HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Askarov. As much as I appreciate what Hughes has done, I don't see a leaguewide top 10 C/Dman/goalie in the organization which is essential for a cup contender. Goaltending is very hit-or-miss nowadays, but I think a guy like Askarov would be more reassuring than anyone we could get in the future. That being said, I'm not sure what we could realistically offer that fits their needs. They need RD and centers.

I haven't followed him much, is he that good? His draft pedigree is impressive, but has he been trending like he'll be a top goalie? The problem with these top goalie prospects is that they are less of a sure thing compared to skaters top prospects

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Askarov. As much as I appreciate what Hughes has done, I don't see a leaguewide top 10 C/Dman/goalie in the organization which is essential for a cup contender. Goaltending is very hit-or-miss nowadays, but I think a guy like Askarov would be more reassuring than anyone we could get in the future. That being said, I'm not sure what we could realistically offer that fits their needs. They need RD and centers.
So Kapanen or Bogdan, or Barron?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I haven't followed him much, is he that good? His draft pedigree is impressive, but has he been trending like he'll be a top goalie? The problem with these top goalie prospects is that they are less of a sure thing compared to skaters top prospects
If he was Trotz wouldn't be wanting to trade him.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
It's going to be hard for Hage to make the top six.

Why's that? If he fulfills his potential he clearly has top 6 upside. Unless you're counting your chickens with Laine already, Hage has every chance of getting there. We don't even know if or how Laine will work out or how long he'll be a hab.

I'm hopeful with Patrik, but this shouldn't be reason to doubt Hage's chances. Heck he could even eventually supplant Dach for all we know.

Alot can happen by the time Hage is hypothetically ready.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Would be just as hard for McGroarty
Right but the post I responded to assumed that McGroarty would be on the third line.
Why's that? If he fulfills his potential he clearly has top 6 upside. Unless you're counting your chickens with Laine already, Hage has every chance of getting there. We don't even know if or how Laine will work out or how long he'll be a hab.

I'm hopeful with Patrik, but this shouldn't be reason to doubt Hage's chances. Heck he could even eventually supplant Dach for all we know.

Alot can happen by the time Hage is hypothetically ready.
I agree, if we assume that Hage will live up to his potential and that Laine and Dach will not live up to their potential then Hage has a good shot at making the top six.

Reactions: Andy

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I just don't think the feet were ever going to be a good fit for what we are doing and see McGroarty as a deluxe 3rd liner where Hage has so many more tools to play in the top 6.
I think down the road McGroarty has more potential to the top 6 than Hage. I see Hage as a fantastic 3rd liner, and there is nothing wrong with that.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's going to be hard for Hage to make the top six.

Not really - by the time he's NHL ready to make the top 6 is the time we are going to want to move off of a top 6 player making too much money to keep the salary structure in place. He will be more valuable being able to produce in that role on an ELC.

Would be just as hard for McGroarty

Harder.

I think down the road McGroarty has more potential to the top 6 than Hage. I see Hage as a fantastic 3rd liner, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Not sure how that's the case at all. McGroarty has terrible feet and is a one-timer threat pretty much solely offensively. His profile screams high character 3rd liner. Hage is a beautiful skater, has a great shot, puck handles and playmaking ability.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If Laine plays well then I expect Hughes to offer him an extension. And regardless of Laine, Hughes may have the opportunity to trade for or acquire an outstanding forward. Some have suggested that Crosby may be interested in the Habs.

As for Hage it's not an argument against him that he will have a hard time making the top six. The Habs are an improving team particularly at forward, and the prospects/young players other than Hage include Demidov, Roy, Farrell, Mesar, Kidney, Newhook, plus whoever else is being drafted with our 2025 picks which might include another excellent young forward, perhaps even two.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'm not sure if I see a spot on this team for Mesar. He's not going to be a top 6 player on this team and he's not a bottom 6 type player. I think if the Habs can find a trade for him, they're better off moving him sooner than later if there is still any value there. I'd hate to let him languish and lose more value and development in the Habs org where he just doesn't/can't find a place to slot in.

Maybe trade him for a RD prospect or package for a regular, NHL player we can use in the lineup night in and night out. Savoie for McLeod trade comes to mind.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
We are likely going to need a first pair RD, because we can harly hope for Reinbacher's development to align perfectly with our contending window.

We might also find ourselves in a position where we need a 1B C if Dach can't stay healthy.

These are the key areas that need to be kept in mind, as there's a finite amount of trading assets we're going to have, no matter how frugal Hugo has been to date.

Something to consider when discussing luxury projects like Askarov.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
If Laine plays well then I expect Hughes to offer him an extension. And regardless of Laine, Hughes may have the opportunity to trade for or acquire an outstanding forward. Some have suggested that Crosby may be interested in the Habs.

As for Hage it's not an argument against him that he will have a hard time making the top six. The Habs are an improving team particularly at forward, and the prospects/young players other than Hage include Demidov, Roy, Farrell, Mesar, Kidney, Newhook, plus whoever else is being drafted with our 2025 picks which might include another excellent young forward, perhaps even two.
If he plays well, HuGo will trade him for a nice haul. I don't see him as part of the future core. They just wanted to offer a little glimpse of hope for the fans this season. The rebuild will take time. Harris was expendable and that 2nd is a prized asset that can be dealt for another piece. I don't expect Harris to be more than a depth D. I would have preferred they pick Barron instead. Low risk, high reward move. If it works, awesome. If not, well you can buy the last yr and your cap wouldn't be affected that much anyways for 2 yrs. The dead weight will be gone too, only Gallagher and Anderson will still be around. As for Price, his caphit is manageable. You get a 2nd for a depth D that had given his max potential. If only the BargainBin took these types of risks.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'm not sure if I see a spot on this team for Mesar. He's not going to be a top 6 player on this team and he's not a bottom 6 type player. I think if the Habs can find a trade for him, they're better off moving him sooner than later if there is still any value there. I'd hate to let him languish and lose more value and development in the Habs org where he just doesn't/can't find a place to slot in.

Maybe trade him for a RD prospect or package for a regular, NHL player we can use in the lineup night in and night out. Savoie for McLeod trade comes to mind.

I think there's only a spot for Mesar on this team if it's in the top six, and for that he would need to really torch the AHL this year.

I think that Mesar 's value right now is likely negligible. He needs to perform at the AHL.

If he plays well, HuGo will trade him for a nice haul. I don't see him as part of the future core.
If Laine plays well the Habs can make a deep playoff run as soon as 2026, and I think Hughes would try to keep him.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
If he plays well, HuGo will trade him for a nice haul. I don't see him as part of the future core. They just wanted to offer a little glimpse of hope for the fans this season. The rebuild will take time. Harris was expendable and that 2nd is a prized asset that can be dealt for another piece. I don't expect Harris to be more than a depth D. I would have preferred they pick Barron instead. Low risk, high reward move. If it works, awesome. If not, well you can buy the last yr and your cap wouldn't be affected that much anyways for 2 yrs. The dead weight will be gone too, only Gallagher and Anderson will still be around. As for Price, his caphit is manageable. You get a 2nd for a depth D that had given his max potential. If only the BargainBin took these types of risks.
If Laine plays well, why trade him? Assuming that “well” means a return to 40g form

Those players are hard to find and he is 26 years old

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad