Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Craig sums up the situation….
(and a little irony included)

First and foremost the tribe would likely want different ownership and the league and Coyotes have made it clear that Alex Meruelo is not selling the team.

Somehow burned a bridge we didn't even know was burned.

A spokesperson for the Suns confirmed to PHNX Sports that if the NHL and the Coyotes ever wanted to have discussions with the Suns, they would be available to have those conversations, but again the Coyotes are not for sale.
Maybe it should be.

Again, this possibility isn’t on the table because the Coyotes are not for sale, but if the Meruelo ownership group can’t find an arena solution soon, you have to wonder if NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman would make the call to Ishbia.

Long past due Gary.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
View attachment 710825

I think Fiesta Mall will actually work based on the above. It’s hard to argue with those numbers from the Glendale era. If East Siders were between 2/3 & 3/4 of the the revenue generated at the arena in Glendale, that’s basically case-closed on this debate. It’s settled.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I think Fiesta Mall will actually work based on the above. It’s hard to argue with those numbers from the Glendale era. If East Siders were between 2/3 & 3/4 of the the revenue generated at the arena in Glendale, that’s basically case-closed on this debate. It’s settled.
Agreed. But we HAVE to get around the prospect of a public vote. This thing needs to pop up without anyone being any of the wiser or asking any further questions.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I don't know if any of y'all have ever been to United Center in Chicago. I've been to a handful of games there. That thing is a biblical pain in the ass to get to. If you drive, you're either taking packed one way city streets at rush hour, or going through inbound congestion on the Kennedy (hard no, thats a f***in death trap). It's in a terribly run down neighborhood in the West Loop with the only public transportation still being three to four city blocks away and a homeless camp just two blocks to the North that pops up every other two weeks after the city sweeps it out. The most consistent option if you're coming from the suburbs is to take a 25 dollar cab ride from the Ogilvy center or Union Station after a 30-45 minute train ride (that was likely that amount of time behind schedule.)

It sucks.

I'd be ecstatic with that Fiesta Mall locale my dudes.

I've been to United Center multiple times and concur with everything you've said. Terrible access plus bad neighborhood.

And yet it‘s tolerable for the fans with two flagship professional sports teams there.

Last edited:
Reactions: MayDayMayDay

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Agreed. But we HAVE to get around the prospect of a public vote. This thing needs to pop up without anyone being any of the wiser or asking any further questions.

If Fiesta Mall is indeed the destination, imo the only potential tax break involved is a GPLET.

I doubt a CFD would be necessary or pursued as it was in Tempe due to the negative land value.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Municipalities can’t have ownership so I’m unsure if a tribe could.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
So what would be step 1 for Fiesta Mall? A willingness on behalf of the owner to sell the land?

Would the blueprint need to be changed much? Could you just drop the TED right on the Fiesta site?

• Love
Reactions: Dirty Old Man

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I've been to United Center multiple times and concur with everything you've said. Terrible access plus bad neighborhood.

And yet it‘s tolerable for the fans with two flagship professional sports teams there.
Three if you count the Illini basketball team playing there a couple times a year lol.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So what would be step 1 for Fiesta Mall? A willingness on behalf of the owner to sell the land?

Would the blueprint need to be changed much? Could you just drop the TED right on the Fiesta site?

Verde owns a major chunk of the mall property already. If there is a new Arena on the mall site it’s likely a Coyotes/Verde/others partnership imo. The TED site was always going to involve partners as well, wouldn’t be the least surprised if Verde was one of them.

Dropping the TED plan on the site wouldn’t make any sense. All the non-arena development needs to fit the location. I don’t know how much Bluebird has invested in the TED arena architectural plans, but I’d assume most of that is reusable.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Vegas fan in peace. I would like the Coyotes to continue to exist in the desert.

Is the Suns owner buying the team and renovating that arena a realistic option? The Suns owner has expressed interest?

If Meruelo wants to sell anyway if the team moves, then why is this a problem for him to sell it to the Suns owner to keep them in Arizona?

Reactions: Puckrobber

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Fiesta has more buildable space than TED, without changing anything. No serious engineering work was done on TED, just rudimentary planning. Remember that TED needed a considerable amount of time just to remediate the land. Fiesta Mall is in the process of being torn down as of March. The timelines should be at least equal if not better and the opportunity equal or greater.

The problem is Meruelo wouldn't get the land outright. Verde can ask for whatever they want and I'm not sure the city has any ability to force a sale. And I was under the impression that AM wanted the entire cake.

Reactions: AZDesertKnight

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Vegas fan in peace. I would like the Coyotes to continue to exist in the desert.

Is the Suns owner buying the team and renovating that arena a realistic option? The Suns owner has expressed interest?

If Meruelo wants to sell anyway if the team moves, then why is this a problem for him to sell it to the Suns owner to keep them in Arizona?

More realistic is Ishbia buys the team, they emergency retrofit an NHL level iceplant, and then the team hangs on until the Suns can leave Footprint. It's old as shit and the cost to renovate is halfway to a new building. By virtue of having both teams Ishbia could bring 100+ dates to any negotiation table.

It's not a 'problem' to sell it to Ishbia but he has to actively want the team. Part of the reason Houston isn't being considered is due to tepid interest. The league wants passionate owners.

Reactions: 0point1

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Entitlements taking forever/jumbled land issues that are a mess means the SRPIC are out anyways. Conceivable landing spot for Ishbia if he owned both teams given the timeline needed. Could use it as leverage to get a good deal with Phoenix. They're wanting to demo the southern convention hall and build something new eventually.

Fiesta is AM's only shot. Carvana is on the verge of bankruptcy so maybe the Verde guy wants to sell.

This shit is stupid.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Ishba is pretty creative, if he and Murello sit down and talk, maybe something can be worked out. Maybe Ishba becomes a minority partner and they make the downtown building changes needed for it work. The Suns and coyotes in the same building downtown makes the most sense. There could be a deal made here since Sarver is out of the way.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Appears so. Extremely concerning.

View attachment 710975
It's a bit of a cryptic response from Craig.

Craig mentioned a member if SRPIC reached out to him after the vote was released asking if he the Coyotes were willing to re-engage with them. If they were so down on Meruelo I find it hard someone from the tribe would be hitting up Craig with that question. But... crazier things have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad