Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Fiesta Mall would be wonderful for me personally. And the rest of you (if it means they don’t leave the state).

Buuuuut they don’t have a prayer of winning a vote in Mesa.

The time to do this was before or parallel with the TED. But Meruelo spent 250k on the TED campaign, and apparently there was no backup plan, so none of this inspires any confidence.
"Look" as much as you want, we want shovels in the ground.
Dueling elections would’ve been entertaining. Until both said no. Mesa by an even bigger margin.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
If i have to fly to Mesa and convince every household myself and mow lawns and do everything to secure a Vote, then i am willing to do that.
I am prepared to make that sacrifice.

And yes i am serious.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
It seems like Plan B didn't start out as Plan B, but might have been Plan A until Tempe became Plan A. Then ownership got cocky, shelved it, got burned, and are now scrambling to revive it.

If Tempe had to go to a vote, that means it wasn't a done deal yet. Meruelo and co. should have known better. If I'm selling something, I'm not just focused on one buyer. I'm talking to every buyer until someone forks over the skrill.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It seems like Plan B didn't start out as Plan B, but might have been Plan A until Tempe became Plan A. Then ownership got cocky, shelved it, got burned, and are now scrambling to revive it.

If Tempe had to go to a vote, that means it wasn't a done deal yet. Meruelo and co. should have known better. If I'm selling something, I'm not just focused on one buyer. I'm talking to every buyer until someone forks over the skrill.

There was almost no effort put into a $2 billion deal by the developer who was supposedly eager to close. Either he is tapped out and knew he couldn't get financing at current rates or it's just ineptitude. Neither is comforting. The bag of all bags was fumbled. If I'm the league, I'd be absolutely furious.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

This site isn't large enough for a TED, as far as I can tell. And I forget that some developer bought it up and wanted to turn it into medical offices, so the city doesn't even have control at this point.

Maybe Mesa can pass some tax break backdoor thing without much fuss and the Coyotes can close on the land with the current owner. Maybe.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This site isn't large enough for a TED, as far as I can tell. And I forget that some developer bought it up and wanted to turn it into medical offices, so the city doesn't even have control at this point.

Maybe Mesa can pass some tax break backdoor thing without much fuss and the Coyotes can close on the land with the current owner. Maybe.

Isn't it the same guy who owns part of the TED site and who was going to be bought out by Bluebird? A preexisting relationship! :laugh:

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Until the playoffs
Right. But teams can't survive on playoff money only.

I was just pointing out that people didn't show up to Glendale even when the team just showed promise. Attendance the very next season after that run was back down to the same average as the year prior. So you can't put them too far on any side of the valley.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Hell, why not in San Tan Valley? Plenty of open space and land, accessible right next the I-10, close to Gateway Airport, and only a 20 minute drive for Mesa residents!!!1 :sarcasm:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Lol this is where we are now, tweeting about where we should move to :laugh::laugh::laugh:

This strategy does not spark joy.

But the economic center of gravity in the valley is literally the 101/202 interchange, and there just so happens to be land available there. For whatever reason partnering with the tribes seems to be a no go, or option of last resort, when it should have been the first choice.

I'm guessing the math (especially for residential units) just doesn't work.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
If they're going to put it in an east valley corner, Wild horse pass wouldn't be that bad if you ask me. The 202 is the easiest, most shut your brain off 40 minute drive I've ever made :laugh:

That said, Phoenix Rising was there and moved to the dog track by the airport after 2 years, I assume because people were not going that far out for them.

Jagged Ice

Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix

For immediate release? Mesa releases this two days after the no vote? Maybe they want this project, but if it goes to a vote, the billionaire yard signs will be up immediately. This can't go to another public vote for multiple reasons. I like this location after anything in Scottsdale. Just no damn vote. Shovel meet dirt.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad