagues/sports do it too or not. The only time it makes sense in sports is at the Olympics.

For me its just one of those many "well weve always done it this way, so why should we change it?" scenarios that we often see in life. Like how so many Americans still swear by a constitution that was written 150 years ago.
I looked it up in KHL they play that national anthems too. I get it though, was just wondering why u didnt like it.

Reactions: DaveG and amnesiac

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
again, 30% of the league arent even from Canada/US. Im curious how much they acutally care about it.

thats fine, its an opinion. I just dont see the point in doing it, whether other leagues/sports do it too or not. The only time it makes sense in sports is at the Olympics.

For me its just one of those many "well weve always done it this way, so why should we change it?" scenarios that we often see in life. Like how so many Americans still swear by a constitution that was written 150 years ago.
The anthems go for maybe 2.5 mins 5 if Canadian and American teams are playing that night. You can always turn away for a bit, no one is expecting you to stand up in your living room and salute the flag. Would it be great if some anthem singers did a better job? Good God Yes!

Reactions: Voight and OversKy

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
whats so bad about that? because alot of guys who play in the NHL arent Canadian or American?
Im not trying to be a dick or anything like that but is it just North American sports teams that do this? like in other sports overseas FIFA, Cricket, KHL do they not sing the National Anthem of the Country play for in or against?
Can't speak for the KHL, but in say the EPL no, they don't do the anthem before a game. Usually that's reserved for international play.

FWIW I don't care one way or the other about the anthems or not doing the anthems.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Best:
•Playoff handshake line
•Handing the Cup to the captain and passing it to teammates (though it was even better when the team would actually skate laps around the rink with it. Now there's too many people and carpets spread on the ice)
•Booing Bettman
•Don't shoot the puck at the goalie or into the net after whistle. Ever.

Worst:
•the last guy off the ice stuff for warmups. Leave things like that to baseball
•Not stepping on the logo in the floor of the locker room. Maybe don't put one there then?

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
it was an NCAA thing for a LONG time before the Preds joined the league. Probably one of the more PC chants adopted from that level.
Yeah a lot of college hockey teams have some variation of it.

My understanding is many of the Preds cheers from early on carried over from old Nashville Knights days, most of those old ones from section 303 etc. have fallen by the wayside though. I'm not sure if the "all your fault" chant is one of those, would have to hear from one of the OG Preds fans who was older than 8 years old when they came to town, lol.

Reactions: DaveG

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Not exactly answering the question but I’m so glad hockey players don’t do that stupid shit that soccer players do where they pretend to be sad and don’t celebrate when they score against a former team.

It’s so lame when some dude who spent a 6 month loan spell at a team scores against them a year later and won’t even hug his teammates

I think the constitution is older than that lol but test I hate the anthems especially because the Us anthem is horrible and having to listen to some American idol wannabe mutilate it even worse is the worst part of watching sports

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Fair enough, but who started “(goalie name, goalie name) it’s all your fault, it’s all your fault?” I’ve never heard anyone else do that until they did.
Cornell uses it (as do many other schools) and has since the 80s, but freely admits they stole it. From who, I cannot tell you.

Lot of what people consider the classic college hockey chants came from Wisconsin, though I don’t think that one did.

Reactions: DaveG and Laus723

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Booing Bettman is old. Like, I get he's not liked and he does a good job being the "villian" at the draft but these days I feel the Booing is just for the sake of booing without understanding why he's being booed. Just let it die.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
The anthems go for maybe 2.5 mins 5 if Canadian and American teams are playing that night. You can always turn away for a bit, no one is expecting you to stand up in your living room and salute the flag. Would it be great if some anthem singers did a better job? Good God Yes!
again, I just dont see the point. Whats the link between the national anthem and a sporting event alone (apart from the Olympics)? Is it just to amp up the crowd? The players themselves are of many different nationalities as we know.

Again, to me its just one of those traditions that we do just for the sake of keeping a tradition. Whatever... its just repetitive and unnecessary to me.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Worst tradition: the Sabres missing the playoffs

/end thread

Shh, if you don’t mention it maybe people won’t notice.

On a somewhat related note- “let’s go Sabres” grinds my gears. “Let’s go Buffalo” is so much better. Not really a tradition, just somethin I’ve heard that I did not like.

Reactions: DaveG

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
Best :
the televised draft lottery
The in-person draft (which is now a thing of the past sadly)
The trophy 🏆 ceremony. I rarely watch but I like that they do it.
The anthems

Worst:
retiring numbers
Adding a new 3rd or 4th or 5th jersey all the damn time.
The players raising their 700$ sticks at the end of the game.
Players standing on one leg as if they are about to pee on a fire hydrant after they score

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad