What’s your unpopular hockey opinion?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Put goalie equipment on a morbidly obese man and tie him to the goal posts. He'll probably have a league average SV%. No need to dish out hefty goalie contracts. Pay more money to the players who actually skate.
Cant remember what show but they did this with some 4th liner against a really large goalie. The 4th liner was sniping corners like crazy. You need to have excellent twitch reflex and the speed to be a goalie. If someone is 600 pounds they are not going to be very quick, and if he ends up on his back he is toastin and coastin.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
On the flip side, I think completely taking fighting and the other goonish things out of hockey would make it 100% better.
you must a) love the ladies game and b) have never BEEN to a game ( in person, with all of the other paying customers in a gate driven league) when a fight breaks out.

here's a hint, paying fans don't boo, cover their eyes or do their best helen lovejoy impersonations.

but that's kinda moot because they players don't fight for the fans either way. and even if the fans didnt like it ( snicker snicker) they players still want the choice to self police. from the beginning, uninterrupted.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Cant remember what show but they did this with some 4th liner against a really large goalie. The 4th liner was sniping corners like crazy. You need to have excellent twitch reflex and the speed to be a goalie. If someone is 600 pounds they are not going to be very quick, and if he ends up on his back he is toastin and coastin.
I'm assuming someone 1000 lbs will cover 99% of the net. I'm not relying on reflexes, I'm counting on body mass blocking the net.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Make it a 60 game season. Love hockey but the season is too long and it would make for more rested players come playoff time = better hockey.
and less money for a gate driven league.
you want to increase the price of tickets 25% across the board to make the season more palatable to you ?
that would be an unpopular opinion.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
you must a) love the ladies game and b) have never BEEN to a game ( in person, with all of the other paying customers in a gate driven league) when a fight breaks out.

here's a hint, paying fans don't boo, cover their eyes or do their best helen lovejoy impersonations.

but that's kinda moot because they players don't fight for the fans either way. and even if the fans didnt like it ( snicker snicker) they players still want the choice to self police. from the beginning, uninterrupted.
Seriously, do you think the players have the choice to self police right now? Does the threat of a fight prevent anything?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Seriously, do you think the players have the choice to self police right now? Does the threat of a fight prevent anything these days?
guys wanna fight, they absolutely have that choice right now. you run the goalie, your reticence to settle will not currently, nor will it ever, protect you.

fights go up, fights go down. what fights don't do is go away completely. because they very people who reap the benefits or suffer the coinsequences, overwhelmingly beleive that the ability to drop the gloves and settle beefs makes them all safer in aggregate.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
I'm assuming someone 1000 lbs will cover 99% of the net. I'm not relying on reflexes, I'm counting on body mass blocking the net.

Again its solid in theory but in practice will fail hard.. Watch those fattest people tv shows, 1000 lb people cant even stand on solid ground let alone ice with just knives on their feet. It would take 3 minutes tops for a 1000 lb goalie to get out of position leaving a wide open net due to physics on ice. That goalie would not be able to skate and then stop in front of the goalie.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
guys wanna fight, they absolutely have that choice right now. you run the goalie, your reticence to settle will not currently, nor will it ever, protect you.

fights go up, fights go down. what fights don't do is go away completely. because they very people who reap the benefits or suffer the coinsequences, overwhelmingly beleive that the ability to drop the gloves and settle beefs makes them all safer in aggregate.
Players aren't enforcing anything themselves these days. Fights have turned into a bit of petty revenge. How many times does the guy who did something dirty and then got jumped skate away smiling knowing he just earned his team a powerplay? Someone like Marchand WANTS someone to come throw some punches at him.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Players aren't enforcing anything themselves these days. Fights have turned into a bit of petty revenge. How many times does the guy who did something dirty and then got jumped skate away smiling knowing he just earned his team a powerplay? Someone like Marchand WANTS someone to come throw some punches at him.

frequency will vary. but if you think you can be challenged with obvious intent and keep the gloves on, Aaron Ekblad has that opinion as well.

so what you want to do is enable the rats. let players stick guys, run numbers and then simply skate to the bench ?
the players considered this. and rejected it outright. even if you ( or anyone else) doesn't like it.

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
Largest fat man alive weighs 1200 and would cover 90 percent of the net. But he cant stand or get out of bed. Sports science had George Parros shoot against a pro sumo wrestler of 500 pounds. I don't think Perros missed a single shot.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Again its solid in theory but in practice will fail hard.. Watch those fattest people tv shows, 1000 lb people cant even stand on solid ground let alone ice with just knives on their feet. It would take 3 minutes tops for a 1000 lb goalie to get out of position leaving a wide open net due to physics on ice. That goalie would not be able to skate and then stop in front of the goalie.
They wouldn't get through a period without falling unconscious. 60 minutes? They might just die.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
frequency will vary. but if you think you can be challenged with obvious intent and keep the gloves on, Aaron Ekblad has that opinion as well.

so what you want to do is enable the rats. let players stick guys, run numbers and then simply skate to the bench ?
the players considered this. and rejected it outright. even if you ( or anyone else) doesn't like it.
no, I want the refs and the league to enforce the rules. As is, the rats are already enabled. The rats get protected and the enforcers get penalized. Back in the day an enforcer was actually allowed to enforce. Now they don't do much of anything. A punch or two to the helmet and the rat goes down and the ref stops it and gives the enforcer an extra 2 minutes. Ideally the league handles it's own shit. Barring that, I'd rather see things go back to a decade or two ago. But right now, nobody is really doing anything to stop the rats. They are actively trying to get the other team to start a fight. That's how ineffective fighting is as a deterrent in the current NHL.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
no, I want the refs and the league to enforce the rules. As is, the rats are already enabled. The rats get protected and the enforcers get penalized.

is 2019 who the hell is an enforcer in the league ?
We have guys like paul byron, who takes a hit up high and goes on the IR. He comes back, sees the guy and paul byron says " let's go". paul freaking byron!
is paul byron an enforcer now ? is 5-9 max domi an enforcer because he dropped softy aaron ekblad ?

the game is played, competitvely, by large men moving at speed in confined spaces, with clubs in their hands, knives on their feet and malice in their hearts. Beefs will be borne.

How do you want these beefs squashed ? at the end of a stick ? or by number running ? how about a nice big flying elbow to the chops ? your answer " by the ref's whistle" won't work as far as the players are concerned and they are seemingly, almost universally uninclined, to put their safety at risk to test this hypothesis to satisfy you, and your ilk.

or you can have two players, look each other in the eyes, CONSENT, drop the mitts and go under very clear rules of conduct ?

Enforcers ? Are you watching NHL archives ?

and let's not get bogged down in thet " what I like" vs "what tyou like". let's look at what the paying FANS and the players like.

you gonna invoke the silent majority ( its a well worn move).

the players want the right to self police and the paying fans seemingly have very little problem with fights when they do break out.

it takes a pathological sense of entitlement to think that the exten of YOUR personal offense trumps both of those and that the league should ignore those two constituencies, you appease you.

what if you would enjoy the game more if the players wore lucha libre masks and tutus?

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
is 2019 who the hell is an enforcer in the league ?
We have guys like paul byron, who takes a hit up high and goes on the IR. He comes back, sees the guy and paul byron says " let's go". paul freaking byron!
is paul byron an enforcer now ? is 5-9 max domi an enforcer because he dropped softy aaron ekblad ?

the game is played, competitvely, by large men moving at speed in confined spaces, with clubs in their hands, knives on their feet and malice in their hearts. Beefs will be borne.

How do you want these beefs squashed ? at the end of a stick ? or by number running ? how about a nice big flying elbow to the chops ? your answer " by the ref's whistle" won't work as far as the players are concerned and they are seemingly, almost universally uninclined, to put their safety at risk to test this hypothesis to satisfy you, and your ilk.

or you can have two players, look each other in the eyes, CONSENT, drop the mitts and go under very clear rules of conduct ?

Enforcers ? Are you watching NHL archives ?
If that's the only fighting we get, great keep it in. But 9 times out of 10, fights happen right after a big hit regardless of whether or not it was a clean or dirty hit. There's no actual beef, it's just one guy who feels like he needs to get some revenge.

As for your notion that the league can't handle the rules, why is this exclusive to hockey? Why can football players tackle each other over and over again without needing to fight to squash their beefs? The notion that hockey needs fighting but no other league does is just absurd. I'm not saying you need to suspend everybody, but if a punch is thrown, call a penalty every single time. It's not that hard. Doesn't eliminate fighting as long as you accept that you're taking a penalty for it. But it would eliminate guys just getting punched in every damn goal scrum after a whistle.

Anyway, this is about our unpopular opinion. The biggest reason I would be happy with getting fighting out of the sport is because it's just not entertaining to watch. They aren't good at it, and doing it with skates on just doesn't lead to good fights. Maybe 1 out of 100 fights are actually entertaining imo.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
If that's the only fighting we get, great keep it in. But 9 times out of 10, fights happen right after a big hit regardless of whether or not it was a clean or dirty hit. There's no actual beef, it's just one guy who feels like he needs to get some revenge.

As for your notion that the league can't handle the rules, why is this exclusive to hockey? Why can football players tackle each other over and over again without needing to fight to squash their beefs? The notion that hockey needs fighting but no other league does is just absurd. I'm not saying you need to suspend everybody, but if a punch is thrown, call a penalty every single time. It's not that hard. Doesn't eliminate fighting as long as you accept that you're taking a penalty for it. But it would eliminate guys just getting punched in every damn goal scrum after a whistle.

Anyway, this is about our unpopular opinion. The biggest reason I would be happy with getting fighting out of the sport is because it's just not entertaining to watch. They aren't good at it, and doing it with skates on just doesn't lead to good fights. Maybe 1 out of 100 fights are actually entertaining imo.

I'm sorry, a guy who is on the receiving end of a big hit, most certainly has a beef. If he thinks that liberties have been taken against him ( and unlike some people. he doesnt have the benefit of 5 different angles in super slow mo) he has every right to ask that the ledger be settled.

and if you have watched say more than 2 NHL games, you know that whether a hit was clean or not, is often moot. You throw a big hit late in a settled game where you are up, chances are someone is going to give you the opportunity to atone.

Why does hockey alone have to have fights ? Because it always has, and the players are fine with it. Knocking someone with poseesion of the ball or puck on their ass doesnt stop the game in hockey much like in football. You want to know why ? lets look at the NFL is the only real comparable situation, when a QB throws a deep interception and now the receivers who are expected to notmally catch the ball, have to actually block and tackle. Players on the defensive team routinely waylay players from the offensice team in this situation. Some of the worst hits in the NFL come from these very plays.

Now give all the players clubs.

THAT'S why the NHL allows fights ( coicidentally, so does box lacrosse). And unlike the NfL, where pushing your fingers into an opponents eye, biting, twisting and breaking of fingers, in a scrum are accepted, the NHL has decided that if there are beefs on the ice that the potential for damage is so great that if it keeps escalating that it is better to have the two players looke each other in the face, consent, and throw under EXTREMELY rigid expectations of conduct.

lets look at the bold, and let's ignore the fact that the players dont fight to entertain you. this assertion that its " not entertaining to watch" is, for lack of a better word, a complete lie. perhaps a disingenuous lie. if you don't like it, turn your head. but there is little doubt, among the paying fans in a gate driven league, that fights ARE entertaining as evidenced by what happens everytime a fight happens.

yes, yes we are all neaderthals who will never be able to even aspire to your level of culture and wit. We have heard it before.

but we don't say things that are demonstrably untrue either. so there is that,

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Right now, Nikita Kucherov is a better hockey player than Connor McDavid.

right now, neither are playing so its kind of hard to tell.

but if one year can make you " better" then jordan binnington is the greatest goalie in league history. the most recent johnny in a string of johnny come lately's.

Reactions: I Like Dumb Posts

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Uhm... as in you agree?

Any relative “scrub” could fire a harder shot than before.

Or a random non-NHL player scrub.

But of course a better skilled player, which there are more of now, will be even deadlier JUST looking at shots. My point was those sticks will counter/are countered by the newly improved team-defenses. To the previous guys point, we can remove modern technology, but good luck regulating modern hockey theory. We’d just make the game more boring because it’s be way harder to score.
—————

By overall talent gap I’m also referring to players skating ability shot ability (including selection), combined with stickhandling, etc

And smarter players, smarter players from a bigger talent pool (hence the smaller gap) know more where to be on the ice, where to go/what to anticipate, body AND stick-positioning (as opposed to holding your stick wherever until you think it’s time to swat at it like many genuine scrubs in past eras) etc etc

Last edited:

Chips

Aug 19, 2015

In 2019 you’d think the league could have someone watching the game who could call them out on that cheap shit every time and punish them... I think with a little time that’d turn into a nice deterant without the potential for brain damage.

I mean, obviously fighting has never actually deterred that stuff too effectively, and is itself not too much better.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
In 2019 you’d think the league could have someone watching the game who could call them out on that cheap **** every time and punish them... I think with a little time that’d turn into a nice deterant without the potential for brain damage.

I mean, obviously fighting has never actually deterred that stuff too effectively, and is itself not too much better.

Checking causes more "brain damage" than fights.

And your proposal, to let the refs and the refs only police the game. The players have head of this notion and rejected it.

Repeating a non starter isn't going to convince the players, especially one that has been said, verbatim, for as long as I have been alive.

You either haven't been paying attention or you have an admirable really really really really really really long game.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Who said anything about standing. Strap him to the goal posts solid so he wouldn't move.

I don't actually think this will work, in all seriousness. There is a good reason it's unpopular :)

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Unpopular opinion.....

If they took the sash off of the Kings Burger King jersey and centred the logo, it would have been a pretty good jersey for the mid 90's.

s-l400.jpg

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
2nd line Puljujärvi with PP2 opportunities in a decent team and mediocre line mates would be in scoring top 20.

He isn't already, is The Miracle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad