What’s the team need?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Beside the obvious like McD, Makar….

Who should the team target this off season.
Free agents only as we don’t know who is available via trade.

As of now, there are 5 spots open in the top 12.
1 spot open in the top 6

Also put in who to trade out but not who can get in a trade bc we just don’t know.

At the end, put in the type of players needing coming back from a trade, can name preferred players.

My list:

Resign- ROR, Acciari, Schenn, Kampf, Sammy
Sign- Brown and Bertuzzi

Trade- TJ, Murray, JT

Need still a heavier Dman to replace TJ, a heavier winger to replace JT.

JT Miller and Tanev.
the team 'needs' 2 top 4 d-men who are physically strong and have an actual mean streak, not just toss a big hit now and then like McCabe, and Schenn isnt actually a top 4 d-man.
they could also use a top 6 forward in the same mould.

those 3 pieces make them a legitimate cup contender.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
This team needs to hold someone more accountable than just a GM that apparently didn't even want to be here.

It's easy to tank a team.

Anyone can trade away good players and ice an AHL team. Even I could do it. Coming in last place so they could draft Matthews is Shanahan's greatest accomplishment to date.

Is that really something to be proud of?

There has been literally no progress since Shanahan fired Lou. The best anyone can say is that the team hasn't gone backwards. They certainly aren't any better than before Dubas took over.

At this point I think it is very clear why Shanahan needs to be fired as well.

It's the best thing that could happen for this franchise. His tenure has been a major disappointment. Broken promises, lowered expectations, and failed dreams are not an accomplishment of which to be proud.

I can do that myself.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
This -->

wizard_of_oz_tinman_heart_poster-race311dc7e5f4a8d99294750d470ec89_wad_8byvr_512.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Eric bungay

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I think its fine he treated people good but....what is the goal here?
To create an environment that players want to be apart of.

For some reason, the idea of a team having a culture that protects & welcomes families, makes players feel supported, and staff feel like their ideas are heard and valued as people and not just organizational assets, makes people feel very uncomfortable.

What the Leafs have been able to offer players off the ice away from the game, is something several of them have talked about for some time now. You don't get what the Leafs do, at every organization.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
To create an environment that players want to be apart of.

For some reason, the idea of a team having a culture that protects & welcomes families, makes players feel supported, and staff feel like their ideas are heard and valued as people and not just organizational assets, makes people feel very uncomfortable.

What the Leafs have been able to offer players off the ice away from the game, is something several of them have talked about for some time now. You don't get what the Leafs do, at every organization.
I dont feel uncomfortable at all so not sure where you are getting that idea. Sure, its great to create an environment that you listed but at the end of the day Im not paying big bucks or spending my time watching the leafs because the players feel comfortable and their families are happy.

You can be a loving/caring parent but it doesnt mean you have to cater to the kids every whim and spoil them rotten.

Reactions: Boxscore

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
what team out there is not welcoming families? And who are the Leafs "protecting" families from? Drug lords?

=

Reactions: myleafs

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I dont feel uncomfortable at all so not sure where you are getting that idea. Sure, its great to create an environment that you listed but at the end of the day Im not paying big bucks or spending my time watching the leafs because the players feel comfortable and their families are happy.

You spend the big bucks & spend your time watching the Leafs because you want them to win - fostering the right sort of atmosphere helps attract better players and keep your best players here.

Think about the number of dysfunctional organizations that have made nonsense moves and been embroiled in controversy or toxicity over the past several years - that didn't happen here. That's worth more than you give credit for

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
A GM who isn’t so emotionally attached to his players. Your attitude, work ethic and on and off ice contribution dictate if you’re kept here. Not verbal promises that you won’t get traded as long as you’re the GM.

Reactions: myleafs

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
play faster in the playoffs. Every year there are numerous random players who look more threatening than our stars and I think it's because they attack attack attack while our stars curl around with the puck trying "set up the offence". I think that's why Knies stood out so much he kept attacking while our stars did not.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Trade for Tom Wilson, sign Domi, Schenn and Acciari. That should be a start.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
The rogers/bell dynamic has always been an odd one. No one really knows what happens at MLSE board meetings but one can assume it may be toxic, why not avoid the concept in its entirety and skip steps, lord knows if the leafs ever hit the Market there would be plenty of individual suitors

myleafs

May 25, 2021
You spend the big bucks & spend your time watching the Leafs because you want them to win - fostering the right sort of atmosphere helps attract better players and keep your best players here.

Think about the number of dysfunctional organizations that have made nonsense moves and been embroiled in controversy or toxicity over the past several years - that didn't happen here. That's worth more than you give credit for
Right, I want them to win so thats what I am saying....its all great that everyone is kumbya but the product on the ice is what Im most interested in and I have not been thrilled with the direction of the team for a little while now.

So Im supposed to be grateful that Dubas treated people with respect but ignore the on ice product? Fostering the right kind of atmosphere....you mean entitled? cause thats what I see. I see players taking and given everything and the same players dont stick up for themselves or each other or show up when things get hard. Thats not a team atmosphere I agree with and IMO, not one that can win.

I bought into what Dubas was selling when he arrived and I liked the good guy persona at first but what it has produced doesnt sit well with me. We have star players who half the fanbase dislike.....why is that? Its not that they lose, its the way they lose and their reactions and quotes after they lose that turns people off. Entitled and selfish is how they come across to me with no awareness or sense of responsibility. Is that the right kind of atmosphere?

Last edited:
Reactions: weems

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
play faster in the playoffs. Every year there are numerous random players who look more threatening than our stars and I think it's because they attack attack attack while our stars curl around with the puck trying "set up the offence". I think that's why Knies stood out so much he kept attacking while our stars did not.

Agreed faster faster faster. We had zero ability to make Florida play our game, in every game Florida was opportunistic or dictated the pace and style of game WE played. It's great to have skill but skill without gamers (who are 1st or 2nd liners) on those top two lines, makes Marner, Nylander and Matty meaningless in the playoffs. The career cemetery is littered with the failed hopes and dreams of highly skilled players who just didn't outcompete their opponents in the playoffs. It comes down to compete not a skill competition

Knies stood out because he did not belong there.. He had something like 4 points in 7 games, which is kinda great for a kid with less than 2 weeks experience but lets be honest the kid was relying on sheer skill and fear and had no freaking clue what he was doing out there, he looked like a fish out of water.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Right, I want them to win so thats what I am saying....its all great that everyone is kumbya but the product on the ice is what Im most interested in and I have not been thrilled with the direction of the team for a little while now.

So Im supposed to be grateful that Dubas treated people with respect but ignore the on ice product? Fostering the right kind of atmosphere....you mean entitled? cause thats what I see. I see players taking and given everything and the same players dont stick up for themselves or each other or show up when things get hard. Thats not a team atmosphere I agree with and IMO, not one that can win.

I bought into what Dubas was selling when he arrived and I liked the good guy persona at first but what it has produced doesnt sit well with me. We have star players who half the fanbase dislike.....why is that? Its not that they lose, its the way they lose and their reactions and quotes after they lose that turns people off. Entitled and selfish is how they come across to me with no awareness or sense of responsibility. Is that the right kind of atmosphere?
have this fanbase hated Sundin because he wasn't Wendal, half of this fanbase hated Kessel because he looked "fat", half this fanbase booed Larry Murphy out of town, Half this fanbase would hate a Stanley cup victory if it wasn't done the way they wanted

myleafs

May 25, 2021
have this fanbase hated Sundin because he wasn't Wendal, half of this fanbase hated Kessel because he looked "fat", half this fanbase booed Larry Murphy out of town, Half this fanbase would hate a Stanley cup victory if it wasn't done the way they wanted
lol when you put it that way, your not far off the truth....except the last part...I think a cup is what unites all us leaf fans with differing opinions once and for all......at least for a little while.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It may seem that way but I don’t think it’s anywhere close to half.
Those who know the least tend to yell the loudest, IMO.

Reactions: WillNy29

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

When you have proven winners like ROR and Schenn praising the culture and atmosphere around the team, I think we can debunk the idea that it's one of entitlement.

Hate on the stars all you want - it's fair game to go after them. I just don't think that the culture around the team is anywhere close to what you think it is.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I find that very hard to believe after 56 years of futility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad