Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
How badly does Meruelo need the tax abatements to make anything happen? If he's that worried about it, why not bring in a minority owner to stake him that tax obligation?

For real, if the public is going pitch a bitch over whether AM gets a tax break, then why not just say "f*** it", pay the taxes/find someone to take on that obligation and get some skin in the game, and get the ball rolling?

Seriously, I'd be pissed if I were Meruelo. Reminded of like, Major League and Pedro Serrano - "If you no help me now, I say f*** you Jobu, I do it myself."

Last edited:
Reactions: Edenjung

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
How badly does Meruelo need the tax abatements to make anything happen? If he's that worried about it, why not bring in a minority owner to stake him that tax obligation?

Larger margin of error (profit margin) on the property after projected development makes it easier to underwrite. The team is an appreciating asset when liquid so trading equity away doesn't really make sense - it could theoretically jump dramatically like NBA valuations.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Craig/Leah on PHNX today (and follow-up to his arena options article):

Fiesta Mall - has been on XG radar since day 1. Has some issues (location/distance) and may not be able to support high-end stores. He believes they cannot do a Fiesta deal without a vote given the $1.5M threshold. "Definitively the Coyotes do not want a vote"

Tribal Land 101 - gaming issues, AM can't own land, "host of issues", process could take 5-10 years....which obviously is a no go. Tribe may not be okay with AM ownership. Tribe flirting with Dbacks, which is interesting.

Footprint Center - no desire for AM to sell. Zero NHL teams are tenants in an arena......ancillary revenue big issue/topic. Ishbia is open to conversation around ownership if Bettman forces a sale.

County Islands - a couple in Tempe (Oceanside), others down near Alma School Rd. Advantage is no public vote, disadvantage no tax abatement.

Opportunity Zones - didn't share details.

Answers to questions:
Believe Mesa Riverview might be an option to consider
Scottsdale - doesn't appear to be an option
Karstan/Tempe Golf Course didn't work because Barrroway didn't have the money.

League hasn't set a timeline, but everyone knows the Coyotes have months, not years. They need a plan in front of the league...fast. Ishibia or relocation next step if they can't find an AZ option.

Houston/Tillman doesn't want an NHL team due to cost.

If they're excluding Fiesta Mall then the pickings seem pretty bare or long shots. Seems destine for relocation somewhere other than Houston.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Yeah, when I worked in it is was known as the B of A Building, or "the one tall building in Mesa, near the mall". It's an indicator of how that place has fallen that now the title sponsor on the building, once the second largest bank in the USA, is now something called "Alverno College".

It's a private women's college in Milwaukee. I have no idea why they've got something in Mesa now.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Why does he need any money at all?

Are you talking about the GPLET? Government put tax abatements in place to encourage development. Nothing wrong with wanting to include a GPLET or any other favorable tax treatment into the deal. Need has nothing to do with it... it's good business for the developer, government, and taxpayers (almost always).

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Are you talking about the GPLET? Government put tax abatements in place to encourage development. Nothing wrong with wanting to include a GPLET or any other favorable tax treatment into the deal. Need has nothing to do with it... it's good business for the developer, government, and taxpayers (almost always).
And I’m still not convinced it counts toward the 1.5mil - buuuut I barely graduated high school. So….

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Ishbia buying the team would be a god send. We'd stop getting all the negative press from a national sense, local media already love the guy. He'd probably build a new arena in something like 5-10 years, so we just get the obstructed seats long enough to where we are still just happy we have the team. The arena is in the best spot possible. Our owner would be visible and happy to be associated with us. Gush
Gush
Gush
Gush

Would love for this to happen

As far as getting the building up to speed though. We all know this would happen in months, not years. We would finish out our lease at Mullet while they get the arena hockey ready. I feel like this could be done in two years, while only disturbing the Mercury a little. Should be noted I am completely speaking out of my ass and have no idea what I am talking about with that. It just feels like it should be doable given our Mullet lease.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Ishbia buying the team would be a god send. We'd stop getting all the negative press from a national sense, local media already love the guy. He'd probably build a new arena in something like 5-10 years, so we just get the obstructed seats long enough to where we are still just happy we have the team. The arena is in the best spot possible. Our owner would be visible and happy to be associated with us. Gush
Gush
Gush
Gush

Would love for this to happen

As far as getting the building up to speed though. We all know this would happen in months, not years. We would finish out our lease at Mullet while they get the arena hockey ready. I feel like this could be done in two years, while only disturbing the Mercury a little. Should be noted I am completely speaking out of my ass and have no idea what I am talking about with that. It just feels like it should be doable given our Mullet lease.
I would be worried about the new owner bringing in his own GM and pulling out of the rebuild early.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Probably would mortgage the future like he did with Durant.
It’s a little different. The Suns were in a championship window. They were in the finals. You have to go for it as the Suns.

The Coyotes haven’t sniffed the playoffs. There is no rush to mortgage everything to try and get into the playoffs.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
It’s a little different. The Suns were in a championship window. They were in the finals. You have to go for it as the Suns.

The Coyotes haven’t sniffed the playoffs. There is no rush to mortgage everything to try and get into the playoffs.
Agreed. It's his desire to make a splash as a new owner that concerns me. He's set the Suns up to be one and done, like the Dbacks, if they did win.

Last edited:

JasonDemersWasOkay

Awaiting the return of my beloved team
Nov 14, 2018
Honestly until this shit is sorted I couldn’t give less of a f*** about the on-ice stuff.

If you told me the caveat to Ishbia buying the team and establishing their long term future in AZ would cost us BA and make them suck for another five years I’d take that every single day. That’s just me tho

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Honestly until this shit is sorted I couldn’t give less of a f*** about the on-ice stuff.

If you told me the caveat to Ishbia buying the team and establishing their long term future in AZ would cost us BA and make them suck for another five years I’d take that every single day. That’s just me tho

That's probably the common consensus. I feel a little differently though. I can't watch more of the past with this team, even if it means they're still here.

Reactions: Sciamachy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad