What’s the team need?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
have this fanbase hated Sundin because he wasn't Wendal, half of this fanbase hated Kessel because he looked "fat", half this fanbase booed Larry Murphy out of town, Half this fanbase would hate a Stanley cup victory if it wasn't done the way they wanted
I disagree but point taken.

Some fans initially resented Mats because we traded beloved Wendel to acquire him. After a couple of years, the large majority of fans loved Sundin.

Some fans disliked Kessel because he couldn't win anything significant and he admittedly never took conditioning seriously. I do think Kessel took a hair more heat than maybe he should have -- he did try and came up big on occasion.

Murphy was the weird one. He just wasn't the right fit in Toronto like he was in Pittsburgh or Detroit, surrounded by elite talent.

However, if the Leafs win a Cup, every fan on the planet will be ecstatic, regardless of how they do it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This team needs Matthews to be an elite shooter again. 17% the past three seasons approx... 12% this year, 10% in the playoffs.

If Matthews can't return to 17%, and can't replicate that in the playoffs, nothing else even matters.

Reactions: myleafs and ToneDog

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Name 4 traits the leafs have none of for 400 jim

Could Burkie have been right? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ...

have this fanbase hated Sundin because he wasn't Wendal, half of this fanbase hated Kessel because he looked "fat", half this fanbase booed Larry Murphy out of town, Half this fanbase would hate a Stanley cup victory if it wasn't done the way they wanted

I think you are right at the beginning of the trade but Sundin won most of us over by the end of his run with us.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Sundin won most of us over by the end of his run with us.
Sundin won us over within two seasons, especially considering how he was a consistent superstar and Wendel began his decline. Wendel also returned.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
lol when you put it that way, your not far off the truth....except the last part...I think a cup is what unites all us leaf fans with differing opinions once and for all......at least for a little while.
tbh I don't care how they do I don't care if they play butter soft and win the cup I don't care if they're getting outshot 50-5 all the way to a cup just f***ing win its so tiresome seeing so much polarity in this fanbase we went from a massive high as a group after game 6 to hating everyone and each other its so frustrating

Sundin won us over within two seasons, especially considering how he was a consistent superstar and Wendel began his decline. Wendel also returned.
I don't know about that I'm 32 and I remember a lot of under the breath murmurs from the lowest IQ group among us about Sundin

Reactions: Boxscore

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
This team needs an enema.

A purging of what ails it. Preferably starting with ownership. They're the ones more concerned with making bank than winning cups.

This is all Tanenbaum's fault.

That loser sat by and watched for years while Dubas and Shanahan plunged the team into mediocrity. Remaining "fantastically supportive" of them the whole time. Lack of accountability has led to the country club being wiiiiide open again.

"We can and we will" has dissolved into "We can, but don't want to" as a result.

Maybe Tanenbaum just sees the futility and has given up on the dream of winning a cup. He figures there's no point in even trying to ice a contending team anymore. He's happy with being an easy pass to the second round.

What an absolute embarrassment of an owner.

Loser.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I don't know about that I'm 32 and I remember a lot of under the breath murmurs from the lowest IQ group among us about Sundin
Crazy. Then again, I am in Philly, so maybe some of the Torontonians hated Mats. What a player that guy was.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Tanenbaum either needs to fire his friends or sell the team.

This team never fails to let me down in letting me down. They're reliable like an old pickup truck. You can always count on them.

To screw it up somehow.

Usually in even more embarassing fashion than last. Some things never get old. It's always fun watching this trainwreck of a team go off the tracks.

Tanenbaum is easily one of the most dishonest men in the entire Toronto sporting community. Flattery and empty promises about delivering to "the greatest fan base in the world" a "successful playoffs team" to make us "proud" mean nothing. Either Tanenbaum is a liar or a failure.

There is no other choice.

When someone places friendship ahead of the team he owns, it tells the customers ownership doesn't have their best interest at heart. They are putting private relationships first. The "public trust" that ML$E claims to have with the fans has been broken.

They've let everybody down as a result.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
This team needs Matthews to be an elite shooter again. 17% the past three seasons approx... 12% this year, 10% in the playoffs.

If Matthews can't return to 17%, and can't replicate that in the playoffs, nothing else even matters.

This team need to find a way to win when matthews/ marner line cant score...number of win last 2 year when 1st line didnt scored ? 0

Try to name me 1 winning team who cant win any game without his 1st line on scoresheet

The solution probably start with D group and goaltending

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This team need to find a way to win when matthews/ marner line cant score...number of win last 2 year when 1st line didnt scored ? 0

Try to name me 1 winning team who cant win any game without his 1st line on scoresheet

The solution probably start with D group and goaltending

What???

The team needs to find a way to win, and score... when Matthews and Marner don't score? So... we need more goals... so we fix needing more goals, through the D group and goaltending?

That's some gymnastics there.

Look at that top of top scoring leaders in playoffs.... Tkachuk, Eichel, Marchessault.... you need your best players to be your best players.... It's that simple. The guys paid to score goals... they need to score goals. When it counts.

I don't even know what that second sentence is trying to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: myleafs

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017
All very interesting, and you can see the skepticism jumping off the screen. I am in the camp of more cap space, but there is something more specific to consider. One thing we need that no one seems to see is more distributed scoring across lines, not this "Top 6" vs. "Bottom 6" yawning gulf. It is the main weakness of this team, but it is also a subtle downstream problem so people don't see it. I am tired of guys who skate hard, forecheck, etc, but never score. We need a stronger third line. Look at other teams 3rd and 4th lines in this playoff: there is real impact there, actual goals, not just "energy".

To get there, trade Matthews and Marner, for this reason. Everyone needs to see first that the main issue is the concentration of salary in too few players. Think about Matthews and Marner's next contract --- 13, 14 million each? There is the problem. It is not addressing the main issue at all to keep them here, and actually makes things worse, with even less money to spend on top forwards. Makes no sense. Give up on it. Teams with salaries over 10 million don't win. Guys DO take team discounts, because they actually want to win and they can do the math. Instead, trade M and M and get back 4 top players in the 6 to 7 million range on average. If it is the right players, the team will be better.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
This team needs some size and meanness on D. Gonna be interesting to see the starting D next year now that Treliving on board. I'd start by signing Mayfield July 1st.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
What???

The team needs to find a way to win, and score... when Matthews and Marner don't score? So... we need more goals... so we fix needing more goals, through the D group and goaltending?

Look at that up at the top of scoring leaders in playoffs.... Tkachuk, Eichel, Marchessault.... you need your best players to be your best players.... It's that simple. The guys paid to score goals... they need to score goals. When it counts.

Get offensive from D

When leafs was the most dangerous in playoff? Every time rielly was on the ice...outside if Rielly, leafs dont have any d who can contribute offensivly without being completly trash defensivly...

Rielly created mismatch and the rest of D pratically none and thats why leafs was so good offensivly with rielly and so trash without

And go ahead take tkachuk how many game florida won without any Tkachuk help vs leafs? Half

How many goal Tkachuk would score if Bobrovaky is not completly phenomenal gm 1 and 2 against Caroline ? If Brobrovski is not there they didn't scored in 4th OT and a second one in Ot gm 2... Florida would lose 2-0 without any point from Tkachuk and we dont talk the same way about him right now... Its HOW A GOALIE can change everything and help you to score 1 more goal

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The team needs to play like a team. Stick up for eachother, push-back, show some damn pride, JT getting abused and face-washed and everyone skates away is not a team
I can't see it when none of your leaders have any interest in getting their hands dirty or hate losing as much as much as they love making money. It truly is a sad thing for the fans.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
This team needs some size and meanness on D. Gonna be interesting to see the starting D next year now that Treliving on board. I'd start by signing Mayfield July 1st.

And how you create offensive on 3rd/4th.. you need D being involve offensivly to create mismatch... but at the same time you dont want a guy who will put you in trouble defensivly most of the time like it was the case with Sandin or Gustafsson...

I think it was probably the biggest issus from Dubas era, difficulty to find D who can contribute both side of the ice.

Changing coach eith someone who will involve D much more offensivly can also help leafs that way.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Get offensive from D

When leafs was the most dangerous in playoff? Every time rielly was on the ice...outside if Rielly, leafs dont have any d who can contribute offensivly without being completly trash defensivly...

Rielly created mismatch and the rest of D pratically none and thats why leafs was so good offensivly with rielly and so trash without

And go ahead take tkachuk how many game florida won without any Tkachuk help vs leafs? Half

How many goal Tkachuk would score if Bobrovaky is not completly phenomenal gm 1 and 2 against Caroline ? If Brobrovski is not there they didn't scored in 4th OT and a second one in Ot gm 2... Florida would lose 2-0 without any point from Tkachuk and we dont talk the same way about him right now... Its HOW A GOALIE can change everything and help you to score 1 more goal

I do agree this has become a big problem. Our offensive contribution from the backend is extremely poor

Reactions: ToneDog

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Our fan base both wants to get bigger and more physical from the back end, and more offense. You don't get both from the same D. For what it's worth, Timmins might provide the offense, he showed he had that in limited time. Our size is actually pretty decent.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Tanenbaum either needs to fire his friends or sell the team.

This team never fails to let me down in letting me down. They're reliable like an old pickup truck. You can always count on them.

To screw it up somehow.

Usually in even more embarassing fashion than last. Some things never get old. It's always fun watching this trainwreck of a team go off the tracks.

Tanenbaum is easily one of the most dishonest men in the entire Toronto sporting community. Flattery and empty promises about delivering to "the greatest fan base in the world" a "successful playoffs team" to make us "proud" mean nothing. Either Tanenbaum is a liar or a failure.

There is no other choice.

When someone places friendship ahead of the team he owns, it tells the customers ownership doesn't have their best interest at heart. They are putting private relationships first. The "public trust" that ML$E claims to have with the fans has been broken.

They've let everybody down as a result.
Someone (sorry I forget who) put the list of series wins by all of the leafs gm's since 67 and it was pretty eye opening. Yikes it was bad like holy shit bad. The leafs have been really bad for a very long time. Not just since Tanenbaum.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

myleafs

May 25, 2021
What???

Look at that top of top scoring leaders in playoffs.... Tkachuk, Eichel, Marchessault.... you need your best players to be your best players.... It's that simple. The guys paid to score goals... they need to score goals. When it counts.

And thats been the issue every year with our top guys. Not sure how many more times or ways we can move the chairs around on the titanic before figuring out its not the chairs that are the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad