What are some of the best/worst NHL traditions?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Like:
- Anthems, to me are a strangely satisfying moment where the players stand at the blue lines or the bench before they go to battle. Like a calm before the storm.
- Hand Shakes at the end of a playoff series, brings a level of class to the game
- Fans singing to songs like Sweet Caroline and Mr Brightside
- Honoring those who fight for our freedom with an applause

Dislike:
- The insertion of team stuff into the anthems; feels just a tad odd
- The need to note for Canadian arenas being on native land, sorry but aside from an indigenous culture day I don’t need to be hammered about territorial disputes before a hockey game. Honoring a culture is far different than practically apologizing for something there isn’t a need to apologize for. (Land seizure via conquest or purchase isn’t something we should cry about, mass murder on the other hand should be)
Imagine what we'd have to do in Columbus!

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
While everyone is entitled to their opinion regarding the Anthems - I was fortunate to have been in attendance for 4 games at the old Chicago Stadium (3 Detroit - 1 Leafs)...Wayne Messmer is a legend!

Reactions: Patrik26

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
People getting butthurt about anthems before games? Yikes.

I like the 3-stars of the game, starting goalie leading team onto the ice out of the dressing room and stick-taps.

Booing Bettman is a bit dated and he feeds into it. Throw him off by going completely nuts and cheer for him - or be completely silent.

Reactions: OversKy and Bizz

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
We used to have the national anthem played/sung prior to games in the Swedish league when I was a kid as well (me and my fellow Luleå fans would replace the “I want to live, I want to die in the North”-part with “I want to live, I want to die in LUUULEEEÅÅÅ”).

Not sure when it stopped, it was some time in the 2000s and iirc mainly had to do with the broadcasters’ wishes, and it was a bit of a waste of time in my opinion.

Anyhow, I don’t really see why it needs to be part of every NHL game. I mean, it’s club sports — not national teams — and oh, so many games. Both the Canadian and American anthems are nice songs, and I did very much appreciate Alanis Morissette performing prior to game 7 for instance, but I feel restricting the tradition to the SC finals (or the playoffs at least) would make it feel less tedious and give it a bit more gravitas.

On another note, I never got any of the stuff throwing traditions. I guess it’s partly because in Europe when crap gets thrown on the ice (or pitch), a majority of the time it’s actual garbage getting thrown in anger (or worse), and rightfully considered highly disruptive, and the throwers motherless swine who should be identified and banned from future events. Hat throwing in hockey contexts is different of course, but the hats on the ice are much sparser than in the NHL.

Well, I’m not walking home in -30 degree cold without the $50 beanie I bought to show my support for the team in the winter. Maybe the day I actually attend a game where a player on my team scores a hattrick: I think it happens once every two seasons or so, and I live in the other end of the country and only catch 2-5 live games per season… thus far my hat’s been safe.

I never really thought about it until recently, but the national anthems are kind of strange to have before sporting events.

Uefa champions league has its own internal anthem which I think is more appropriate, if you are going to have it at all.

I love the bettman booing. It entertains me everytime especially the way he feeds off of it like a "bad guy" wrestler.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
A thread like this really reminds me how glad I am that hockey isn’t chalked full of “unwritten rules” like baseball. MLB has probably hundreds of awful “traditions” just based off of those.

Baseball is chock full of stupid unwritten rules specifically because pitchers are maladjusted children who will throw the ball at your face if you do something to show them up, like swing at a 3-0 fastball when your team is up, or generally just get out of bed in the morning.

On top of 30% of the league not being Canadian/American, I just dont see the point. Its so repetitive to do it before EVERY single game. Not a big fan of patriotism either.

I mean this isnt the Olympics, no team is representing a nation.

Anthems are sung for the fans, not the players.

Reactions: OversKy and Bizz

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
I’d like to see league add an anthem rendition before the puck drop to start the 2nd and 3rd periods as well.

In cities that are known to be unpatriotic (SF/San Jose; Vancouver) this would be augmented by the Pledge of Allegiance, and possibly the Lord’s Prayer.

Last edited:

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
It was before the 2012/2013 season.

Really? Had to double check and you’re right. That’s surprising to me, I was in my 20s, caught a few SEL games live in the couple of seasons prior, and I don’t recall the national anthem being a thing that late. Ah well.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Someone stole our thread idea we have 2 color pages on this topic in today's paper, guess they needed some hockey filler so early in September

heres what they had for best

- Solo lap for first career game
-Captain not owner raising the cup first
-handshake after playoff series
-playoff beard
-Throwing of rats and octopuss

For worst
-national anthem
one player per team for allstar game
-not touching conference trophy
-not walking on logo in dressing room

Split decision

-booing of Bettman( still funny but immature)
-video tribute for returning players ( ok for players with long stints but not for guys who playedjust a few games)
-retired jerseys ( ok for players who were true superstars but not for guys with average career)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Worst

National Anthem- Ever since I was a kid playing football I always thought it was strange that we sing the national anthem before every single game. Half the time they just played a scratchy recording over a poor quality speaker anyway. When my step-dad moved over here from France he added to this thought for me by saying he was surprised by this and that they don't do this in Europe.

Throwing stuff on the ice - Aside from hats during a hat-trick I hate seeing things thrown onto the ice, especially animals that are/were alive. Nashville throwing out cat-fish was absurd, Detroit octopus, etc. Just comes off as trashy and gross to me.

Best

Playoff Beards - I like this for fans and players. Just adds a bit of visual gruffness to a tough sport. I usually can grow a pretty decent one if my team goes far and I think it's funny seeing guys who are normally clean-cut growing a semblance of a beard (Crosby I'm looking at you).

Hand Shake Line - Great tradition that caps off a series with respect and dignity for both teams. Just a great visual. Again, in my own experience growing up playing sports I always thought a hand-shake line was a great way to end a game with respect. As a by-product you can also see which guys are the ones to break that respect and I think it tells a lot about them as a person/player.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
-retired jerseys ( ok for players who were true superstars but not for guys with average career)
Ehh while as a fan of teams that do retire numbers I don't agree with (Mets with Gooden and Strawberry ) I think its hard to place a value on an average player and what they mean to a team you are not apart of. Like for the Devils Ken Daneyko. Was he an amazing player? No but he was there for a long time playing well and just good for the team and the fans

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
People getting butthurt about anthems before games? Yikes.

I like the 3-stars of the game, starting goalie leading team onto the ice out of the dressing room and stick-taps.

Booing Bettman is a bit dated and he feeds into it. Throw him off by going completely nuts and cheer for him - or be completely silent.
Not butthurt it’s just a waste of time

Winnipeg yells True North because the name of the ownership group that brought the NHL back to Winnipeg is literally called True North.
Even worse tbh

Why though, a little nationalism isn’t a bad thing.
For the last time , Patriotism != Nationalism

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
National anthems in club games is easily the worst, if you REALLY have to do them, at least reserve that shit for the playoffs only.

Handshakes after series is a cool tradition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad