Speculation: West Standings This Year

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
How do people see the west going this year?

I personally think the same teams will make it but just a different order.

Only teams that I think improved are Edmonton, Nashville, Utah and Chicago. Some teams will see bumps from prospects.

I think Edmonton and Dallas will be strong.

1. Edmonton
2. Vegas
3. Vancouver (I could see Van ahead of Veg)
WC: Los Angeles

1. Dallas
2. Colorado
3. Nashville
Wc: Winnipeg

History shows that one team will come out of nowhere. Last year was Vancouver and Seattle the year before. Only team I could see is Utah this year.

Last edited:

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
How do people see the west going this year?

I personally think the same teams will make it but just a different order.

Only teams that I think improved are Edmonton, Nashville, Utah and Chicago. Some teams will see bumps from prospects.

I think Edmonton and Dallas will be strong.

1. Edmonton
2. Vegas
3. Vancouver
WC: Los Angeles

1. Dallas
2. Colorado
3. Nashville
Wc: Winnipeg

History shows that one team will come out of nowhere. Last year was Vancouver and Seattle the year before. Only team I could see is Utah this year.

Oilers (hopefully)
Colorado
Vegas
Nashville
Dallas
Utah
WC 1 LA
WC 2 Seattle

Winnipeg has an injury plagued.

:laugh: Vancouver shows how much PDO actually matters and falls out of the race early with scoring issues.

Edit realized I missed a team :facepalm: I guess the Vegas karma will have to wait a year or two:laugh:

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Pacific

1. Edmonton Oilers

Knoblauch had the Oilers clicking with a 46-18-5 record for 97 points in 69 games. Over the course of an entire 82 game season that's a 115 point season. Add in that the Oilers adding two veteran top 6 wingers and a full year of Henrique and I think the Oilers are easily the favourite for the division.

2. Vancouver Canucks

The Canucks were one of the leagues best teams even before the big additions in Lindholm and Zadorov. Neither player was overly productive in the regular season. A full year of Jake Debrusk is a solid addition for Pettersson. A healthy Demko will be huge for them as well. Having said that they lost some depth and I expect some regression.

3. Vegas Golden Knights

Losing two of their top 5 scorers in Marchessault and Stephensen will hurt. I'm not the biggest Hertl fan but to me hes a downgrade. A full year of Hanifn is nice but I think they miss some depth guys in Amadio, Potter, and even Martinez. Vegas just simply lacks depth at the wing position and it's going to be hard for them to score.

4. Los Angeles

The Kings were able to move on from Dubois which was a huge problem. I think Kuemper looks good behind that defensive team. However replacing Matt Roy and Viktor Arvidsson with Edmundson and Foegele is a step back. Kings are a good regular season team. Clarke and Turcotte need to take big steps forward.

5. Seattle Kraken

The Kraken are better this year than last year but still don't scare anyone. Stephensen and Montour and both solid but overpaid. The Kraken still lack game breakers. They will continue to need scoring by Committee and will be a good regular season team. They seem to be a very streaky team and rely heavily on the play of their goaltending which is still too inconsistent.

6. Anaheim Ducks

This might surprise some people but I think Anaheim underperformed last year. I think they will still make a few more moves to try and improve. Carlsson looks great and I think they might be a little better than we think. I have more faith in Anaheims goaltending to hide some holes than I do with the next two teams.

7. Calgary Flames

This team is heading in one direction and that's the bottom. I think we continue to see guys get traded and demanding out. The flames are fulling embracing the rebuild and I don't see ownership weaponizing cap space or using it to improve. The flames only have 2 NHL dmen and no proven starter.

8. San Jose Sharks

Their team kind of reminds me of the Oilers with a bunch of young talented forwards but not much else. I like that they brought in some vets the same way Chicago is doing. Having said that they were just THAT bad last year that even with their improvements they will be the bottom of the division.

Central
1. Dallas Stars

I don't really like some of the moves the stars made this offseason. Bringing in Dumba and Lyubushkin wasnt great but it's not like they had Tanev all season. They also lost Pavelski but with Stankoven and Bourque they should still be competitive. Even though they are a little worse I still think they have the best depth in the Central.

2. Colorado Avalanche

The core for the Avs is still their. They are kinda screwed right now with the whole Nuke situation but I still think their top end talent is good enough to carry the rest of the roster. A full season of Mittelstadt will be huge for them.

3. Nashville Predators

The predators obviously are much better with the offseason they had. Adding Stamkos, Marchessault and Skjei is huge for them. They did lose McDonaugh but not much else. I really like the balance now in Nashville and see them firmly as a playoff team and maybe more.

4. Winnipeg Jets

I think they overachieved a bit last year. They will still be a solid regular season but didn't get any better since last year. Losing Dillon and Schmidt will hurt a bit and same with Monahan. Maybe I'm selling them short but I just think their stuck in mid and Hellebuyck won't let them be any worse than this.

5. St. Louis Blues

is their any team more mid than the blues? The refuse to rebuild and are pretty much stuck in mid because of their inability to make moves from all rhr NTCs handed out. I don't think they finish any worse than this and continue to try and push for the playoffs with pretty much the same group.

6. Utah Hockey Club

They added Sergachev and Marino which are big adds. I think their is a lot more excitement as well so they will play well. The problem is that the group probably over achieved last year. I still don't think they are good enough to be a playoff team but improved overall.

7. Minnesota

Minnesota on paper doesnt look great. They are going to rely heavily on Faber, JEE, Boldy and Kaprizov. I just dont see the depth to do a lot of damage. Minnesota IMO is a team that will take a big step back next season.

8. Chicago Blackhawks

I liked the adds they made to try and support Bedard. Turbo and Bertuzzi will add a lot to that team. I think Martinez and Brodie will be okay for them but not great. Still a lot of work to do for the hawks to be competitive but will be better than last year for sure. They will steal some games from teams from working hard and some Bedard magic.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Still way too early too predict accurately as Winnipeg will be making a lot of changes, I suspect Vegas isn’t done, and lots more up in the air still.

That said Edm and Dal first in their divisions seems reasonable right now. Vcr and Vegas the other 2 Pacific playoff teams. Col and Nsh the two in the Central. I think Utah and Wpg might be the two WC teams squeezing out Sea and the Kings.

Last edited:

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
I agree with @McDoused list except dropping Cancuks to 4th and lifting LA to 3rd.

Chicago can end up with higher points than Lames and Sharks, but is bottom 3 in West anyway.

Reactions: McDoused

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hopefully the Oilers try and win the conference (and potentially the presidents trophy) this season.

Home ice advantage would have been big in the finals. Three extra wins last season and Edmonton would have had home ice against Florida.

Instead we were starting on the road every series after the first round.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Pacific:

1. Oilers - it's a failure and/or a self inflicted wound if we don't finish 1st. We have the best roster hands down.

2. Nucks - sadly I think they finish 2nd because the division stinks. They won't finish with near the points they finished with last year though.

3. Kings - They're basically the same team as the last few years, so I think they will land in their natural spot in 3rd place.

4. Vegas - Their lineup kind of stinks now, and almost all of their good players are complete band aids, whether it is being LTIR milked or not. If they make the playoffs it will be in the last wild card spot if at all.

5. Kraken - Could easily finish ahead of the Knights, especially if they shoot the lights out again. It's a toss up between the two IMO.

6. Ducks - garbage, but have some scoring talent that should theoretically win them some games.

7. Flames - garbage, but now with a shit defense that they can't tell themselves is the "best in the West/league" for the first time in about a decade. With that shit defence back stopped by a Wolf/Vladar net minding combo they will give up goals by the bushel.

8. Sharks - still one of the worst rosters I've ever seen

Central:

1. Stars - the best team in the division top to bottom, and can expect some growth from their young talent to take another step

2. Predators - had all the ingredients except scoring, but now they have that too. Could see them finishing above the Stars even, I'm bullish about them.

3. Avalanche - They're now basically a 3 player team, but the 3 players are good enough to win them games on their own a la 2019-21 Oilers. Similar to the Oilers of that era, they won't get anywhere in the playoffs without major additions.

4. Jets - same old team, but they tend to follow up a good year with a shitty year. They over achieved last year so I think there will be a correction. Could finish ahead of the Avalanche if they continue to get goals and Hellebyuck stands on his head

5. Blues - the definition of mediocre in all areas, so that's where they will finish. Better goaltending than the other poor teams around them pushes them ahead.

6. Utah - could see them finishing as high as 4th if everything goes right. Massively upgraded on defence, but don't like their goaltending at all. Could easily see them be the Nucks/Kraken of past years that make it in out of nowhere because they feel good about themselves and ride a PDO train.

7. Wild - same shitty roster with Kaprizov and then everyone else

8. Blackhawks - still a shitty team

Overall I think the conference is much weaker, the Pacific especially. Could be a year where 2nd in the Pacific gives you a better 1st round matchup than 1st in the Conference like it was last year.

Reactions: McDoused

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'd like to think the Oilers learned a REAL lesson this playoffs. I've heard Stauffer talk about how that game 7 is likely a win if the Oilers played it at home. To which I agree with. So what's the lesson?

I've said it before and I'll keep preaching this. The Oilers will win the cup when they find their best game without being down first. They have to stop the Rocky Balboa approach.

They go down early in the Season.
They go down early playoff Series

This year the regular season started off a 5 star disaster.

They actually showed some signs of changing things by winning game 1's against L.A and Dallas.
But in the end the only series they were never behind in was the L.A series.

This team needs to take the bull by the horns before it starts bucking. Because every year they go up against a team that they can't complete the Rocky Balboa comeback against.

On paper the Oilers should win the division.
Will they need a slap to the face to find their "game" again? God I hope not.

Reactions: Sra1974 and K1984

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'd like to think the Oilers learned a REAL lesson this playoffs. I've heard Stauffer talk about how that game 7 is likely a win if the Oilers played it at home. To which I agree with. So what's the lesson?

I've said it before and I'll keep preaching this. The Oilers will win the cup when they find their best game without being down first. They have to stop the Rocky Balboa approach.

They go down early in the Season.
They go down early playoff Series

This year the regular season started off a 5 star disaster.

They actually showed some signs of changing things by winning game 1's against L.A and Dallas.
But in the end the only series they were never behind in was the L.A series.

This team needs to take the bull by the horns before it starts bucking. Because every year they go up against a team that they can't complete the Rocky Balboa comeback against.

On paper the Oilers should win the division.
Will they need a slap to the face to find their "game" again? God I hope not.

I thought last year was the year they would have learned this lesson, but didn't. Even generally in the series you mention, we didn't actually start dictating the games and really playing to our full potential until Game 4. Other than the Kings series where we could get away with being a little uneven, we frankly mostly played like shit in Games 1-3 in every other series before we got out of our own way.

Woodcroft ran casual camps in '22 and '23 and we got off to garbage starts in both seasons as a result. I think this group needs to be beaten down a bit in September this year and worked hard so we can avoid the la de da October - December approach this team seems to start every season with.

We didn't get home ice in both '23 and '24 playoffs for no reason other than we weren't prepared to start the season and in both instances I think it is a major reason why we lost. Can't happen again.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Really interested to see what Henrique accomplishes this season. Arvidson and Skinner as well. Nice they all chose Edmonton and took less to do so.

The Nuge and Hyman low AAV helps big time.

Don't be surprised when a healthy Kane scores 20 for the 10th time in his career.

Nurse will be good if they find the right partner for him. That fast puck mover might even end up being Broberg. Lots of veterans to help him including the super Swede.

Holloway mentored by Perry and Kane, he'll learn to play NHL center.

Maybe even Savoie makes it, on a McDavid Draisaitl Savoie line. Talk about fast tracking a young skilled players confidence.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Oilers
Preds
Stars
Avs
Kings
Knights
Jets
Blues

Wild
Canucks