Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Does anyone else think that XG just might need to be shit canned?
I figure he would be already unless:

A) Meruelo needs him to finish this because he's so deep into it already and no one else can just jump right in and replace XG and his work already done. Not enough time.

B) AM knows it's his own fault for not committing more budget to the campaign.

C) All of the above.

These are the only reasons I can come up with for why no heads have rolled, yet.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So... Does anyone else think that XG just might need to be shit canned? Like, perhaps we need a new face to spearhead this renewed vigorous search for a deal?

He can't spend money that isn't his. And it's clear he handles himself better than AM, which is why he runs point on everything.

Someone somewhere better do some reporting on why a deal with the tribes isn't possible. Literally any crumb or detail.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So... Does anyone else think that XG just might need to be shit canned? Like, perhaps we need a new face to spearhead this renewed vigorous search for a deal?
I find XG intelligent, but not likeable. That's just me though. AM has to become more visible so the people can like see, touch and feel him. They have to know the person behind this, not some hired hand in a suit. I have no idea why the Coyote's didn't have "meet the owner" a couple of times before the vote. I don't think AM is as well spoken as XG, but maybe someone who talks more or less like the rest of us, and who we can relate to may have helped. AM has a great story to tell, and opening up to people could have gone a long ways.:dunno:

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I find XG intelligent, but not likeable. That's just me though. AM has to become more visible so the people can like see, touch and feel him. They have to know the person behind this, not some hired hand in a suit. I have no idea why the Coyote's didn't have "meet the owner" a couple of times before the vote. I don't think AM is as well spoken as XG, but maybe someone who talks more or less like the rest of us, and who we can relate to may have helped. AM has a great story to tell, and opening up to people could have gone a long ways.:dunno:
Bang on Jakey, 1000% spot on here.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Step 1: NHL secretly informs Meruelo they intend to buy back the Yotes from him at whatever amount was privately agreed upon as his profit cap. You know there must be a magic number like that, signed for in blood.

Step 2: NHL incentivizes Meruelo to keep ‘23/‘24 losses to a minimum so he keeps up the ruse and staves off as much lame duck backlash as possible.

Step 3: NHL sells the team to Fertitta at the buy-back price+’23/‘24 losses+token expansion fee (minimal).

Meruelo gets every penny he’s eligible for. Fertitta gets a half price team. NHL doesn’t downgrade on market size.

Last edited:
Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
This thread is so painful.

I wish Paul Bissonnette would tweet or say something positive. He’s our guy embedded in the national scene and we need him now more than ever.

Every single person online is negative and dancing on our graves :(

Reactions: Prarievarg

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
You can't register students whose permanent addresses aren't in Tempe.
Wouldn't they just need a campus apartment address? Even a dorm? Idk if the law is different in Arizona, I went to school back in Illinois, but I was able to vote in my precinct just because I registered my apartment address.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Three Way Trade Proposal:

To Meruelo:
Profit Cap
Loss Mitigation Incentive

To Fertitta:
Half Price Team

To Board or Governors:
The Merciful End
Partially Saved Face
Equivalent Market Size
I don't see the NHL agreeing to sell Coyotes to move without a rather large relocation fee. Those Franchise fees will not be ignored to help anyone imo.

Reactions: Jakey53

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Hopefully, good news comes sooner rather than later. I'll be moving back to Arizona in early July, and I want my "home team" settled somewhere. Or, at the very least, have a place (in Arizona) to eventually call home announced.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Step 1: NHL secretly informs Meruelo they intend to buy back the Yotes from him at whatever amount was privately agreed upon as his profit cap. You know there must be a magic number like that, signed for in blood.

Step 2: NHL incentivizes Meruelo to keep ‘24/‘25 losses to a minimum so he keeps up the ruse and staves off as much lame duck backlash as possible.

Step 3: NHL sells the team to Fertitta at the buy-back price+’23/‘24 losses+token expansion fee (minimal).

Meruelo gets every penny he’s eligible for. Fertitta gets a half price team. NHL doesn’t downgrade on market size.
Or we get an arena deal AND the NHL finds a owner for Houston and gets full franchise fee.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

To Meruelo:
Profit Cap

To Fertitta:
Half Price Team

To Board or Governors:
The Merciful End
Partially Saved Face
Equivalent Market Size
IMO the NHL would be setting a terrible precedence selling the Coyotes at half price. If a reasonable relocation fee is $650m…maybe Fertitta gets it for $550m.

And trust me I get the BOG perspective that they’ve already made a terrible precedence moving the team to AZ and not being more diligent in their scrutiny of past owners.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
IMO the NHL would be setting a terrible precedence selling the Coyotes at half price. If a reasonable relocation fee is $650m…maybe Fertitta gets it for $550m.

And trust me I get the BOG perspective that they’ve already made a terrible precedence moving the team to AZ and not being more diligent in their scrutiny of past owners.
I don't see a relocation fee being that much. I see total price of team and relocation fee being roughly cost Senators are about to sell for. They aren't getting the talent benefit or clean slate of a new franchise so imo should expect to pay a little less.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Having him as the face of Tempe Wins was just another mistake. He has the billionaire stigma that sat so well with Tempe voters. Maybe don’t wear a suit EVERYWHERE!

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

To Meruelo:
Profit Cap

To Fertitta:
Half Price Team

To Board or Governors:
The Merciful End
Partially Saved Face
Equivalent Market Size
I can't believe you turned this into a trade proposal. If you start coming up with a half dozen of these every day, I think an intervention will be in order.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Craig went on the Chicago version of PHNX podcast. Starts at about the 26 minute mark.

This was actually an extremely good rundown of the entire situation, past, present and future.

For someone already up-to-speed on these events, the most interesting nugget was regarding Tillman Fertitta. Morgan stated that he was “vetted” by the NHL and found to have not had the money to buy the team and didn’t want to put up the money necessary to buy the team.

Sounds like it’s not just “he didn’t like the price” and more like “he couldn’t afford the price” which is a whole different thing. And possibly the only reason they aren’t already in Houston, I’d think.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This was actually an extremely good rundown of the entire situation, past, present and future.

For someone already up-to-speed on these events, the most interesting nugget was regarding Tillman Fertitta. Morgan stated that he was “vetted” by the NHL and found to have not had the money to buy the team and didn’t want to put up the money necessary to buy the team.

Sounds like it’s not just “he didn’t like the price” and more like “he couldn’t afford the price” which is a whole different thing. And possibly the only reason they aren’t already in Houston, I’d think.
Tillman's net worth is $8 Billion. Typical Morgan.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
This strategy does not spark joy.

But the economic center of gravity in the valley is literally the 101/202 interchange, and there just so happens to be land available there. For whatever reason partnering with the tribes seems to be a no go, or option of last resort, when it should have been the first choice.

I'm guessing the math (especially for residential units) just doesn't work.

Every time someone votes they interact with it. Every interaction helps it get on people's feed. I actually don't think it was a terrible way to tell people they are still around. I think it looks very amateur but if they get the word out that the Coyotes could be in YOUR city!!!! it could be help them at least get word out that they maybe, just maybe, stay.

The Fiesta Mall thing is worrisome in that it shows there aren’t advanced talks with the tribe. There wasn’t a ready-made Plan B that they could just immediately pivot to. If there were, there wouldn’t suddenly be Fiesta Mall chatter.

I think the tribe thing could still be real with all of this. Maybe AM has X amount of time to look into options before having to settle for the least profitable one. This could be a thing where they send out 3 different proposals with the fall back plan of the SR location. Or it could all be smoke. Everything feels so 50/50 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad