Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
We already know Plan A was Marchessault going into the Summer.
Had we got him Waddell would have ultimately had to retain to move him IMO.
Could be they were after Zegras and/or McGroarty and decided they weren't going to get them for a reasonable price.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Could be they were after Zegras and/or McGroarty and decided they weren't going to get them for a reasonable price.
Possibly Zegras was another iron in the fire but the cost was always going to be prohibitive.
McGroarty wasn't stepping into a top 6 role IMO.
I'm not sure how much of an impact he would have actually made.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Would rather have Laine than Zegras, McGroarty or Marchessault so happy how it turned out.
A lot of unknowns. He is in the right place to shine if he wants to. Dach and Suzuki are quality centers.

Reactions: Guess

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Laine 8.7M$ Harris 1.4M$ so they save 7.3M$ this years and probably a bit less next year since Harris will need a Qualifing offer, also a player like Drouin make 2.5M$ so they are saving 5-6M$top and 6M$ is usually worth a late 1st round from team that think they can make the playoff (Toronto with Marleau / Calgary with Monahan) those player were not really expected to play, the CBJ pick is a 2nd rd but they aren't a playoff team and unlike the other exemple they also aren't spending to the limit or doing it to bring someone else in...
This can't be a win for CBJ they saved money, that isn't a good hockey move since they are rebuilding they need as many asset and picks as thhey can have, having too much unused cap space is useless.
Cap space is a asset but clearly some team have internal cap, they are paying GM/Coaches payed Laine bonus, they had other deals on the table but would of had to having to retain, that wasn't a option for them.

There is no down side since MTL have the cap space this year and even more next year. It is a GREAT trade the only question is if Laine is a GREAT/GOOD player. So for MTL the trade can only look better with Laine performing, which the opposite for the CBJ the trade can't be better than it is today, but it will get worst if Laine perform better.
Good points, but more paragraphs my friend 😄 my head hurts plowing through walls of text

Reactions: bsl

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Yeah , I like pascal , mais a moment donner la , c'est notre coach AHL , pascal a plus rien a avoir avec Laine. Even Kent was annoyed by the constant questions about what Pascal told him about laine
Given the way Kent was (not) talking about Pascal’s view, it’s pretty clear that he had good and bad things to tell Kent which he didn’t want to repeat to the media so he stood silent. That’s fine. We all know there are aspects of his game and mental state that he needs to improve. Don’t we all?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I get the feeling the man has a big ego, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he does exactly that. He shouldn’t, but he’s Marc Bergevin.

The guy stunk, maybe the worst GM in Habs history. Houle had an excuse, there was a mandate to cut costs. This idiot was trying to win.
@BehindTheTimes

I know you were a big Jordan Harris fan. How do you like the trade? Does getting Laine make up for losing Harris?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
CJB had 37 years old Jack Johnson on their 3rd LD pair for this season before getting Harris (no place at RHD thought) and they didn't want to bring back too much money. If Waddell made his need clear, the list was probably mostly young LHDs.

They have Werenski, Provorov, Mateychuk for LD

They certainly aren’t desperate for them

If the habs became interested recently, then Engels wasn't wrong when he said the habs did not have much interest in Laine.

Or could it be that teams weren ’t able to talk to Laine when he was in the program& he just recently got out of it

Tough to have Laine as part of the plan in june when teams had zero idea when would he get out, what Columbus will do with him and in what mind set is Laine in

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Fans: we wanted PLD, but we got better at just PL!
Hughes: you'll get the 'D' later.
Kent-Hughes-scaled.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad