What’s the team need?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
The team needs more Matthew Tkachuck and Sam Bennet and Radko Gudas.

You know, the players who disappear offensively for multiple games in a row, play mediocre defense, escape being penalized for hitting other players in the head repeatedly, and then get themselves kicked out of the game when things start going poorly.

All while relying on a peak Hasek to barely win 1 goal games.

That's what this team needs.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
More Golden Knights, less Leafs ? Sad that they were founded in 2017, made the playoffs 5 times and won 10 rounds and looks to be about to win it all this year.. and the Leafs..... hmm.

Reactions: horner and ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

You know, the players who disappear offensively for multiple games in a row, play mediocre defense, escape being penalized for hitting other players in the head repeatedly, and then get themselves kicked out of the game when things start going poorly.

You mean the same Matthew Tkachuk, Sam Bennett and Radko Gudas who fight tooth and nail against better competition, beat the #1, #2 and #4 seeds in the East and are currently in the SCF, as the 8th seed in the East and were barely a playoff team?? Yeah, we don't need more of these players. We need more chicken shit, overpaid losers who prefer the beach and golfing in May and June.

P.S. I don't hear any mention of Hasek from Vegas fans.

horner

May 22, 2007
You mean the same Matthew Tkachuk, Sam Bennett and Radko Gudas who fight tooth and nail against better competition, beat the #1, #2 and #4 seeds in the East and are currently in the SCF, as the 8th seed in the East and were barely a playoff team?? Yeah, we don't need more of these players. We need more chicken shit, overpaid losers who prefer the beach and golfing in May and June.

I would rather have a team that gives there all than pure skill and soft.
Seattle is a perfect example of a team that never stop . Hit block shot fight tooth and nail .
They play a system or systems that won them games .
Give me that team than a team with 4 star players.

Reactions: myleafs and ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I would rather have a team that gives there all than pure skill and soft.
Seattle is a perfect example of a team that never stop . Hit block shot fight tooth and nail .
They play a system or systems that won them games .
Give me that team than a team with 4 star players.
Our 4 star players have proven they play for the money. They got their money, they have nothing to play for.

Evidence. Matty and Willie were playing for their next contract last year. Unmotivated Matty scores 20 fewer goals and 20 fewer points than the previous year. Willie was putting up career numbers neading into the new year and then disappears, re-emerges only to disappear after the trade deal line.
Why ?? Both know they will get what they want once again. Term, AAV, bonuses, NMC. Tre needs not to be Dumbas and get bent over. Can't wait to see whether he is a cock or a peacock.

Reactions: myleafs and horner

horner

May 22, 2007
Our 4 star players have proven they play for the money. They got their money, they have nothing to play for.

Evidence. Matty and Willie were playing for their next contract last year. Unmotivated Matty scores 20 fewer goals and 20 fewer points than the previous year. Willie was putting up career numbers neading into the new year and then disappears, re-emerges only to disappear after the trade deal line.
Why ?? Both know they will get what they want once again. Term, AAV, bonuses, NMC. Tre needs not to be Dumbas and get bent over. Can't wait to see whether he is a cock or a peacock.
What do you think would happen if we traded the core 4..
Which I think may happen next yr 2 yrs to late.
This should have happened last yr when we came up short in the playoffs.

We need a team that stands up for one another from the top player to the last player.

Reactions: myleafs and ToneDog
Sep 18, 2009
I would ask bettman if the leafs can become an expansion team and enter the expansion draft like vegas

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My default remedy for any team that feels like it's at a bit of a dead end is they need to adopt more of a Pack Rat mentality and enable guys farther down the lineup to take more ownership of their role as Maple Leafs. Treliving alluded to it as much with his talk about the 23 guys. I think the only way you make the Core 4 work is you have to enable everyone else to feel invested in the Maple Leafs and not the track suits on an NBA bench here for a cameo.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
My default remedy for any team that feels like it's at a bit of a dead end is they need to adopt more of a Pack Rat mentality and enable guys farther down the lineup to take more ownership of their role as Maple Leafs. Treliving alluded to it as much with his talk about the 23 guys. I think the only way you make the Core 4 work is you have to enable everyone else to feel invested in the Maple Leafs and not the track suits on an NBA bench here for a cameo.
Completely agree. But on a budget it's hard to sign 23 players who can lead by example and contribute enough to move the Core. But, yes, there needs to be an injection of "I'm proud to be a Leaf" inside the room.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Probably needs one of Tavares or Marner (11 million dollar players) to become two 5.5 million players, if not two of them. I just finished rewatching game 3 vs Florida and Kampf was more noticeable than Marner in all facets of the game. Oreilly looked 4x the player than Marner.

Both Marner and Nylander avoided physical play entirely. Marner may be more so than Nylander. They both go out of there way to avoid contact though. They forecheck but once the puck is in a corner they blow by, they don't engage in board battles, don't throw hits, don't block shots, don't go to the front of the opponents net... Seeing everyone battling and watching Marner coasting around the open areas is disgusting to watch back.

Nylander was bearable because on offense he actually was a stand out among both teams. His acceleration allowed him to quickly transition the puck, and he is also able to do things at high speed. At least he looked like a 11 million-dollar player with the puck.

Marner looked like crap altogether. His combination of fear of physical play and pathetic acceleration makes him useless out there. The puck died on his stick... No debate, not even close.. Once he had the puck he had no options and was giving the puck away everywhere. It's shocking that Keefe kept him with Matthews the entire game. I don't know if Marner could've helped any line... He was just completely useless out there.

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Probably needs one of Tavares or Marner (11 million dollar players) to become two 5.5 million players, if not two of them. I just finished rewatching game 3 vs Florida and Kampf was more noticeable than Marner in all facets of the game. Oreilly looked 4x the player than Marner.

Both Marner and Nylander avoided physical play entirely. Marner may be more so than Nylander. They both go out of there way to avoid contact though. They forecheck but once the puck is in a corner they blow by, they don't engage in board battles, don't throw hits, don't block shots, don't go to the front of the opponents net... Seeing everyone battling and watching Marner coasting around the open areas is disgusting to watch back.

Nylander was bearable because on offense he actually was a stand out among both teams. His acceleration allowed him to quickly transition the puck, and he is also able to do things at high speed. At least he looked like a 11 million-dollar player with the puck.

Marner looked like crap altogether. His combination of fear of physical play and pathetic acceleration makes him useless out there. The puck died on his stick... No debate, not even close.. Once he had the puck he had no options and was giving the puck away everywhere. It's shocking that Keefe kept him with Matthews the entire game. I don't know if Marner could've helped any line... He was just completely useless out there.
There's short memories in Leafs nation but I'll never forget that game 3 from Marner. Season on the line and all he can muster up is 0 offense and like 30 horrible turnovers. Completely f***ing embarrassing. The kid's general history of performances in series deciding games is hilariously awful.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I mean its pretty obvious what we need. A #1 D man. Need to bump Rielly to #2 and Brodie to #3. But thats not gonna happen and if we subtract Marner from the equation to get that its gonna hurt us in other ways.

If you could magically turn Tavares into a #1 d man that would be ideal for this team. Maybe just have to wait until he expires and sign one.

Reactions: arso40

myleafs

May 25, 2021

yep weird take to slag the guys that play the way they do and dragged their team to the finals.

• Love
Reactions: ToneDog

horner

May 22, 2007
Revisionist history
The year we gave up a 1 st rd pk to get rid of Marleau .
I said back then we should have kept and traded a couple of other players and taken a down year.
Well we had a down year anyways and ended up with 81 pts that year .
We have stupid management.
Remer when we gave up a 1st for kurvers the next bobby Orr.
That pick Scott Niedermayer

horner

May 22, 2007

The funny thing is tkachuck should have been the 2 pick in the mathews draft year.
It doesn't always pay to draft 1st.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Ffs, you can’t win with top heavy. Vegas is built with depth everywhere. Leafs will never win with the top heavy structure they have.
Their D is so good, they are going to win the SC with their #4,#5?? starting goalie. We are trying to win the SC with Holl, a burnt out Gio, a declining Brodie and a young dman who made some poor mental mistakes.

Reactions: myleafs

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
The funny thing is tkachuck should have been the 2 pick in the mathews draft year.
It doesn't always pay to draft 1st.
he would've been run out of town for playoff chokes here too...and then gone and done what he's done in florida (0 goals in round 2 and lackadaisical and undisciplined final too bookend a good series where his goalie stood on his head)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Lots of fans wanted Bennett and Gudas when it appeared they were available, they would have been excellent pickups.
Tkachuk was never a realistic possibility.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017

Why cant more people see this. Blatantly obvious...

Reactions: ToneDog

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Lots of fans wanted Bennett and Gudas when it appeared they were available, they would have been excellent pickups.
Tkachuk was never a realistic possibility.
Acciari and Schenn were just as good this year.

Outside of the high hits, the late hits, the blatant interference, what exactly did those 2 do better?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad