Speculation: Dhaliwal: Canucks looking for veteran goalie as Demko remains injured.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Goalies that have been rumored to be on the trading block or could be available:

Remaining UFA market:
Kevin Lankinen - 29 yo
Martin Jones - 34 yo
Antti Raanta - 35 yo
Malcolm Subban - 30 yo
Alexander Samonov - 28 yo (KHL contract expired I believe?)

Likely Affordable Veterans in Trade:
Alex Lyon - DET - $900k x 1 - 31 yo
Matt Murray - TOR - $875k x 1 - 30 yo (could claim him on waivers?)
Dan Vladar - CGY - $2.2m x 1 - 27 yo (heard that 50% retention was offered by CGY but that was before Markstrom was moved out)

Either one of:
Kaapo Kahkonen - WPG - $1.0m x 1 - 28 yo
Eric Comrie - WPG- $825k x 2 - 29 yo

High Acquisition Cost Rookie
Yaroslav Askarov - NSH - $925k x 1 (RFA) - 22 yo

This group would require some salary going back the other way or some retention:
Filip Gustavsson - MIN - $3.75m x 2 - 26 yo
MacKenzie Blackwood - SJS - $2.35m x 1 - 27 yo (SJS cannot retain)
Ville Husso - DET - $4.75m x 1 - 29 yo (coming off multiple lower-body injuries)
Karel Vejmelka - UTA - $2.725m x 1 - 28 yo (trade rumor was shut down last year by Bill Armstrong)
Anton Forsberg - OTT - $2.75m x 1 - 31 yo
Vitek Vanecek - SJS - $3.4m x 1 - 28 yo (SJS cannot retain)
Cal Petterson - PHI $5.0m x 1 - 29 yo (10 team-NTC)

This group is/was "on the block" but complicated to consider for Vancouver beyond Demko's injury timeline:
John Gibson - ANA - $6.4m x 3 - 31 yo (10 team-NTC)
Tristan Jarry - PIT - $5.375m x 4 - 29 yo (12 team-NTC)
Elvis Merzlikins - CBJ - $5.4m x 3 - 30 yo (10 team-NTC)

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Goalies that have been rumored to be on the trading block or could be available:

Remaining UFA market:
Kevin Lankinen - 29 yo
Martin Jones - 34 yo
Antti Raanta - 35 yo
Malcolm Subban - 30 yo
Alexander Samonov - 28 yo (KHL contract expired I believe?)

Likely Affordable Veterans in Trade:
Alex Lyon - DET - $900k x 1 - 31 yo
Matt Murray - TOR - $875k x 1 - 30 yo (could claim him on waivers?)
Dan Vladar - CGY - $2.2m x 1 - 27 yo (heard that 50% retention was offered by CGY but that was before Markstrom was moved out)

Either one of:
Kaapo Kahkonen - WPG - $1.0m x 1 - 28 yo
Eric Comrie - WPG- $825k x 2 - 29 yo

High Acquisition Cost Rookie
Yaroslav Askarov - NSH - $925k x 1 (RFA) - 22 yo

This group would require some salary going back the other way or some retention:
Filip Gustavsson - MIN - $3.75m x 2 - 26 yo
MacKenzie Blackwood - SJS - $2.35m x 1 - 27 yo (SJS cannot retain)
Ville Husso - DET - $4.75m x 1 - 29 yo (coming off multiple lower-body injuries)
Karel Vejmelka - UTA - $2.725m x 1 - 28 yo (trade rumor was shut down last year by Bill Armstrong)
Anton Forsberg - OTT - $2.75m x 1 - 31 yo
Vitek Vanecek - SJS - $3.4m x 1 - 28 yo (SJS cannot retain)
Cal Petterson - PHI $5.0m x 1 - 29 yo (10 team-NTC)

This group is/was "on the block" but complicated to consider for Vancouver beyond Demko's injury timeline:
John Gibson - ANA - $6.4m x 3 - 31 yo (10 team-NTC)
Tristan Jarry - PIT - $5.375m x 4 - 29 yo (12 team-NTC)
Elvis Merzlikins - CBJ - $5.4m x 3 - 30 yo (10 team-NTC)

Lankinen and Lyon are the best options in this list considering role, cap hit, and acquisition cost.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Something seems a little off with this. It's reported that Demko is still not %100 - not that he has had a setback. That means that they would have been aware of the situation all along. This management group has been among the most aggressive in the league, so I find it odd that nothing has been done, if they are looking at starting the season for any considerable length of time with Silovs/Patera - who have a combined 25 NHL games played. I get the impression that they still think Demko will be ready for camp.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Didn't see much coverage here. Dhaliwal reporting, and a few publications have stories out now

Demko is reportedly still recovering from injury. Mixed rumours on whether he will be ready for camp.
Silovs looked good in the post-season, but Canucks may be looking for a veteran backup at minimum to support.

Who is available? The Canucks just picked up Ottawa's 4th round pick for Podkolzin, so that could be in play.
Enter Askarov

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
There is a very real chance vancouver misses the playoffs next year, they should probably load up on picks and get prepped for either a quick re-tool or rebuild.
Thats cute, are you saying this as an oilers fan or as a Canucks fan? I always get confused :sarcasm:

He's STILL injured? So those rumors about Demko possible being ready in the Edmonton series were just more ineffective waste of time mind games by Tocchet.
Mind games probably :naughty:

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Something seems a little off with this. It's reported that Demko is still not %100 - not that he has had a setback. That means that they would have been aware of the situation all along. This management group has been among the most aggressive in the league, so I find it odd that nothing has been done, if they are looking at starting the season for any considerable length of time with Silovs/Patera - who have a combined 25 NHL games played. I get the impression that they still think Demko will be ready for camp.
Most professional athletes have a nagging, persistent injury by the mid-point of their careers, whether it's back spasms, tendonitis, even arthritis is surprisingly common. In some cases these can become career ending, in others they can be easily worked through with physio, stretching, massage etc.

My guess is Demko has something like this and it's proving to be more serious than initially thought. The doctors, trainers, and even Demko may have all thought he'd be fine by now, told management as much, and they operated under that assumption.

Very murky situation overall, but the Canucks should be fine. In the second half of last year became a defensive juggernaut, Tocchet's coaching style and emphasis on protecting the middle of the ice is designed to be easy on goalies. I reckon Demko will be back, but I'd bet my life he gets less than 50 starts even if it's available for all 82.

Lankinen has gotta be the favorite. I bet he'll sign a cheap 1 year. Where else is he going to get a healthy number of starts on a good defensive team? Obviously no one is barging down his door this year, so why not raise your stock and try to cash in next year?

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Habs can move Primeau imho.

Not really, unless they want to throw Dobes to the wolves or go with unproven Hughes.

Or they turn around and sign one of the remaining FA goalies, which the Canucks could just do.

I don't think the late pick we would get for Primeau is worth it. Might as well give him the year to establish himself.

Top cheese Gaz

Nov 21, 2023
I don't think canucks have to make a trade and give asset to get a 3rd string goalie.

I would personnaly go with Jones or Lankinen. Jones prove is value last year when he was called from the AHL. Did a good job.

Lankinen is more trickie. Would you rather have Silovs like a backup or Lankinen when demko will return.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Not really, unless they want to throw Dobes to the wolves or go with unproven Hughes.

Or they turn around and sign one of the remaining FA goalies, which the Canucks could just do.

I don't think the late pick we would get for Primeau is worth it. Might as well give him the year to establish himself.
Throwing Dobes to the wolves???? Your standards are mother hen level. The man can handle it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad