Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Old Man

Still processing...
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Isn’t the soccer team going there? Or is that karsten? I can’t keep track of the stupid soccer team. Can we get rid of it?
Soccer team PHX Rising is already there at PGP.

TEMPE: "we saved our landfill!"

MESA: "hold our beers, we have a dead mall!"

Reactions: technoviking

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
A lot of cold water on Fiesta and SRPIC
The Fiesta poo-pooing seems to be centered on being a bit too far East (fair enough) and the idea that it would have to go on a ballot again. But that part confuses me. Craig read out loud the part about the criteria for going on ballot, and I don’t see why this would qualify. He read all of those words to show that it would, but I interpreted them in the exact opposite way.

Can anyone clarify?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There you go. The Mesa mayor saying no vote necessary, private transaction. So why is Morgan saying there would have to be a vote?

Tax incentives and/or additional services/nearby infrastructure an arena district might incur would cross the low threshold ($1.5m)

More relevant is that it's privately owned and they don't need to sell to Meruelo.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
@TheLegend @AZviaNJ thx for sharing / posting that pod. Listening to it rn.

Very grateful the PHNX team is even in existence, also imo the fake flyer at 11:30 was legitimately well done and very entertaining

Reactions: AZviaNJ

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Tax incentives and/or additional services/nearby infrastructure an arena district might incur would cross the low threshold ($1.5m)

More relevant is that it's privately owned and they don't need to sell to Meruelo.
Additional nearby services and infrastructure should be paid for by the developer. I don’t think tax abatements would qualify as incurred cost.

Isn’t all land owned by somebody. And shouldn’t our hope be to deal only with private land owners as to avoid the public process (voting)?

JasonDemersWasOkay

Awaiting the return of my beloved team
Nov 14, 2018
I would like to think if anyone knows how to finagle a deal to avoid a vote it would be the people in charge of making the deals.

Then again the Tempe city council all wanted the deal and they couldn’t figure it out so idk.

Just get something done

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I would like to think if anyone knows how to finagle a deal to avoid a vote it would be the people in charge of making the deals.

Then again the Tempe city council all wanted the deal and they couldn’t figure it out so idk.

Just get something done
Because it wasn’t zoned properly and was publicly owned. And the remediation was a bond issue. The city has to be involved. It’s why the council had to put out an RFP, vote, and refer to the voters. None of these things should have to happen at Fiesta, as far as I understand it.

The council may have to vote on an abatement. But the Public shouldn’t have to. It’s not as though all of those buildings along Tempe town lake all went to the ballot one by one due to GPLETS.

HowlofRevel

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Because it wasn’t zoned properly and was publicly owned. And the remediation was a bond issue. The city has to be involved. It’s why the council had to put out an RFP, vote, and refer to the voters. None of these things should have to happen at Fiesta, as far as I understand it.

The council may have to vote on an abatement. But the Public shouldn’t have to. It’s not as though all of those buildings along Tempe town lake all went to the ballot one by one due to GPLETS.

Its directly in the city charter that tax concessions more than $1.5M for projects of this type must go to a public vote.

I don't think Tempe has such strict limitations, but the Coyotes project was going to be forced to a vote based on opposition getting enough signatures to force a referendum. Other Tempe GPLET's never had enough opposition for a referendum.

Mesa Charter.PNG

Reactions: mouser

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Its directly in the city charter that tax concessions more than $1.5M for projects of this type must go to a public vote.

I don't think Tempe has such strict limitations, but the Coyotes project was going to be forced to a vote based on opposition getting enough signatures to force a referendum. Other Tempe GPLET's never had enough opposition for a referendum.

View attachment 711577

Thank you. But I’m still questioning if this is specific to on-site sales tax generation. It’s not a concession on an existing tax. It’s a cap or a delay on a new, non existent revenue stream. It seems like that’s different. If not by the letter (which I’m not convinced of) then certainly by the spirit.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I should add that my hesitation to accept this is, in part, due to the mayor’s own comments. It seems like he would know.
Mesa Mayor Giles is simply encouraging the Coyotes to consider what Mesa has to offer. That he "sees avenues that wouldn't require a public vote." He also said he hasn't even talked to the team (so he has no clue what AM really needs to make this work, to know for sure if one of those avenues is even a realistic possibility or not.)

Reactions: Kaizen

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
So with this city charter, I'm not sure I get what it means. It sounds like if the City gives AM more than $1.5M towards the project, a vote is required. Does this mean that one of the "avenues" that Mayor Giles sees as a possibility is that AM and his investors don't take any money from the city as a way to avoid the vote? Like literally 100% privately funded, no fine print? Are there other ways around it?

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Depending on how far up the 51 you are it almost be worth it to go out on Shea Blvd. to the Loop101 and then down.
I get in at Northern and Shea does move well, IDK. I can HOV lane all the way down until just south of the PCH and then Join the mess that is the exit to the 202. Only takes me 20-25 minutes to the Mullett, but the frustration factor is fairly high.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I get in at Northern and Shea does move well, IDK. I can HOV lane all the way down until just south of the PCH and then Join the mess that is the exit to the 202. Only takes me 20-25 minutes to the Mullett, but the frustration factor is fairly high.
Been that way a few times, Wife’s job was at 16th and Morten behind the Hilton there.

The Mini Stack is where it really sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'm starting to think an NHL forced sale to Isbia is our only hope.
I am pretty sure Ishba is going to cut a deal to keep the Coyotes in Phx as a minority or majority owner. Ishba and his brother want to own other pro sports teams, this is a good match in the same market. I know the Coyotes have a suit filed against Phoenix but this can all be worked out. This is the best option and maybe the only option for the Coyotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad