What’s the team need?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
A top offensive defenseman. Reilly is not it.

Need scoring from the blueliners.
Rielly is a top offensive defence man. He just doesn’t have a bomb from the point which we desperately need.

I’d call up St.Louis and see what the cost is for Justin Faulk. Toss Brodie beside him, keep Schenner beside Mo.

We’d finally have some consistent offence from the point.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Dubas had an opportunity to assemble a contender, and despite some massive obstacles, he was able to do that. There's nothing flawed about Dubas' vision, despite your incorrect and incredibly vague assertion otherwise.
Well you ignore the fact that the core of the team Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly were already on the team and had made the playoffs when Dubas took over. Yes he signed Tavares to a now very debatable contact and made many other small changes but his teams have accomplished precious little.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You dont give a f*** about the sport only dubas.
You don't even give a shit about the leafs
That's not true, of course. I love the Leafs and I love hockey, and I care about both infinitely more than any particular individual on the team.
As a Leaf fan, I obviously support things that are beneficial to the team, like Dubas, for as long as he continues to be beneficial. Not sure why that's so hard for some people to understand. And as a hockey fan, I obviously dislike and don't support things that are detrimental to it, like a broken entity having monopolized control over the sport I love, and a plague of apathy about it.
It hasn’t hurt the teams that are moving on or is it just directed at the teams that lose?
A broken league hurts everybody.
Well I guess we've graduated past expected wins to outright conspiracy theories about a centralized cabal plotting against Dubas' flawless vision.
Expected wins were never a thing, and there certainly aren't any "conspiracy theories about a centralized cabal plot against Dubas' flawless vision". Not sure where you got either.
I know you think you've found a winning deflection from the topic of our GM's (and President's and coach's) epic failure to build anything close to a championship caliber playoff team but we're not having it. I suggest starting another thread on the topic of the league's actual indifference to player safety and its inconsistent almost corrupt officiating. I think we're simpatico on that topic.
You're the one trying to deflect the topic to that incorrect assessment of the team and what's happened.
I was discussing exactly what you seem to agree with, so not sure what you're arguing against.
Well you ignore the fact that the core of the team Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly were already on the team and had made the playoffs when Dubas took over.
No, none of that was ignored. I recommend reading the post again.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Some speed and heavier forecheck abilities in the top 9 forwards to better compliment the core guys.

And another stronger two way guy in the top 3 of the D to help replace Muzzins offensive touch and lift some of the burden from Rielly would be a start.

And finally get a bit of luck on goaltending

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It’s not my opinion that makes his vision was flawed, it’s the results.
The results don't say his vision is flawed.
The league is growing because it’s an excellent product.
It's not really growing all that well. It remains well behind other similar sports leagues, a lot of its "growth" is more of a mirage, and any actual growth it does see has a lot more to do with the monopoly it has on the sport, and the size of their growth potential, not because it's an excellent, flawless product.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The results don't say his vision is flawed.

You really have no respect for your own credibility. It’s quite sad watching the lengths you go for this little performance.

It's not really growing all that well. It remains well behind other similar sports leagues, a lot of its "growth" is more of a mirage, and any actual growth it does see has a lot more to do with the monopoly it has on the sport, and the size of their growth potential, not because it's an excellent, flawless product.

I didn’t say it couldn’t be a little better, but it’s definitely a great product and it definitely is not broken.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Why not try to put two power forwards around Auston Matthews and recreate the 2024 version of a Legion of Doom Line? Matthews is a bit of a chameleon in the sense that he can be a power forward, a defensively conscious forward, a skilled based finesse sniper, etc.

In the playoffs, I think Matthews and Marner reinforce the weaker aspects of their mid pacing finesse game. Maybe we need two 6'4" beasts who can be wrecking balls and create space for Matthews to operate.
It wasn't Lindros running mates that were solely responsible for his success(but boy did they ever help) Lindros had loads of compete and used every pound to inflict damage and dominate just about every opponent in the league. I don't really see that type of killer instinct in Matthews I'm afraid.

Reactions: studebaker17

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It wasn't Lindros running mates that were solely responsible for his success(but boy did they ever help) Lindros had loads of compete and used every pound to inflict damage and dominate just about every opponent in the league. I don't really see that type of killer instinct in Matthews I'm afraid.

He doesn't have Lindros' aggression at all. But Matthews is also a chameleon of a player and can play different styles when he feels like it. Sometimes he'll lay the body and make big hits. Sometimes he'sa near Selke threat. Sometimes he's defensively clueless and completely passive.

I just don't think Matthews-Marner is a playoff suitable duo. So why not build a power forward line around him and let the other big boys pull him into a more aggressive game?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You really have no respect for your own credibility.
Of course I do. That's why I stick to the facts, and provide substantiation and explanation for positions. It sounds more like you struggle respecting people who are credible.
I didn’t say it couldn’t be a little better, but it’s definitely a great product and it definitely is not broken.
You said it was growing because it's an excellent product, when it's both not growing very well despite being a monopoly in the industry, and not an excellent product.
You then dismissed pretty obvious issues. The league is undeniably broken. It was true before we lost. It would be true if we were still in it. It's true when it benefits us. It will continue to be true for a while yet to come, and the more people try and pretend it's not and blame people who call it out, the longer it will take to fix.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Some speed and heavier forecheck abilities in the top 9 forwards to better compliment the core guys.

And another stronger two way guy in the top 3 of the D to help replace Muzzins offensive touch and lift some of the burden from Rielly would be a start.

And finally get a bit of luck on goaltending
I think one of the core guys needs to be what you mention in the first point.

Definitely need to focus on building up the D.

I think Woll/Samsonov could be a decent tandem.

Reactions: Menzinger

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Of course I do. That's why I stick to the facts, and provide substantiation and explanation for positions. It sounds more like you struggle respecting people who are credible.

You said it was growing because it's an excellent product, when it's both not growing very well despite being a monopoly in the industry, and not an excellent product.
You then dismissed pretty obvious issues. The league is undeniably broken. It was true before we lost. It would be true if we were still in it. It's true when it benefits us. It will continue to be true for a while yet to come, and the more people try and pretend it's not and blame people who call it out, the longer it will take to fix.

Hey everyone look Dubas is back & Dubas thinks Dubas' vision & process are flawless.

So what of kind term & dollars are you giving Kerfoot & Holl ?

Asking for a friend.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Hey everyone look Dubas is back & Dubas thinks Dubas' vision & process are flawless.

So what of kind term & dollars are you giving Kerfoot & Holl ?

Asking for a friend.
Lol you are making me think if the Seinfeld episode The Jimmy.
What do you think about your 2nd round against Florida?
1684110622497.jpeg

Dubas built it well.
Dubas paid guys well.
Dubas did a good job.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

You have an interesting view of reality, that’s for sure. It explains a lot.

Again, it’s not broken just because you don’t like it, or because your idol failed within it. The product is excellent.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I need to know why the Leafs sucked all post season, spare 1 game vs FloridaTeam1 and the last 2 games vs FloridaTeam2

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Dubas’s vision is not working. The proof is yet one more disappointing playoffs where 3 of his big guns disappeared in round 2.
His goal tending strategy is yet one more example of incompetence.
Most of his trade deadline deals were largely ineffective

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
IMO, the team need is to get a true, top, right hand shot, defenceman with size, and "balance" their offence go a greater degree than they have in the past. That means one of 16 or 34 has to go.

The problem is -- I just don't see how you're going to do it. They've got $13m in cap space. Assume they get rid of Murray somehow, and it's $17.5m.

If they lose ROR, they're going to need somebody basically like him. I'd imagine he's getting at least $4-5m. They're going to need at least one goalie... that's probably $5m+... all of a sudden you're left with basically $1m per player to fill out the roster.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
IMO, the team need is to get a true, top, right hand shot, defenceman with size, and "balance" their offence go a greater degree than they have in the past. That means one of 16 or 34 has to go.

The problem is -- I just don't see how you're going to do it. They've got $13m in cap space. Assume they get rid of Murray somehow, and it's $17.5m.

If they lose ROR, they're going to need somebody basically like him. I'd imagine he's getting at least $4-5m. They're going to need at least one goalie... that's probably $5m+... all of a sudden you're left with basically $1m per player to fill out the roster.

Goaltending could be cheaper than you think. If they opt to go with Woll and Samsonov, combined they'll probably be under 4 mil - at least if they give Sammy a 1-2 year bridge deal

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I need to know why the Leafs sucked all post season, spare 1 game vs FloridaTeam1 and the last 2 games vs FloridaTeam2

Players looked lost half the time since the trade deadline. We played way better as a team before that.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Goaltending could be cheaper than you think. If they opt to go with Woll and Samsonov, combined they'll probably be under 4 mil - at least if they give Sammy a 1-2 year bridge deal

Maybe... but is that the kind of monumental shift/ improvement we're really looking for?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Vegas - Cassidy
Carolina - Brind Amour
Dallas - DoBoer
Carolina - Maurice

All dinosaurs coaches. None of them is their first NHL gig. Even Brind Amour was an assistant coach first

Beside Brind Amour, all of the other coaches been to the finals. He only went as a player

Who knew experience matters

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Maybe... but is that the kind of monumental shift/ improvement we're really looking for?

Fair question to ask.

Depends on what the alternative is. Free agency looks scarce, mostly 1B types like Reimer. Quick seemingly the most intriguing of the bunch Which means trying to find a trade partner if the Leafs want to find a true starter.

Might lead the front office to focus on the easier route of spending the money among the skaters instead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad