Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I guess the Fiesta location is better than no NHL at all. If I go Dobson-Elliot-Alma School, I can avoid freeways and it's about 15 minutes for me.

Do I believe it'll happen? Nope. From Bettman to Meruelo on down, they're all full of shit. I don't trust any of them.

Kudos to those of you who pivoted so quickly from "TED has to pass, it's our only hope" to "Fiesta is a great location! Probably easier and better for a bunch of reasons!" Bless your hearts.

Driving near Fiesta feels like driving into a time warp back to 1985. Would the arena improve that? Nah. You can put whipped cream on a turd, but that don't make it a sundae.

You can put it smack dab in the middle of the fanbase and reap the rewards of the first season when people go just to see the new barn. After that, it's middling attendance at best unless the team is contending. Even then, it's not likely.

Baseball is wildly more popular and the D-backs spent a good portion of the season in 1st place, yet they're still averaging under 20k/game in a location that's in the supposedly ideal spot downtown, where you can get tickets for $20. In fact, you can get the summer deal they're offering for $99 total and you get something like 36 games.

Municipalities aren't lining up to say "We want the Coyotes." There's no fight over them. It's more of a "I guess we'll take them if they want to build here."

Hope they stay, but like I've said numerous times before, I'll believe it when I'm in my seat and the puck drops opening night and the game clock ticks to 19:59.
Everyone just crawl into a hole and wait for the sweet release of death. This guy says so.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Awaiting the return of my beloved team
Nov 14, 2018
I guess the Fiesta location is better than no NHL at all. If I go Dobson-Elliot-Alma School, I can avoid freeways and it's about 15 minutes for me.

Do I believe it'll happen? Nope. From Bettman to Meruelo on down, they're all full of shit. I don't trust any of them.

Kudos to those of you who pivoted so quickly from "TED has to pass, it's our only hope" to "Fiesta is a great location! Probably easier and better for a bunch of reasons!" Bless your hearts.

Driving near Fiesta feels like driving into a time warp back to 1985. Would the arena improve that? Nah. You can put whipped cream on a turd, but that don't make it a sundae.

You can put it smack dab in the middle of the fanbase and reap the rewards of the first season when people go just to see the new barn. After that, it's middling attendance at best unless the team is contending. Even then, it's not likely.

Baseball is wildly more popular and the D-backs spent a good portion of the season in 1st place, yet they're still averaging under 20k/game in a location that's in the supposedly ideal spot downtown, where you can get tickets for $20. In fact, you can get the summer deal they're offering for $99 total and you get something like 36 games.

Municipalities aren't lining up to say "We want the Coyotes." There's no fight over them. It's more of a "I guess we'll take them if they want to build here."

Hope they stay, but like I've said numerous times before, I'll believe it when I'm in my seat and the puck drops opening night and the game clock ticks to 19:59.
If we don’t force ourselves to have hope what else do we have? Can’t let the main boards win

Reactions: Prarievarg

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
So funny I drove to the Fiesta site yesterday too.

There is already a 16 story tower across the street from the Fiesta site by itself, it could use a few hotel, condo, and office towers around it. Banner on the other side of the college is (I think) 7 stories and just east of the 16 story tower is a 7 story hotel.

They said the demolition started in March which I'm guessing is the interior of the mall, outside it looks the same as it did before.

I wonder if the 2 story parking garage on the west side would be salvageable. New parking garages are ridiculously expensive.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

There is already a 16 story tower across the street from the Fiesta site by itself, it could use a few hotel, condo, and office towers around it. Banner on the other side of the college is (I think) 7 stories and just east of the 16 story tower is a 7 story hotel.

They said the demolition started in March which I'm guessing is the interior of the mall, outside it looks the same as it did before.

I wonder if the 2 story parking garage on the west side would be salvageable. New parking garages are ridiculously expensive.
Any new development would be an improvement for Mesa. I just read that Mesa is pushing to offer more culinary options, so there could be a window to add mid to higher end restaurants in this development. The rent for the residential units will be lower than TED, but maybe AM can build higher, have more units etc. to make up the difference.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ

That was a Bank of America building, known for the blue neon lights that ran up its entire height. My buddy who was an America West pilot said that it made the building a landmark when he came in from the east.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

What kind of sandwich did you get?

Dirty Old Man

Still processing...
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
That was a Bank of America building, known for the blue neon lights that ran up its entire height. My buddy who was an America West pilot said that it made the building a landmark when he came in from the east.
Yeah, when I worked in it is was known as the B of A Building, or "the one tall building in Mesa, near the mall". It's an indicator of how that place has fallen that now the title sponsor on the building, once the second largest bank in the USA, is now something called "Alverno College".

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Craig/Leah on PHNX today (and follow-up to his arena options article):

Fiesta Mall - has been on XG radar since day 1. Has some issues (location/distance) and may not be able to support high-end stores. He believes they cannot do a Fiesta deal without a vote given the $1.5M threshold. "Definitively the Coyotes do not want a vote"

Tribal Land 101 - gaming issues, AM can't own land, "host of issues", process could take 5-10 years....which obviously is a no go. Tribe may not be okay with AM ownership. Tribe flirting with Dbacks, which is interesting.

Footprint Center - no desire for AM to sell. Zero NHL teams are tenants in an arena......ancillary revenue big issue/topic. Ishbia is open to conversation around ownership if Bettman forces a sale.

County Islands - a couple in Tempe (Oceanside), others down near Alma School Rd. Advantage is no public vote, disadvantage no tax abatement.

Opportunity Zones - didn't share details.

Answers to questions:
Believe Mesa Riverview might be an option to consider
Scottsdale - doesn't appear to be an option
Karstan/Tempe Golf Course didn't work because Barrroway didn't have the money.

League hasn't set a timeline, but everyone knows the Coyotes have months, not years. They need a plan in front of the league...fast. Ishibia or relocation next step if they can't find an AZ option.

Houston/Tillman doesn't want an NHL team due to cost.

wbwing

Aug 28, 2014
If this is the report, why was he feeling positive last week? These seem like pretty critical issues at every site.

wbwing

Aug 28, 2014
Also, about Karsten.... Was there more elaboration? Does AM have the money? That would be a 10/10 location frankly.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
How about the old Greyhound Park? It's 60 acres and owned by Sky Harbor. Can we bury the hatchet and make a deal?

1684783258380.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad