What are some of the best/worst NHL traditions?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I don't like the tradition of anything getting thrown on the ice with the exception of hats for a hattrick. I think all the other things are stupid IMO

Like I said before, fans throwing things on-ice should only be permitted for hats for a hat trick. Or…teddy bears for charity during designed Teddy Bear Toss nights.

Reactions: cc

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
The Duclair thread where he cut his hair to play on the Islanders got me thinking about NHL traditions. Obviously the Lou Lamoriello clean shaven rule this day and age is ridiculous and needs to be scrapped (Considering the tradition of playoff beards originated with the Islanders in the 1980s). Wondering what you all think are good traditions that should be kept, and what needs to be retired.

Off the top of my head the one I liked the most is the rookie lap, sending a rookie in their first NHL game out before the team and let them do a solo skate around the ice. They work their whole lives for that feel good moment and it seems deserved.

Traditions id look to get rid of are obviously Lou's clean shaven one above, Im also not a fan of stuff getting tossed on the ice (Nashville catfish, Detroit octopus).

And before someone mentions it, yes... the Leafs golfing in April

So, that's a tradition you would like to keep?

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
When a team scores they go down the bench and tap everyone’s gloves. What other sport does that happen? It’s always been pee wee level to me.
Just celebrate with the guys on the ice and get back to the face off dot

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I've never met a Rangers fan that likes or loves the "Potvin Sucks" chant that's been heard at every single Rangers game since the 1970's. Yet, despite that fact, you WILL hear it...at every single Rangers home game. Every single one. Many many times.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Booing Bettman is old. Like, I get he's not liked and he does a good job being the "villian" at the draft but these days I feel the Booing is just for the sake of booing without understanding why he's being booed. Just let it die.

Love: The handshake line after playoff series. It’s the personification of sport

Hate: Booing Bettman every year. At worst, hockey is doing just fine under his tenure. You’re either a meathead or a Canadian conspiracy theorist to think he deserves to be booed.

I have no issues with the anthems. I like that part of it but that comes from my POV as an American. I can imagine that for a random Euro player, it's annoying but, hey, if you don't like it go play in Europe.

Best:
Handshake lines
Cup handoff order
Hats after a hat trick

Worst:
Booing Gary Bettman. I cannot get over how poorly that reflects on those that do it. Every time a group chooses to do it, I am embarrassed beyond all logic for them, Bettman, and the game. ESPECIALLY when we are talking about the award of the Stanley Cup. Way to just shit all over a great moment. I would venture the guess that 99% of those boo'ing could not articulate WHY they are even boo'ing him.

Agreed - it’s beyond dumb.

Our fans started it and Bettman will always get booed by our fans and he deserves it. Guy came on to talk about a possible move to Nashville 1 period away from the team winning their first Stanley Cup.

Reactions: coooldude

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Anthems are cool and I like Canada's when a visiting team from there plays here. What annoys me is the choices of some of the SINGERS. Dear God, where do I begin...

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Best
1- Handshake after battling in playoff series.
2- Leafs not winning a Stanley cup.

Worst
1- Rangers chanting “Potvin Sucks” every game even though he retired over 30 years ago and is one of the great all time Defenseman.

Reactions: BlueSeal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad