Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
More realistic is Ishbia buys the team, they emergency retrofit an NHL level iceplant, and then the team hangs on until the Suns can leave Footprint. It's old as shit and the cost to renovate is halfway to a new building. By virtue of having both teams Ishbia could bring 100+ dates to any negotiation table.

It's not a 'problem' to sell it to Ishbia but he has to actively want the team. Part of the reason Houston isn't being considered is due to tepid interest. The league wants passionate owners.

Okay thank you for the information.

I was under the impression he expressed interest in the team but Meruelo was hesitant to sell to anyone else keeping the team in Arizona.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
It's a bit of a cryptic response from Craig.

Craig mentioned a member if SRPIC reached out to him after the vote was released asking if he the Coyotes were willing to re-engage with them. If they were so down on Meruelo I find it hard someone from the tribe would be hitting up Craig with that question. But... crazier things have happened.
Leads me to think that maybe they were talking with the SRPIC prior to TED, doubled down on Tempe, backed away from the negotiating table with the tribe and the tribe took that personally? Maybe the tribe just doesn't want their time wasted - a la, don't date me if you're going to date other people at the same time. Pure speculation.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Tanic

Dec 28, 2003
Visit site
Ishba is pretty creative, if he and Murello sit down and talk, maybe something can be worked out. Maybe Ishba becomes a minority partner and they make the downtown building changes needed for it work. The Suns and coyotes in the same building downtown makes the most sense. There could be a deal made here since Sarver is out of the way.
The owner of Footprint Center might have a say in this.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Leads me to think that maybe they were talking with the SRPIC prior to TED, doubled down on Tempe, backed away from the negotiating table with the tribe and the tribe took that personally? Maybe the tribe just doesn't want their time wasted - a la, don't date me if you're going to date other people at the same time. Pure speculation.
My first thought as well. In that case the "past relationship" thing might be mostly posturing and not really personal against AM

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Who was the dark force that tanked TED and funded the No campaign?

Would that force be opposed to Fiesta?

It's nice that the Mesa mayor thinks it could get done without a referendum but I suspect it's not going to be easy.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Who was the dark force that tanked TED and funded the No campaign?

Would that force be opposed to Fiesta?

It's nice that the Mesa mayor thinks it could get done without a referendum but I suspect it's not going to be easy.

I think the difference is Tempe involved the sale of public land while Fiesta is privately owned. AM will still want a GPLET I'm assuming, but fairly sure those don't need to go to a vote.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Its growing cause of laundering money schemes and the chinese gobbling up land for resell.

Gotta get rid of them before the bubble burst and we experience another housing crisis.

Another reason why ppl enjoy the s valley is the open land. The cheap taxes. Well governed council and businesses from Canada competing with the horrible American and Mexican companies.

Circle K a Canadian company is the only place to fill up. Cheaper. Better service.
Circle K? Terrible service and dirty stores. I think you better quit while you think you are ahead.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ishba is pretty creative, if he and Murello sit down and talk, maybe something can be worked out. Maybe Ishba becomes a minority partner and they make the downtown building changes needed for it work. The Suns and coyotes in the same building downtown makes the most sense. There could be a deal made here since Sarver is out of the way.
I doubt that. It would work if Ishba would buy the team but that isn't happening. AM wants the team, and all the development to himself, as any smart investor would. AM will probably have partners, but on his terms.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's a bit of a cryptic response from Craig.

Craig mentioned a member if SRPIC reached out to him after the vote was released asking if he the Coyotes were willing to re-engage with them. If they were so down on Meruelo I find it hard someone from the tribe would be hitting up Craig with that question. But... crazier things have happened.
A bit cryptic? This is Morgan at his finest. Morgan was lovey dovey with the Coyote's, then after the vote more or less shit on AM. Morgan's view changes with the wind. That's the way he has always been.

Reactions: Bandit34

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If AM wants to continue to own and stay in Arizona, as has been reported, and control the revenue streams then Fiesta Mall is the best (only?)option.

Reactions: Nowotny

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
A bit cryptic? This is Morgan at his finest. Morgan was lovey dovey with the Coyote's, then after the vote more or less shit on AM. Morgan's view changes with the wind. That's the way he has always been.
Craig’s been at this with the Coyote since 2000. Probably trying to leverage this national exposure into his next job……especially if he no longer has a job!

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Buying the land and making TED work as intended, circumventing the no vote.

But the cash isn't there for that. So it would need to be the tribal land that is arguably a better spot with less oversight right across from Tempe Marketplace.
The cash (loans) are there (all been arranged, we’re told), the backend dollars are not.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
What do you mean the cash isn't there? I thought the Coyote's had to hand over $50 mil. to Tempe if the vote passed. Now Tempe says they can't afford or don't have the budget to clean it up so they sell it to AM for $1. and AM builds what he wants. AM is not worried about lawsuits and Tempe stays clear of paying for any lawsuits like in the original deal.
Loans, not necessarily cash on hand.

Reactions: Kaizen

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
You can borrow having that NET worth. You do know what net worth means? You think billionaires pay cash for everything?
You spoke as if he were liquid, had me confuse a bit also.

The barrier is the Suns arena sucked ass for hockey twenty years ago and hasn't gotten any better with basketball only renovations. The Suns are stuck there for the foreseeable future. Even if you could overhaul the ice plant and all that, it'd be a bad experience sightlines wise.

They actually asked the NHL if they intended to put a team in Phoenix when designing AWA and the league said no, so you can sort of see fate f***ing hates the Coyotes and has for decades.
Yep Ziegler was shortsighted compared to Bettman.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
This damn site on a phone! Sitting on a plane and it jumped past 20 some pages on me. Don’t know if I’ll go back… seems seems nothing new to see here anyway LOL!

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
This damn site on a phone! Sitting on a plane and it jumped past 20 some pages on me. Don’t know if I’ll go back… seems seems nothing new to see here anyway LOL!
There's not. Same old bias and regurgitating "studies" and "statistics" presented by the Coyotes to fit their narrative. Meruelo and crew are just another group of rich people trying to widen their wealth gap with zero concern for any of us. The thing that I hate most about this ongoing almost 2 decade drama is it's killed my love for the team. Was starting to get a little excited for the draft. Now I'll just check the internet to see who they picked after it's over. Every time I think there's hope to start being a diehard again, they remind me we were never going to get an owner that loved the team and state. We have to be satisfied with a businessman that suffers the team as a means to his end. Of course that's better than no team at all I guess.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Nyah…. this is you at your finest Jakey. Ignoring the details.

Morgan was critical of the campaign the moment Randy Keating mentioned in a podcast he was worried about them sitting back and allowing the Tempe1st campaign to get out early and shit all over them without a response.

Reactions: Prarievarg

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Been there, done that when using the phone at work. At least I have the iPad now. Only drawback to it is my with the magic folio keyboard…. my right pinky finger keeps missing the shift key for the backslash.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Coyotedroppings / Legend -- Laptops work too.

Anyway drove past Fiesta Mall this morning because why not. Location is fine. Tempe / TED would've been better, but instead of being right next to the 101 / 202 (like Tempe would've been), Fiesta is damn close to the 101 / 60, right off the Alma School exit. Ie location wise it's almost as good, who cares. Gmaps says it's about 10 mins away from the proposed Tempe site and if you're close to the 10 (from the West), it's about the same distance in highway miles (not sure about traffic during the weekdays but time wise should be pretty close I would think).

The one downside is that the area feels like Mesa -- what I mean is that it's very stripmally ie not walkable. Imo few would say Tempe is 'nice' but absolutely no one would say that part of Mesa is. Feels safe enough / not terrible but I wouldn't necessarily want to stick around the area after games.

But, if an NHL arena were there, would some high end cocktail bars / good restaurants start popping up in the area? I think so. Either way old Fiesta Mall site is far from the worst area and besides, that area could use the revitalization. As someone who lives in the Arcadia area which is pretty centrally located, would 100% be ok with that location if that's where we end up

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm cool with Mesa. Fiesta Mall leaves some to be desired immediately. Not much in the way of pre & post game options but that will change quickly if an arena deal is made. Get moving on a local arena deal. Make '23-'24 relevant for fans and unleash the hate and salt on the other boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad